service 4wd - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > service 4wd

SPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!FLASH SALE! Open thread to reveil the Newest Sale @ ROCKRIIntroducing MONSTALINERô UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 02-01-2015, 02:13 PM   #1
nvrdone1
2007 WK 

service 4wd

Ok, yesterday when I went to pull my boat up the ramp, I grabbed the lever to engage 4 low and the "service 4wd " light came on.
When I got home I did a code scan and no codes found. I did the key dance - 3 off & on and the light stays off until I try to engage 4 low again - then the light comes back on.
The only thing I could thing of is that when I had the tires rotated on Monday a speed sensor wire was damaged. I checked all the wires and fond no damage.
I know there is lots of threads on the 4wd problem, But I couldn't find anything that seems to relate.
Any ideas ??
07 overland hemi.

nvrdone1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-01-2015, 02:47 PM   #2
CavallinoRed
2006 WK 

Have you had the N23 recall done?

If so ..try the fuse pull trick (nice write up by Troy123 on post #1357). It's only temporary but if it restores 4low function points to being a N23 problem. Fuse #25 for years 2005-2007. Pull fuse #33 for 2008-2010.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f67/n...l#post20487369
CavallinoRed is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-01-2015, 03:11 PM   #3
nvrdone1
2007 WK 

Font know if the recall has been done. I just bought it 2 months ago, but I will call the dealer tomorrow.
Where is fuse 25 ? I know there are at least 3 different fuse boxes in the car.
Unread 02-01-2015, 03:15 PM   #4
tom19511
2006 WK 

CavallinoRed posted the location.. under hood

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f67/n...l#post20487369
2007 Liberty Sport 3.7
tom19511 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-01-2015, 03:39 PM   #5
CavallinoRed
2006 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvrdone1 View Post
Font know if the recall has been done. I just bought it 2 months ago, but I will call the dealer tomorrow.
Where is fuse 25 ? I know there are at least 3 different fuse boxes in the car.
You can find if the recall has been done by plugging your VIN into this search. If the one for N23 isn't listed - it has been done.

http://www.moparownerconnect.com/oc/...allsQuery.aspx

NOTE: you should see the N41 recall listed. This is one for the ignition switch. Still waiting on parts to be released for this fix (expected May 2015)
Unread 02-01-2015, 03:47 PM   #6
nvrdone1
2007 WK 

Ok just went out and did the fuse removal steps. 4low now works. Also ran the vin in moparownerconnect and it only shows the ignition switch - n41 - recall outstanding. I will call a dealer tomorrow to verify when n23 was done.
Thanks for the help guys.
Now I can go watch the Seahawks beat the Pats
Unread 02-25-2015, 07:40 PM   #7
forever4mopar

What can be done about the service recall # N23?
forever4mopar is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-25-2015, 07:59 PM   #8
CavallinoRed
2006 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by forever4mopar View Post
What can be done about the service recall # N23?
If you had the N23 done before July 29th and you have lost 4low you can try having it re-flashed using the new procedure they put in place on that date. Works for most but not all. Should be no charge. Take a copy of this with you http://www.wkjeeps.com/TSB/tsb_wk_2102214a.pdf

Cases where the 7/29 flash doesn't work with the C140F error that can't be cleared, the transfer case actuator will need to be replaced. This is the part the caused the recall in the first place.

If the dealer says you need a new actuator, takes opening a STAR case and pushing (as they still will not admit to the connection) but you can also get this covered. Review the LONG N23 tread or PM if you get to that point.
Unread 03-06-2015, 12:54 AM   #9
Palak
2008 WK 

Curiosity.. had this same issue myself..

when you say pull that fuse.. what does that fuse control?... Don't have manual handy.. or the Jeep, lol.

Also, a little history on MY case.. the first occurrence of the issue started in Jan of 2014.. it was about 7 degrees, the jeep would NOT start (due to cold and GP issues) to the point of a DEAD battery.. I had it jumped by large diesel... (I was moving, trailer was on and we were about to head out on our 1600 mile move... was NOT waiting till morning.. so YES, I jumped a COLD battery)

immediately upon the engine cranking over, the service 4WD came on... just lack of time, didn't get to it for SOME time... months... in those months, at various times I attempted to engage 4WD to no avail.. recently, I FINALLY changed the battery.. and TADA! 4WD works!

and I ran my vin through that link.. and n41 is all that appears as well.
Palak is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-06-2015, 11:24 AM   #10
CavallinoRed
2006 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palak View Post
Curiosity.. had this same issue myself..

when you say pull that fuse.. what does that fuse control?... Don't have manual handy.. or the Jeep, lol.

Also, a little history on MY case.. the first occurrence of the issue started in Jan of 2014.. it was about 7 degrees, the jeep would NOT start (due to cold and GP issues) to the point of a DEAD battery.. I had it jumped by large diesel... (I was moving, trailer was on and we were about to head out on our 1600 mile move... was NOT waiting till morning.. so YES, I jumped a COLD battery)

immediately upon the engine cranking over, the service 4WD came on... just lack of time, didn't get to it for SOME time... months... in those months, at various times I attempted to engage 4WD to no avail.. recently, I FINALLY changed the battery.. and TADA! 4WD works!

and I ran my vin through that link.. and n41 is all that appears as well.
Glad you have 4low. Bad battery is a bane to modern cars and can cause all sorts of odd errors.

I think most owners do not have a problem with N23 but they tend to treat the ones that do with a "not connected" or "you're the first one with this problem" response.

The fuse pull trick is used if you have lost 4low/neutral due to N23. The fuse box is located under-hood drivers side and is the one for the FDCM. #25 on '05-'07 and #33 on '08-'10. You pull the fuse, start the vehicle and move it back a few yards then forward a few yards then shut of and replace the fuse. Only temp fix however as only clears the error and will error again but can be weeks or months before it comes back.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.