"Service 4 Wheel Drive System" P73 Didn't Work - JeepForum.com
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 85 Old 02-02-2016, 04:26 PM Thread Starter
SinnStyle
2005 WK 

"Service 4 Wheel Drive System" P73 Didn't Work

I just got my Jeep back from the dealer. I had the P73 recall done which was supposed to fix the N23 recall. It's a 2005 5.7 QD2.

What else could be causing The 4 Wheel Low light to flash, Then once put into gear the Service light comes on? Actuator?

2005 Limited. 5.7L Hemi 4x4 QDII
Magnaflow. Flashpaq. OME 3" HD lift. 265/75/17 M/T's
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 85 Old 02-02-2016, 04:49 PM
CavallinoRed
2006 WK 

The P73 is not a recall. Its a customer service notice to have the N23 recall done using the procedure revised on 7/29/14.

You need to find out what the error code(s) are that is causing the Service 4x4 System message. If it is C140F this is an error for the alignment of the transfer case actuator. If C140F error can't be cleared during the N23 flash, it means the N23 programming thinks your actuator has a bad circuit board. Cracked tracings on this board is what caused inadvertent shifts into neutral when starting which was the cause for N23 in the first place. If this is your problem the actuator needs to be replaced but should be covered under the recall. More info on this here. http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f777/...ained-3100337/

But you need to find out what the error codes are first.
post #3 of 85 Old 02-02-2016, 05:04 PM Thread Starter
SinnStyle
2005 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CavallinoRed View Post
The P73 is not a recall. Its a customer service notice to have the N23 recall done using the procedure revised on 7/29/14.

You need to find out what the error code(s) are that is causing the Service 4x4 System message. If it is C140F this is an error for the alignment of the transfer case actuator. If C140F error can't be cleared during the N23 flash, it means the N23 programming thinks your actuator has a bad circuit board. Cracked tracings on this board is what caused inadvertent shifts into neutral when starting which was the cause for N23 in the first place. If this is your problem the actuator needs to be replaced but should be covered under the recall. More info on this here. http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f777/...ained-3100337/

But you need to find out what the error codes are first.

Ok that's very helpful. I'll have my mechanic check the codes for me in the morning.

I have an off road trip this weekend, Without the use of "4-Low", Does the Quadra Drive II still use electronic limited slip front and rear? Are my capabilities still better than an open diff 4x4? (ill be going on a 40 mile trip where they say having a front or rear locker is recommended) I'm wondering if I should still do it if I can't get it fixed in time.

post #4 of 85 Old 02-02-2016, 06:29 PM
CavallinoRed
2006 WK 

If you haven't tried the "Fuse Pull Trick" (in my write up) that is the first thing I'd try. Might give you back 4 low...for a while at least but can be repeated.

You can turn off the ESP which will help off road and you still have 4HI but open diff. Be concerned tackling that kind of trail without 4Low and the electronic locking function that comes with it.
post #5 of 85 Old 02-02-2016, 07:57 PM
CMSRock
1999 WJ 

To answer your original question "what else....." skip to the bottom, these are the error codes listed below that relate most to the t-case.

The "service 4wd" message usually indicates a trouble code set in the final drive control module(FDCM) under the rear seat. It could be any of these or it could be a code from the ELSD lockers in the front or rear diff.

When mine was acting up and I knew I had a code set I tried the fuse pull tricks and disconnecting the battery and even pulled the rear seat so I could unplug the FDCM, every step of that set more codes related to can bus module disconnects and communication failures but did not ever clear the problem or the codes.

My two options were either take it to the dealer, out of warranty, and pay OR pay for a good code scanner so I could see the codes myself and in the future.

Between my immediate family, kids, brother, parents & business we have 5 Jeeps, 1 Envoy, 1 ram 1500, 1 Silverado, 1 Durango, 1 Buick enclave, 1 oldsmobile 88, 1 honda , 1 bonneville, 1 Mercedes, 1 f350 flatbed, and a old pos 2500 chevy diesel that is my son in laws. Sixteen or so in all and about half are electronic can bus nightmares.

