seltbelt chime disable - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > seltbelt chime disable

Building a Bumper?Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~

Unread 02-04-2009, 07:43 AM   #16
TaosBob
2007 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimwww View Post
Well I did it on mine.. used it the next day and the chime still comes on when driving without the belt on.. so I'd say this doesn't work as a permanent sol'n - prob works only for that time that you do it.
No, it should be permanent. I had to do it several times before it "took."

Disclaimer: I don't use the seat belts on dirt road to my house 3/4 mile long with speed limit of 20 mph.

Traded in on 2012 Hyundai Azera: 2007 Grand Cherokee Laredo, Rocky Mountain Edition, Bright Silver, 4.7L V-8, factory hitch and tow hooks, Mopar rock rails, Mopar skid plates, Rusty's 2-inch BB with shocks, cabin air filtration. Firestone Destination AT tires 255/70/R17, 4xGuard skids--front, rear, and belly, BDS rear diff guard, OME rear shocks.
TaosBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-04-2009, 10:21 AM   #17
jeepinbowhunter
2014 JK Wrangler 

It took me 3 tries to get done.

i don't use my belt when I'm driving through corn & bean fields to go get the cards from my game cameras, or swaping cars in the driveway.
2006 XK Commander (Daily Driver)
2014 JK Unlimited Sahara (On Order)
jeepinbowhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-04-2009, 10:34 AM   #18
jimwww
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Hmm
I will have to try it again
Unread 02-04-2009, 10:36 AM   #19
mcurcio1989
1976 CJ7 

I could be wrong but if you look around where the belt coils up around the floor you should be able to find the swithc. Yuor probably going to have to take some panels off but once you get there you should be able to find a simple way of disabling the switch. That might be easier in the long run.
mcurcio1989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-04-2009, 11:06 AM   #20
Swayse
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcurcio1989 View Post
I could be wrong but if you look around where the belt coils up around the floor you should be able to find the swithc. Yuor probably going to have to take some panels off but once you get there you should be able to find a simple way of disabling the switch. That might be easier in the long run.
That worked really well on my dodge truck, just shorted the 2 wires across. But on my Jeep, there are more than 2 wires in the seat belt latch.
Unread 02-04-2009, 02:19 PM   #21
RFisher

I have to admit on my 08 grand cherokee limit using this sequence, I was not able to disable my seat belt chime. I had to take it into the dealer and they did it for me.
RFisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-05-2009, 04:58 PM   #22
wk_crd56
2008 WK 

I had success with my '08 GC CRD. It took 4 attempts and on the 4th there was the single chime merlinTec spoke of
Unread 02-09-2009, 03:58 AM   #23
melting

I used the method from post number 6 on my 09 KK. It worked on the first try and the chime has now been disabled for the last three days. Thanks for the tip.
melting is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-14-2009, 09:05 AM   #24
EMVirostek

I have tried this about 6 times so far, and no luck whatsoever...I get in the car, close the doors, turn the key to on, wait for the chime to stop, buckle and unbuckle 3-6 times, end with the belt buckled, then turn to off...never once got a confirmation chime...alarm still goes off...what gives? i have an 05
EMVirostek is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-16-2009, 05:55 PM   #25
ignatz
2009 WK 

I just did this on my new '09. I had an '05 before and it works on both. It took a few times to figure it out, but here is the trick and probably what those that can't get it to work are missing.

Follow the procedure from MerlinTec. The important part is the last step. Turn the key from On to Acc and not all the way off. You should hear the chime to indicate it was successful. If you turn the key all the way off it won't work.
ignatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-17-2009, 03:08 PM   #26
EMVirostek

It worked!!! Thanks ignatz.
EMVirostek is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-17-2009, 10:19 PM   #27
TheTrot

I love this feature, I am going thru and disabling all the "M" cars we have at work because we move them around the complex a lot and we don't really have to buckle up. I don't even think many of the Chrysler Engineers know about this feature!
TheTrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-18-2009, 05:30 AM   #28
TonyVideo

2008 WK 

I can understand wanting to do this when you are not using the vehicle on the highway but I might say it IS for safety. I had a Dodge Colt out of college in the early 80's and it did not have the seat belt reminder. I always used my seat belt except for one time on my way to work after I was running late. I hit a car that had pulled out in front of me (husband and wife arguing and they didn't see me) and I hit that car and took off the radiator. I had injuries from that accident. IF it had the seat belt reminder it might have prompted me to put it on. MY fault for not doing so, the one time I didn't because of my haste. This is when I started drinking coffee first thing in the morning. If you have anyone else driving the vehicle on the highway I would think twice. Now that I am older I still feel a little effect from that accident and my stupidity. My two cents.
1985 Jeep Larado 4.0L Sold
TonyVideo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-18-2009, 05:50 AM   #29
ignatz
2009 WK 

For me and hopefully for all, turning off the chime is strictly for when using the vehicle around the house and not on the road. I like this for when I'm hooking up my trailers and such. I always use my seat belt when on the road. I too was once in an accident and probably wouldn't be typing right now if I wasn't wearing my belt. The red light is still on, it's only the chime not dinging.
ignatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-27-2012, 01:04 AM   #30
1EvilHemi
2007 WK 

Worked on my 2007 Overland 5.7.. Thanks sooooo much!!
1EvilHemi is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.