Seatbelt Chime - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > Seatbelt Chime

NEW JK WRANGLER GRAB BARS NOW at ROCKRIDGE4WDRear Disc Brake Conversion Kit- TJ,YJ,XJSWAG 50 Cal Ammo Can Mount With M2A1 Can

Unread 09-18-2006, 08:31 PM   #1
Chimp Cherokee

Seatbelt Chime

I just got a 2006 65th Anniversary Edition. I always were my seatbelt so the chime never came on until the guys in my carpool hopped in. They flat out refuse to wear the belt. It seems the chime only come on when the front passenger is not wearing it. Is there anything I can do? The p.i.a. guy said he stuck his car key in the seatbelt thing in his acura and this stopped it? any ideas?

Chimp Cherokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-18-2006, 09:11 PM   #2
goose1

i think there is a way to deactivate it. look at the owners manual. of course, its kind of a good idea to wear the belt...

2008 Jeep Patriot Sporkt (MK) 26E
2.4L, CVVTII, 2WD, Black Exterior, Dark Gray Interior
goose1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-18-2006, 09:38 PM   #3
KingPrat
2001 WJ 

Lay down the law. Tell him no belt no ride. You don't need a ticket or to get in an accident and have him injured.

Edit: I see you're from NY. In NY it's REQUIRED for the front passenger to wear a belt. I believe the DRIVER gets the ticket if no belt on passenger....

Nokian Vatiiva tires: 235/65-17

Previous:1997 ZJ TSi 4.0. Some stuff added

Western New England College '08
Golden Bear Lacrosse #13
Week 11 USILA Rank: #15
2008: 16-5
NCAA Elite 8
TCCC Champions

Please read and share!!
KingPrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-18-2006, 11:05 PM   #4
Chimp Cherokee

[QUOTE=KingPrat]Lay down the law. Tell him no belt no ride. You don't need a ticket or to get in an accident and have him injured.[QUOTE]

I wish it was that easy.
Chimp Cherokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-19-2006, 06:01 AM   #5
marcuscl

No Belt No Ride -- good slogan!
marcuscl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-19-2006, 03:19 PM   #6
2006 Commander

There's plenty of room in that baby, have them sit their butts in the back! Better yet, have THEM drive their vehicles. Sorry, but this irritates me because not only are they putting themselves in danger, but they can/will cost you money and points if/when you get pulled over.

Show some backbone man!
2006 Commander is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-19-2006, 04:29 PM   #7
KingPrat
2001 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimp Cherokee
I wish it was that easy.
It is. If he doesn't wear his belt, he doesn't get a ride. Tell him that. If he refuses, pull over and make him get out. He'll put it on PDQ. Either that or he'll be out of the carpool. Either way, problem solved.

I've had to resort to this a few times. People listen when you enforce your rules.

Nokian Vatiiva tires: 235/65-17

Previous:1997 ZJ TSi 4.0. Some stuff added

Western New England College '08
Golden Bear Lacrosse #13
Week 11 USILA Rank: #15
2008: 16-5
NCAA Elite 8
TCCC Champions

Please read and share!!
KingPrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-19-2006, 05:57 PM   #8
BlaineWasHere
BecauseRacecar

Here in Michigan it is the law.

If you don't want a dead buddy when you crash make him ware the belt.

Sorry but "REFUSING" to ware your seat belt is BULL ____!
Unread 09-19-2006, 10:06 PM   #9
odell

2003 TJ Wrangler 

of course he should wear his belt, but it's in the owner's manual how to stop it from chiming. I didn't turn it off in mine, just to irritate people to wear one.
Unread 09-20-2006, 09:24 AM   #10
drewman141
Gas Guzzler

1994 ZJ 

Just to add a little more to why he should wear his belt and you should enforce it, if you do get into even the slightest of fender benders and your insurance company scans the OBD computer and sees that anyone in the front seat was not wearing their belt, they will not payout for your damage. They did this to my sister and her fiance and told them they were lucky they had their belts on and to another friend of mine.

Always enforce the belt policy, it is just a good practice.

MUST GO! 1994 Limited ZJ 5.2L V8 - Light Driftwood Satin Glow
It's a 94 5.2L Limited - trxus 33's on 15x7 steelies, 4.56s w/ front OX and rear trutrac, NP242 swap, novak shift kit, Kevin's ultimate 4.5" lift + ACOS, ARB front bumper w/warn M8000, rear tomkin machine bumper w/ tire carrier, kevin's hardore railz, kevin's ultimate tc skid, kevin's trackbar conversion, rusty's gas skid, flexalite efan, Kolak's performance ignition and brake upgrades. ViAir OBA, custom storage/sub box and I'm sure there's a bunch of other things I'm missing. Everything is a little over 3 years old with less than 10K miles. Looking to get around $4k.

drewman141 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-20-2006, 09:25 AM   #11
wmatthewt
1995 YJ Wrangler 

there is a procedure in the manual to disable this and it is not recommended, with that said its, roughly, turn the car to on until the seatbelt light goes off, and turn the car off, buckle and unbuckle both front belts at least 3 times, you'll hear a tone and that's it...may take several tries and you'll need a friend.

Again, not recommended and the seat belt light will always stay on when not buckled, but chime will go away.

Drive safely.

MT
Unread 09-21-2006, 10:44 AM   #12
nlgrav182

If he rides shotgun, then he absolutely must wear a seatbelt. You're responsible for all passengers under 16 in the car, and all older than 16 and in the front seat. If he's in the back, he doesn't have to wear one. Even though there's plenty of articles in the paper about how everyone but the driver dies in an auto accident, he doesn't have to wear one when he's Back Seat Charlie.

Make them all wear one anyway. Better they wear one than you get tied up in a lawsuit after their death.
nlgrav182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-30-2006, 11:22 PM   #13
RUT ROW

I disabled mine. I wear my seatbelt but have this thing for authority, I don't like someone/thing telling me what I have to do.
RUT ROW is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-01-2006, 08:15 AM   #14
GOHAWKS

Did you disable yours as per post #11 above.
Thanks
GOHAWKS is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-01-2006, 08:27 AM   #15
Bulldog9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimp Cherokee
I just got a 2006 65th Anniversary Edition. I always were my seatbelt so the chime never came on until the guys in my carpool hopped in. They flat out refuse to wear the belt. It seems the chime only come on when the front passenger is not wearing it. Is there anything I can do? The p.i.a. guy said he stuck his car key in the seatbelt thing in his acura and this stopped it? any ideas?
Make him sit in the back, or tell him to walk.......
Bulldog9 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.