I bought a ds708 (not real cheap) to diagnose these types of issues because without a code reader I was grasping straws on a internet forum blindly. My WK had 11 codes, 6 in the FDCM. Not really sure what caused them because after reading and clearing them once they stayed gone. Do you think the dealer would have cleared the codes and let me go without selling me parts and labor that was not needed?

From the WK Factory Service Manual index of diagnostic trouble codes.

C1400-TRANSFER CASE RANGE SELECT
SWITCH PERFORMANCE . . . . . . . . . . . . . .21-884
C1401-TRANSFER CASE RANGE SELECT
SWITCH CIRCUIT LOW. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .21-889
C1402-TRANSFER CASE RANGE SELECT
SWITCH CIRCUIT HIGH. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .21-894
C1403-TRANSFER CASE RANGE POSITION
SENSOR PERFORMANCE . . . . . . . . . . . . . .21-898
C1404-TRANSFER CASE RANGE POSITION
SENSOR CIRCUIT LOW. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .21-905
C1405-TRANSFER CASE RANGE POSITION
SENSOR CIRCUIT HIGH. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .21-909
C1406-TRANSFER CASE BRAKE
PERFORMANCE. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .21-914
C1407-TRANSFER CASE BRAKE CONTROL
CIRCUIT LOW . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .21-919
C1408-TRANSFER CASE BRAKE CONTROL
CIRCUIT HIGH . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .21-924
C140A- TRANSFER CASE MOTOR
PERFORMANCE. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .21-928
C140D- TRANSFER CASE MOTOR
CONTROL CIRCUIT OPEN. . . . . . . . . . . . . .21-933
C140E-TRANSFER CASE MOTOR
BLOCKED. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .21-937
C140F-TRANSFER CASE RANGE POSITION
SENSOR ERRATIC PERFORMANCE. . . . . . . .21-939
C1413–4 HI/LO SELECT SWITCH CIRCUIT
STUCK . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .21-947
C1414–NEUTRAL SELECT SWITCH
CIRCUIT STUCK. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .21-950
C1415- TRANSFER CASE MOTOR
CURRENT PERFORMANCE. . . . . . . . . . . . . .21-953
C1444-TRANSFER CASE MOTOR
OVERUSE. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .21-955

The WK has sophisticated diagnostic capability built in but you have to be able to read the system to take advantage of it. Find somebody with a GOOD code reader, read ALL the modules, write the codes down, clear them, see if they return. Report the codes on the forum, lots of really sharp folks here may be able to help you if you give them something more specific to go on.

No machinists = wooden tools
post #6 of 85 Old 02-02-2016, 10:05 PM Thread Starter
SinnStyle
2005 WK 

ok thanks guys.

Someone mentioned that the dealer needs to reflash it 3 times for P73 and if they don't then it wont fix your 4wheel low issue. So I'm going to call them in the morning and see if they can take it back in and try to fix it.

I tried the fuse pull trick. Thats How i got the 4 wheel low light to even start flashing in the first place. But as soon as i put it in gear the service light would come on.

IF the dealer wont take it back by thursday morning, my mechanic has a pretty good code reader, he should be able to ell me whats goin on.

post #7 of 85 Old 02-03-2016, 02:01 PM Thread Starter
SinnStyle
2005 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMSRock View Post
The WK has sophisticated diagnostic capability built in but you have to be able to read the system to take advantage of it. Find somebody with a GOOD code reader, read ALL the modules, write the codes down, clear them, see if they return. Report the codes on the forum, lots of really sharp folks here may be able to help you if you give them something more specific to go on.

Ok so my mechanic pulled the code:

C140E-TRANSFER CASE MOTOR
BLOCKED. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .21-937

Any idea what this means?

post #8 of 85 Old 02-04-2016, 08:23 AM
WK-CRD
2008 WK 

Is there anyone in the Austin,TX area with a code reader that can pull and reset the FDCM codes?
I'm trying to avoid a trip to the dealer. I'll make it worth your time.

Also, like most of us I do have a code reader, but it can't access the FDCM.
Can some recommend a device under say $250 that can? I'd love to get a really nice one, but at those prices it's just not gonna happen.

