Service 4wd system light - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > Service 4wd system light

USA Standard Chromoly Front Axle Shaft Kits with Dana 30 4TJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFGStainless Steel Door Hinge Pins

Unread 05-25-2009, 06:07 PM   #1
I8AHUMR
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Service 4wd system light

Wondering if anyone has had the "Service 4wd system" light come on? I just made a 2k mile round trip and on the way back this light came on with the annoying chime. I'm wondering if it's one of those so called helpful reminders for routine preventive maintenance or something else? It came on while doing about 70mph and after I hit reset on the information menu it went away and hasn't come on since (about 300 miles ago). I'm running an 05 Limited 5.7L with the Quadra-Drive II. Haven't had it in 4-Lo or neutral for about 4k miles. It occurred at a random mileage of about 42k.

05 WK, 5.7 Hemi, Quadra-Drive II
I8AHUMR is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-25-2009, 06:12 PM   #2
ROMEO69
2007 XK Commander 

I had it on my '07 XK, it was about at least 6 months ago, I just did a quick reset ( remove the negative battery cable for a minute and put back ) and it hasn't happened again, if it were to happen again just take it to the dealer, must likely all you will need is a quick flash of your computer with the startscan, in my area, if they were to charge you for something like that, it would run you about 50 bucks.
ROMEO69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-26-2009, 05:05 AM   #3
cpdorroh
2005 WK 

Had that one come on once before, similar story. The dealer ended up replacing some sort of sensor, I think.

Or, maybe they did just reflash it. It's been a while, so I can't remember exactly what they did.
cpdorroh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-26-2009, 12:52 PM   #4
merlinTec

Hi
check this TSB http://www.wkjeeps.com/tsb/tsb_wk_2101406a.pdf would start with this update if need.
Regards,
Merlin
Unread 05-27-2009, 08:16 PM   #5
podedwards49

My experience

The service 4 wheel drive light came on intermittently for about a year. Jeep changed transmission sensors, axle sensors, re flashed the computers several times without any permanent fix. Finally I asked Jeep to trace the wiring harness and to check the resistance because the problem acted like a wire was grounding out. The dealership set some time aside to do this and they found a wire grounding out under the transmission housing, repaired it and it was the fix needed.

There is no service bulletin on this as far as I know. Some of the check engine light problems are from defective sensors. But if the normal diagnostics don't find the trouble, ask the dealership to check the wiring harness for a ground/short. A couple of Jeep mechanics have told me they have seen it several times.

If the dealership won't do it, ask them to contact McMullin Jeep service in Hattiesburg, MS. The service manager will help. My name is Frank Edwards.
podedwards49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-28-2009, 04:39 AM   #6
kentman
2006 XK Commander 

I did the TSB update. I have seen the message once since then, but it was a bad battery causing the warning messages (that one and others). Once I swapped the battery, I have not received any new messages since.
Unread 05-28-2009, 07:38 PM   #7
brutusjeep
2006 WK 

Happened for me about two weeks ago. Needed a Flash update, new starter and battery. Everything has been perfect since.
brutusjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-13-2009, 06:11 AM   #8
kentman
2006 XK Commander 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kentman View Post
I did the TSB update. I have seen the message once since then, but it was a bad battery causing the warning messages (that one and others). Once I swapped the battery, I have not received any new messages since.
Just got the message again. I guess that the TSB update did nothing helpful. I am not sure what I will do now.
Unread 07-13-2009, 12:51 PM   #9
merlinTec

Need to see what the codes are now.
Unread 07-15-2009, 03:13 PM   #10
GoGadgetWK
2010 WK 

Thought I would give you guys an experience I had with my light coming on for the first time and how I fixed it. Since then it hasn't come back on. Try washing the area around the wheels/calipers. In my case the snow and mag chloride built up around my wheels causing the light to come on. By washing it at a car wash the problem went away. In your case that sensor could be defective or something built up in that area causing the failure.

