JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f67/)
-   -   Seat Modification / Lowering Seat / Increasing Headroom (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f67/seat-modification-lowering-seat-increasing-headroom-1291628/)

Transamman 11-20-2011 08:43 PM

Seat Modification / Lowering Seat / Increasing Headroom

I have done a lot of searching and all I can come up with is a lot of tall people saything that they fit in thier grand cherokees just fine and a lot of other people saying "just lean the seat back"

But I am wondering if anyone has actually done anything to try to create more headroom in thier WK. Personally, I can not lean the seat back far enough to get adaquate headroom and still reach my wheel. Looking under the seat, things seem pretty tight, but I wonder if someone creative enough and good with metal work, could re-fabricate the seat mounts or floor to get an inch or more of drop.

Anyone hear of anything like this, or think it can be done? (at a reasonable expense)

08Hemiwk 11-20-2011 10:02 PM

An inch might be pushing it, I'm not sure you want to lower it too much because of all the wiring under there.

Transamman 11-21-2011 08:06 AM

Actually, I wonder what the seat is even bolted to.....the floor is anything but flat. If memory serves, the floor pan under the pedals is noticably lower than the uneven area under the seat....If I were to take out the carpet and look around, I wonder how much room for modification is hidden under there.

I'm probably talking about some real work now, but has anyone spent enough time under thier jeep to see what the floor actually looks like from the bottom? Would there be anything directly under the drivers (or passengers) seats to explain why their bolt down locations are so high......it might be a matter of jeep choosing to raise them, rather than having to build them up there.

longboy 11-21-2011 08:21 AM

I don't know, but I'm subscribing to this thread in hopes that somebody has some ideas.

08Hemiwk 11-21-2011 09:10 AM

If you really want to find out, Unbolt the drivers seat, unplug everything...take a few pics and maybe we can help you find a way to do it.

Transamman 11-22-2011 08:32 AM

Oh sure.....wouldn't you like to get a look at my filthy floor.

Actually, that is definetly on my to-do list. I'll have access to a garage in a few weeks....or if my patience doesn't hold out that long, I might suck it up and do it in the driveway (which is kinda soft and muddy...nice environment of a jeep...for tools)

Drew 11-22-2011 08:54 AM

I've looked into the same and had my seat out and didn't make any real progress. The seat frame bolts directly to the floor and there isn't really much room under there without totally re-fabbing the entire seat frame. The problem is that the mount at the front right is on a "hump" and considerably higher than the others with pivot points for the tilt functions for the power seats, it would take quite a bit of re-working of the mount and all the pivot points.

There are a few holes in the frame for the pivot points that I moved around and it did lower the seat, but the cross brace sits right on one of the seat motors and puts the seat at a weird angle.
You really need to pull the seat and throw it on the bench to see what I mean. It's only a handful of bolts and unplugging the harness....takes about 5 min. to pull the seat.

I'd love to have a manual seat frame to hack up. If you didn't need to raise or lower and only wanted to do forward and back with the seat it would probably be doable, but not simple. Good Luck Guys!

Anyone have a seat frame for sale? :D

blizzboy283 11-22-2011 03:09 PM

How tall are you?

t3kmitch 11-22-2011 04:37 PM

I'm almost 6'2 and I don't have a problem with the headroom, but when I got in today I raised myself up just a little bit and I could see where it could be annoying. I also came to the wk from a little 2 door car though. If you're coming from a cargo van you're obviously going to lose some headroom.

S197GT 11-22-2011 05:43 PM

at 5'8" i've never been in a vehicle before where i could raise the seat to the point my head touches the ceiling until now. i have no problem doing that with our 2005 laredo with sunroof and have not even discovered how high my seat can go because i stopped when the top of my head hit. i was thinking to myself, "really?!"

i can't believe the lack of headroom. i didn't notice it on my test drives and it wasn't until a long drive out of town i noticed it and now it bothers me.

however, i did discover that pushing the button to lower the front of the seat all the way down also seems to lower the back of the seat as well. at least it made it tolerable for me and is still fairly comfortable.

good luck.

criket 11-22-2011 06:44 PM

How about swapping out these crapping riding seats for some Corbeau seats? That would be cool.

blizzboy283 11-23-2011 12:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by t3kmitch (Post 12551022)
I'm almost 6'2 and I don't have a problem with the headroom, but when I got in today I raised myself up just a little bit and I could see where it could be annoying. I also came to the wk from a little 2 door car though. If you're coming from a cargo van you're obviously going to lose some headroom.

Crap, I'm almost 6'4" and never noticed it the times I've been in my dad's 08 laredo but I think that's because he doesn't have a sunroof.. I'm looking at limiteds and overlands and I'll have to take their sunroofs into account.

Does your's have a sunroof?

JeepMDHemi 11-23-2011 04:21 PM

hey fellas im standing 6'5'' tall and i have had no problems yet with head room. this person sitting behind me though is i would say lacking of leg room. lol. i world like to see if somebody does go through with this mod i have a few cracks in my seat. it will prob need to be replaced in a few years thats is when i would do something like this.

marshall

AdamP 01-19-2012 05:09 PM

At the end of the day it doesn't matter how tall you are so much as the length of your torso and preferred driving position.

I am 6'1'' with a longer torso and shorter legs and have a really tough time finding cars to fit into. I prefer a more upright position exacerbating the problem.

If you only need a little more room the SRT8 seats should bolt right in and give you about a half inch of extra headroom. It's not much but it's better then nothing.

Unfortunately Corbeau doesn't have a bracket for the WK's yet. At least not one I can find. Plus putting in one of their seats removes the seat belt insert and means you need to figure something else out for that.

Were these cars available without power seats? From looking under the seat there really isn't much room to play with changing the electric set up.

If anyone in Vancouver has a seat they could let me play with for a weekend I would love to see about fabricating something. This head room issue is the only thing keeping me out of one of these trucks for the moment.

jedge 08-15-2013 10:21 AM

I am thinking of buying a 2003 Grand Cherokee WJ and while i find that there is enough head room, the problem i have is that the windshield is not high enough. When i am sitting in it, i find i am basically looking at the area where the windshield meets the roof on the interior. Anybody else find this a problem? Wondering if there are similar vehicles that wouldn't pose this issue (i.e. pathfinder, 4runner etc.)

The time now is 06:04 AM.