2008 WK CRD
Limited 4x4
QD2
post #9 of 85 Old 02-13-2016, 03:36 PM
SuperDude1026
2008 WK 

I'm interested in the outcome to this, also. I had the N23 done and have been without 4x4 lo for the last couple of years. Last summer, I received the notice for the P73 customer service bulletin but haven't done it yet as I'm worried that something else might go wrong. Have read mixed reviews on this subject. Nice vehicles but I really don't trust FCA much....

Strangely, I noticed my cruise control stopped working after the first time I got "service 4wd" message. Coincidence?

SuperDude1026
2008 WK 3.0L Diesel, QD II, GDE HotTune & EcoTune, Yokohama Parada Spec-X 255-50-R20
post #10 of 85 Old 02-14-2016, 12:09 PM
kf4zht
2007 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperDude1026 View Post
I'm interested in the outcome to this, also. I had the N23 done and have been without 4x4 lo for the last couple of years. Last summer, I received the notice for the P73 customer service bulletin but haven't done it yet as I'm worried that something else might go wrong. Have read mixed reviews on this subject. Nice vehicles but I really don't trust FCA much....

Strangely, I noticed my cruise control stopped working after the first time I got "service 4wd" message. Coincidence?
That may be a bad ABS sensor. Both my 4WD and cruise went out when one of the front sensors failed.

Replaced the sensor and cruise works but 4wd doesn't. Need to take it to the dealer and get it fixed so I can sell the jeep.
post #11 of 85 Old 02-14-2016, 01:18 PM
SuperDude1026
2008 WK 

Is there a way to test the ABS sensor? My OBD II does not indicate any related trouble codes although I do not think my tool will pull these codes.

SuperDude1026
2008 WK 3.0L Diesel, QD II, GDE HotTune & EcoTune, Yokohama Parada Spec-X 255-50-R20
post #12 of 85 Old 02-14-2016, 06:29 PM
kf4zht
2007 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperDude1026 View Post
Is there a way to test the ABS sensor? My OBD II does not indicate any related trouble codes although I do not think my tool will pull these codes.
I went through tons of issues with mine and finally picked up a snap-on solus scanner that could read ABS codes. The basic scanners won't do it but some of the more advanced ones will without stepping all the way to the 708. I found mine used for a good deal.

Really though, if you plan on keeping one of these I would just drop the coin for a 708. Tons of good reviews and with the every present FCDM and other issues you'll be money ahead. Or find a starscan on epay
post #13 of 85 Old 02-16-2016, 07:19 AM Thread Starter
SinnStyle
2005 WK 

Just an update, The dealer replaced my FDCM. Still didnt work... They ended up replacing the Actuator. It works now, And they did it all free of charge under the recall.

post #14 of 85 Old 03-28-2016, 07:30 AM
sjones61

Hi all, first post here. I didn't know if I should tag on to this thread or start my own. You guys tell me.

I had previously had the N23 recall completed and then recently had the P73 recall completed. Next day after the recall my ABS light was on and 4WD light was on. Messages displayed were SERVICE ELEC. BRAKE SYSTEM and SERVICE 4WD SYSTEM. Dealer wanted to charge me diagnostic fees to troubleshoot but I refused. They called me back and said that they would take care of it. I took it back and they replaced the rear wheel speed sensor. Picked up Jeep lights back on the next day. After several more weeks at the dealer they admitted that the P73 recall was causing the damage. They then replaced the wheel speed sensor again along with the FDCM and the motor actuator. Two days after these repairs both ABS and 4WD lights are back on. Trying to figure out what next steps would be before I take it back to the dealer. TIA for any guidance.

2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.7L
141300 miles

Last edited by sjones61; 03-28-2016 at 07:36 AM. Reason: Was not finished with post
post #15 of 85 Old 03-30-2016, 12:43 PM
OttawaJeepClub
2000 TJ Wrangler 

I have had the N23, P73 done, new actuator and new FDCM, same problem.

All started with N23 I'll have to start searching the junkyards. This is unacceptable. I still have my star case open and at this point I am more than willing to even drop it off at FCA headquarters to get it fixED!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.