Here a thread of what happen to me.

http://www.jeepsunlimited.com/forums...rvice+car+wash
-AFE stage 2 with grey filter-BFG TA KO 245/75R17-MB Gunner5 chrome 17"Rims 5.5 BKspce/25mm offset-Forks/Springs of 3.5" Rock Krawler X Factor Lift-Fabricated rear factory shock extensions-Custom made 1.5" rear bump stop spacers-Thule slide out Ski/Snowboard rack-Warn XD9000 winch with 2" hitch receiver-Fabricated front hitch receiver-5Warn offroad lights W/Fabricated removable lightbar
GoGadgetWK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-16-2009, 08:25 PM   #11
skiforlife
2006 WK 

I had the same thing happen a few times. I work for a dealership and the tech cleared a few codes relating to throttle position sensors. He said it can happen when you have one foot on the brake and give it gas. Something to do with the power pedals and the throttle sensor. I haven't had that happen since.
skiforlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-21-2009, 11:30 AM   #12
ryanlberg
2005 WK 

So i have been dealing with this issue for 3 years now (the service 4x4 system and service electric brake system ) and no one can fix it had it in last week for a flash that worked for 3 days. i did allot of research and reading of threads on a few sites over the last 3days and compiled a list of what people have have fixed to solve the problem. so maybe this will help when trying to get this fixed. not sure if anyone wants this info but this is what i found.
1. LIMITED SLIP SENSOR IN AXLE
2. STEERING ANGLE SENSOR
3. SOLENOID IN DIFF
4. SHORTED OUT CONTROL WIRE GOING INTO THE REAR DIFF THE COMPONENT INSIDE THE DIFF WAS REPLACED INCLUDING WIRING
5. SENSOR ON TRANSFER CASE
6. ABS MODULE REPLACED
7. (FDCM) FINAL DRIVE CONTROL MODULE
8. TRANSFER CASE MOTOR
9. BRAKE LIGHT SWITCH
10. The service 4 wheel drive light came on intermittently for about a year. Jeep changed transmission sensors, axle sensors, re flashed the computers several times without any permanent fix. Finally I asked Jeep to trace the wiring harness and to check the resistance because the problem acted like a wire was grounding out. The dealership set some time aside to do this and they found a wire grounding out under the transmission housing, repaired it and it was the fix needed.

There is no service bulletin on this as far as I know. Some of the check engine light problems are from defective sensors. But if the normal diagnostics don't find the trouble, ask the dealership to check the wiring harness for a ground/short. A couple of Jeep mechanics have told me they have seen it several times.
superchips
HEMI Club Member #21
ryanlberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-21-2009, 07:06 PM   #13
Podedwards
2007 JK Wrangler 

The fix is simple: The wiring harness is grounding out because of a wire being rubbed bare or in this case answer number 4 above. A simple continuity check finds the problem but auto electric is a mystery to most shops. They'll read codes and replace lots of stuff without thinking through the problem. Talk with the service manager and simply tell him to check it as per number four above.
Unread 07-21-2009, 08:08 PM   #14
kentman
2006 XK Commander 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanlberg View Post
they found a wire grounding out under the transmission housing,
When you say "under" do you mean on top of the transmission?

My plan is to swap the sensors in the differential first. I will do the rear one first since it is easier to do. I will then do the front one if the rear one did not fix the problem. The front diff cover is mounted to a cross member. I am not sure how easy it is going to be to pull the cover off.

It would be nice if I could just disable this warning message. I do not need nor want the Jeep to provide me this information. I am fully capable to keep an eye out for leaks without any help. It is an annoyance to me. It sounded like a good idea at first. Now, I hate the idea since it is not working properly.
Unread 07-22-2009, 10:56 AM   #15
ryanlberg
2005 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Podedwards View Post
The fix is simple: The wiring harness is grounding out because of a wire being rubbed bare or in this case answer number 4 above. A simple continuity check finds the problem but auto electric is a mystery to most shops. They'll read codes and replace lots of stuff without thinking through the problem. Talk with the service manager and simply tell him to check it as per number four above.
will tell them that when i take it in tomorrow. idea on cost?
superchips
HEMI Club Member #21
ryanlberg is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.