JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f67/)
-   -   Service 4wd system light (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f67/service-4wd-system-light-784672/)

I8AHUMR 05-25-2009 06:07 PM

Service 4wd system light

Wondering if anyone has had the "Service 4wd system" light come on? I just made a 2k mile round trip and on the way back this light came on with the annoying chime. I'm wondering if it's one of those so called helpful reminders for routine preventive maintenance or something else? It came on while doing about 70mph and after I hit reset on the information menu it went away and hasn't come on since (about 300 miles ago). I'm running an 05 Limited 5.7L with the Quadra-Drive II. Haven't had it in 4-Lo or neutral for about 4k miles. It occurred at a random mileage of about 42k.

ROMEO69 05-25-2009 06:12 PM

I had it on my '07 XK, it was about at least 6 months ago, I just did a quick reset ( remove the negative battery cable for a minute and put back ) and it hasn't happened again, if it were to happen again just take it to the dealer, must likely all you will need is a quick flash of your computer with the startscan, in my area, if they were to charge you for something like that, it would run you about 50 bucks.

cpdorroh 05-26-2009 05:05 AM

Had that one come on once before, similar story. The dealer ended up replacing some sort of sensor, I think.

Or, maybe they did just reflash it. It's been a while, so I can't remember exactly what they did.

merlinTec 05-26-2009 12:52 PM

Hi
check this TSB http://www.wkjeeps.com/tsb/tsb_wk_2101406a.pdf would start with this update if need.
Regards,
Merlin

podedwards49 05-27-2009 08:16 PM

My experience

The service 4 wheel drive light came on intermittently for about a year. Jeep changed transmission sensors, axle sensors, re flashed the computers several times without any permanent fix. Finally I asked Jeep to trace the wiring harness and to check the resistance because the problem acted like a wire was grounding out. The dealership set some time aside to do this and they found a wire grounding out under the transmission housing, repaired it and it was the fix needed.

There is no service bulletin on this as far as I know. Some of the check engine light problems are from defective sensors. But if the normal diagnostics don't find the trouble, ask the dealership to check the wiring harness for a ground/short. A couple of Jeep mechanics have told me they have seen it several times.

If the dealership won't do it, ask them to contact McMullin Jeep service in Hattiesburg, MS. The service manager will help. My name is Frank Edwards.

kentman 05-28-2009 04:39 AM

I did the TSB update. I have seen the message once since then, but it was a bad battery causing the warning messages (that one and others). Once I swapped the battery, I have not received any new messages since.

brutusjeep 05-28-2009 07:38 PM

Happened for me about two weeks ago. Needed a Flash update, new starter and battery. Everything has been perfect since.

kentman 07-13-2009 06:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kentman (Post 7303765)
I did the TSB update. I have seen the message once since then, but it was a bad battery causing the warning messages (that one and others). Once I swapped the battery, I have not received any new messages since.

Just got the message again. I guess that the TSB update did nothing helpful. I am not sure what I will do now.

merlinTec 07-13-2009 12:51 PM

Need to see what the codes are now.

GoGadgetWK 07-15-2009 03:13 PM

Thought I would give you guys an experience I had with my light coming on for the first time and how I fixed it. Since then it hasn't come back on. Try washing the area around the wheels/calipers. In my case the snow and mag chloride built up around my wheels causing the light to come on. By washing it at a car wash the problem went away. In your case that sensor could be defective or something built up in that area causing the failure.

Here a thread of what happen to me.

http://www.jeepsunlimited.com/forums...rvice+car+wash

skiforlife 07-16-2009 08:25 PM

I had the same thing happen a few times. I work for a dealership and the tech cleared a few codes relating to throttle position sensors. He said it can happen when you have one foot on the brake and give it gas. Something to do with the power pedals and the throttle sensor. I haven't had that happen since.

ryanlberg 07-21-2009 11:30 AM

So i have been dealing with this issue for 3 years now (the service 4x4 system and service electric brake system ) and no one can fix it had it in last week for a flash that worked for 3 days. i did allot of research and reading of threads on a few sites over the last 3days and compiled a list of what people have have fixed to solve the problem. so maybe this will help when trying to get this fixed. not sure if anyone wants this info but this is what i found.
1. LIMITED SLIP SENSOR IN AXLE
2. STEERING ANGLE SENSOR
3. SOLENOID IN DIFF
4. SHORTED OUT CONTROL WIRE GOING INTO THE REAR DIFF THE COMPONENT INSIDE THE DIFF WAS REPLACED INCLUDING WIRING
5. SENSOR ON TRANSFER CASE
6. ABS MODULE REPLACED
7. (FDCM) FINAL DRIVE CONTROL MODULE
8. TRANSFER CASE MOTOR
9. BRAKE LIGHT SWITCH
10. The service 4 wheel drive light came on intermittently for about a year. Jeep changed transmission sensors, axle sensors, re flashed the computers several times without any permanent fix. Finally I asked Jeep to trace the wiring harness and to check the resistance because the problem acted like a wire was grounding out. The dealership set some time aside to do this and they found a wire grounding out under the transmission housing, repaired it and it was the fix needed.

There is no service bulletin on this as far as I know. Some of the check engine light problems are from defective sensors. But if the normal diagnostics don't find the trouble, ask the dealership to check the wiring harness for a ground/short. A couple of Jeep mechanics have told me they have seen it several times.

Podedwards 07-21-2009 07:06 PM

The fix is simple: The wiring harness is grounding out because of a wire being rubbed bare or in this case answer number 4 above. A simple continuity check finds the problem but auto electric is a mystery to most shops. They'll read codes and replace lots of stuff without thinking through the problem. Talk with the service manager and simply tell him to check it as per number four above.

kentman 07-21-2009 08:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ryanlberg (Post 7619534)
they found a wire grounding out under the transmission housing,

When you say "under" do you mean on top of the transmission?

My plan is to swap the sensors in the differential first. I will do the rear one first since it is easier to do. I will then do the front one if the rear one did not fix the problem. The front diff cover is mounted to a cross member. I am not sure how easy it is going to be to pull the cover off.

It would be nice if I could just disable this warning message. I do not need nor want the Jeep to provide me this information. I am fully capable to keep an eye out for leaks without any help. It is an annoyance to me. It sounded like a good idea at first. Now, I hate the idea since it is not working properly.

ryanlberg 07-22-2009 10:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Podedwards (Post 7622412)
The fix is simple: The wiring harness is grounding out because of a wire being rubbed bare or in this case answer number 4 above. A simple continuity check finds the problem but auto electric is a mystery to most shops. They'll read codes and replace lots of stuff without thinking through the problem. Talk with the service manager and simply tell him to check it as per number four above.

will tell them that when i take it in tomorrow. idea on cost?

The time now is 12:01 AM.