Service 4 wheel drive system message? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > Service 4 wheel drive system message?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineYear End Clearance Sale! Save 20%NEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!!

Unread 07-24-2010, 09:41 AM   #1
crumpy

Service 4 wheel drive system message?

Guys

I have a 2006 Grand 5.7 Hemi 27,000 miles on clock. had it serviced by jeep dealer 2000 miles ago.

Question:
'Service 4 wheel drive system' flashed up on the dash twice then went off again ...can anyone advise what this means ...what is there to service? I cant find any info in the handbook regarding service intervals for the 4 wheel drive system ...its just has an intermediate 3rd service 2000 miles ago

crumpy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-24-2010, 12:38 PM   #2
Walt
2008 WK 

If you pull the code, we can look up the specific DTC and possibly help you diagnose it. Fill out your profile so we know if you have QT-II, QD-II, etc for a 4WD system.

Also, please tell us what the dealer did in his service (from your service receipt).

I have the '08 FSM, but the DTC's are probably no different.
HEMI CLUB MEMBER #45; SILVER WK CLUB MEMBER #13
'08 WK GC Limited. 5.7L HEMI. Quadra-Trac II. Bright Silver Metallic. Class IV hitch.
Michelin LTX M/S tires. Fumoto oil drain valve. Billet Technology oil catch can.
Walt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-24-2010, 01:52 PM   #3
sabre364
2007 WK 

Jeep Grand Cherokee WK - Technical Service Bulletins

Look there for a TSB related to this, i know there was at some point.

To get the code, turn the key on (Not ignition) - off 3 times, it should display. you might have to try it a couple times and try googling how to do it because it may give a few more tips.
sabre364 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-24-2010, 01:54 PM   #4
crumpy

Deleted

Last edited by crumpy; 07-24-2010 at 01:58 PM.. Reason: answer was posted as i was typing question
Unread 07-24-2010, 02:31 PM   #5
crumpy

It has the Quatra Drive 11 system

The last service was just oil & filters ...they say the next one is expensive as the plugs need changing too

I have searched & cannot find a method of obtaining the fault codes without a diagnostic scanner ...unless someone can advise different. the turn key 3 times method didnt seem to work
Unread 07-24-2010, 04:01 PM   #6
duckmans83
2005 WK 

Jeep Grand Cherokee WK - Diagnostic Trouble Codes

This tells you how to pull the codes. The same thing has happened to me but there were no codes.
Unread 07-24-2010, 04:22 PM   #7
Walt
2008 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by crumpy View Post
It has the Quatra Drive 11 system

The last service was just oil & filters ...they say the next one is expensive as the plugs need changing too

I have searched & cannot find a method of obtaining the fault codes without a diagnostic scanner ...unless someone can advise different. the turn key 3 times method didnt seem to work
AutoZone (or equivalent) will usually pull them for no charge. Some codes are down on the Chrysler priority list, so may not show on their reader. They won't clear any codes that are displayed, but at least you'll have the code number to work with.
Usually takes several times to learn the "key dance" as others have named it. [Make sure driver's door is closed when you do it.]

Curious as to what all they are trying to sell you at 30K miles. Copper core spark plugs, tire rotation, 7-qts of 5W-20 oil, an oil filter, & an air filter element are certainly required by the Jeep maintenance schedule.
'08 WK GC Limited. 5.7L HEMI. Quadra-Trac II. Bright Silver Metallic. Class IV hitch.
Michelin LTX M/S tires. Fumoto oil drain valve. Billet Technology oil catch can.
Unread 07-24-2010, 04:51 PM   #8
crumpy

Ill try the code thing again ...but one thing i forgot to mention is that i have LPG system fitted ...and im sure i read somewhere or was told that the GAS system ECU automatically wipes the codes evertime the engine is started ....but it might be bollocks
Unread 07-24-2010, 05:35 PM   #9
Walt
2008 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by crumpy View Post
Ill try the code thing again ...but one thing i forgot to mention is that i have LPG system fitted ...and im sure i read somewhere or was told that the GAS system ECU automatically wipes the codes evertime the engine is started ....but it might be bollocks
OK. You just passed any limit of knowledge I have with LPG on a passenger car. Sorry. My WK FSM does not even address it.
Only experience I have with propane (on an internal combustion engine) is on a 4-cyl. forklift.

Get the codes from an auto parts store before you shut it down, while they are still active. If that fails, go to step 2 below.

Here's the last idea: Get the dealer to check the code for free when you have the 30K service done.
Unread 07-26-2010, 10:09 AM   #10
wkorbust

Mine said the same thing in addition to "Service electric brake system"

I have a scanner, but the 3-key turn trick also said the same thing, U1416, or bad wheel speed sensor. Yours might be different, but its worth a look.

3-key turn trick - shut the doors and turn the key from off to on (not off to start) 3 times, waiting 1 second in between each set and the dash should say "DTC report" followed by the error code.

Once you figure out the timing of it, it is quite handy. I have the added benefit of my radar detector - its boot up time to first beep is exactly one second so once I hear that beep, I turn it off, then back on - repeat.
wkorbust is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-26-2010, 11:30 AM   #11
smcginnis87
4X4WK

2007 WK 

mine did that its was because of a low battery just go to the dealer and have them plug in

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.