serpentine belt please help - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > serpentine belt please help

RIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all ECGS Black Friday Sale!!6th Annual, Beat Your Wife to the Credit Card Sale!

Unread 10-31-2013, 05:22 PM   #1
jeremymayflower
2011 JK Wrangler 

serpentine belt please help

Ok so, any help one could give would be grateful. I have to attempt to install my serpentine belt, since mine came off in downtown mid rush hour somehow.. anyone have any advice for me? Like where I could possibly find a diagram? Its a 2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo, 2wd 3.7L v6 with AC

jeremymayflower is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-31-2013, 05:36 PM   #2
caulk04
2008 WK 

Often there is a label under the hood. Otherwise, try reading the owners manual.
Unread 10-31-2013, 06:25 PM   #3
yzjwk
2005 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremymayflower View Post
Ok so, any help one could give would be grateful. I have to attempt to install my serpentine belt, since mine came off in downtown mid rush hour somehow.. anyone have any advice for me? Like where I could possibly find a diagram? Its a 2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo, 2wd 3.7L v6 with AC
as stated , the routing label is under the hood . If your belt just broke , i would check your free spinning idler pulleys and make sure one isn't siezed .you will need a basic socket set and a breaker bar helps too if you can fit one in there with a socket on the tensioner bolt.Your not undoing a nut , the tensioner will move in an arch under spring tension .I think its almost center of the engine to the right f the AC. also put your socket on and make sure the tensioner moves freely before you start. I like to route the belt first by sticking an end loop of belt down and around the big crank pulley then hold one side of the rest of the loop in each hand .follow the routing label untill i end up at one of the smooth idler pulleys so i can just pull down with one hand to keep tension on the belt while i put the socket on the tensioner . rotate the tensioner and slide the last bit of belt under the smooth pulley . That's the best i could do for instructions . I assume since your asking , you've probably never done one so i tried to be as descriptive as possible .
Good luck
00 WJ 4.0
yzjwk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-01-2013, 03:24 PM   #4
jeremymayflower
2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by yzjwk View Post

as stated , the routing label is under the hood . If your belt just broke , i would check your free spinning idler pulleys and make sure one isn't siezed .you will need a basic socket set and a breaker bar helps too if you can fit one in there with a socket on the tensioner bolt.Your not undoing a nut , the tensioner will move in an arch under spring tension .I think its almost center of the engine to the right f the AC. also put your socket on and make sure the tensioner moves freely before you start. I like to route the belt first by sticking an end loop of belt down and around the big crank pulley then hold one side of the rest of the loop in each hand .follow the routing label untill i end up at one of the smooth idler pulleys so i can just pull down with one hand to keep tension on the belt while i put the socket on the tensioner . rotate the tensioner and slide the last bit of belt under the smooth pulley . That's the best i could do for instructions . I assume since your asking , you've probably never done one so i tried to be as descriptive as possible .
Good luck
All good advice! Thank you! Unfortunately under my hood has no diagram, but the package my new belt came in did. I checked my pulleys and one of them is stuck. Thankful I had that advice before I put the belt on. Would the tensioner be the really big pulley that spins when the motor is running?
Unread 11-02-2013, 08:42 AM   #5
Goldenknob
2007 WK 

no, that one is your main pully that makes everything else turn when the belt is attached.
Goldenknob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-02-2013, 12:29 PM   #6
jeremymayflower
2011 JK Wrangler 

Should the idler pulley be spinning as well when I start it?
Unread 11-02-2013, 02:45 PM   #7
Goldenknob
2007 WK 

if you don't have a belt and you start it. The only thing that will turn is your main. If you have a belt. Everything turns.
Goldenknob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-02-2013, 03:21 PM   #8
jeremymayflower
2011 JK Wrangler 

Alright, once I finally got the pulley to replace and actually got motivated to get to work this was less than a 5 minute job. Thanks for all of the help, im sure I would have struggled for a while wihout it. Especially trying to put the belt on! This is why I love JeepForum! I plan on doing the lift soon I pretty much guarantee ill be referring to my previous post for help lol.
Thanks again, everyone.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.