Scootr29 Build Up - 2008 CRD QT2 - Page 11 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > Scootr29 Build Up - 2008 CRD QT2

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineHalloween Savings to die for!We have Engo 10k Synthetic IN STOCK!!! Hurry while supplie

Unread 04-30-2012, 07:20 PM   #151
scootr29
Web Wheeler

2008 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepinShep
kind'a sort'a a brief thread jack...

Hello fellow Diesel owner

Question for you - does yours spin at 2800-2900 rpm at 75 mph on the highway? Drives me nuts to have mine running that high with all that torque starting so low with the tune in place. I keep thinking it's going to shift, it's going to shift... it's... crap.. it's not going to shift. Contemplating 3.23s to bring the revs down, coupled with 32" tires to get them down further... Can't imagine gear swapping is cheap though.

Only had mine for 5-6 weeks. Have the GDE tune, the OME lift, and tires in the garage waiting for me to have time to do mods and for TPMS sensors to come in... traveling consultant pays well, but is crap for having time at home to do anything fun.

I can't find anyone with a programmer that we can use to turn off the idiot lights for the tire pressure - have you had any luck or did you swap your sensors over to the pintlers? I ask because I bought 2 sets of wheels - one off-road and one on-road, and since we're hoping to move to WA state this summer, the stock rims will perhaps be repurposed to snow/studded tires. too much tpms swapping for me to stomach.

Maybe I just need to find some incriminating photos of a head mechanic at a Jeep dealership or something so I can gain access to their StarScan machine.

on your build. Very nice.
Yea it revs high...the bigger tires will drop the revs a little....I bought new TPMS for my Pintlers...I have had no issues with them at all.

Silver WK Club Member #1
2008 CRD QT2
scootr29 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-01-2012, 10:40 AM   #152
pixelcodex
2007 WK 

So what do you both think of the GDE tune? What kind of numbers are you getting? Any options to specify? I know he does not do DPF delete, but anything else?

Thanks.
pixelcodex is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-01-2012, 11:05 AM   #153
scootr29
Web Wheeler

2008 WK 

Makes me even happier to drive my Jeep....how you not be happy with 440 lbft of torque.....Increase in fuel economy is icing on the cake....

http://www.keepandshare.com/doc/3152...-41-pm-6k?da=y

http://www.keepandshare.com/doc/3152...-41-pm-6k?da=y
Silver WK Club Member #1
2008 CRD QT2
Unread 05-01-2012, 11:17 AM   #154
JeepinShep
2007 WK 

Get the tune. Don't think about it, just do it. They may have the Swirl Motor mod incorporated now - I'm thinking hard about going back and asking for it to be added to mine.

That Torque ... it is just amazing. full torque just off idle.. better acceleration, better HP, better fuel economy... getting 20 in town, 24-25 highway if I don't go the speed limit (75-80mph is just too high for the engine, I think)
2007 WK Limited, Red Rock Crystal, 3.0L CRD, QD-II. OME HD lift. 255x75x17s. Pinchweld mod. 1.5" Alloy hub-centric spacers. F/R Stillen rotors and pads. 4xG rear diff guard and belly armor. Tuned by Green Diesel.

[QUOTE=bhoch]...you never, ever, skimp on suspension and tires as they will save your *** when you do something stupid - and .. you *will* do something stupid. [/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=DeansWings]Rock crawling is a whole 'nother animal. To me, the off-camber low rpm negotiation of lines provides a different type of adrenaline than plowing through mud. It's terrifying at times, but the pride of looking back at what you just climbed over is what is addictive.[/QUOTE]
JeepinShep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-01-2012, 03:37 PM   #155
BAH101
2008 WK 

Just ordered my tune today.
Unread 05-01-2012, 06:50 PM   #156
jiggadog
2008 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by scootr29 View Post
Yea it revs high...the bigger tires will drop the revs a little
assuming no correction on the speedometer, the rpm's drop, but only because you are going slower. i went to a marginally bigger tire 265/60/18, which is about an inch larger in diameter compared to stock and an indicated 100 km/h is actually 98 km/h.

glad you like the tune, i'm considering it as well, does the tune get rid of the hesitation when you need to accelerate hard from a stop? i thought i was going to get t-boned trying to pull out into traffic feeling like the jeep sat there for an eternity before it went.

BAH101..can you clear your inbox..trying to send you a private message.
Unread 05-01-2012, 07:07 PM   #157
JeepinShep
2007 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jiggadog View Post
assuming no correction on the speedometer, the rpm's drop, but only because you are going slower. i went to a marginally bigger tire 265/60/18, which is about an inch larger in diameter compared to stock and an indicated 100 km/h is actually 98 km/h.
I don't agree with your math there. Or you've worded it oddly.. Going from my stock tires to 32" tires increases diameter by 8%+, and decreases the revs to go a mile from 680 to 630. I can drive, using your example, 92kph on the speedometer, and be at an actual speed of 100kph. (until I get things recalibrated, anyway)
From the RPM perspective, installing larger tires drops the engine speed ~200rpm to maintain (TX) highway speeds. Not as much as I'd like, but I'll take what I can get.

Quote:
glad you like the tune, i'm considering it as well, does the tune get rid of the hesitation when you need to accelerate hard from a stop? i thought i was going to get t-boned trying to pull out into traffic feeling like the jeep sat there for an eternity before it went.
From a dead stop, yes. Not much hesitation there any more, and quite a snappy 'get up and go' off the line. But taking your foot off to coast a ways, then deciding to stomp and accelerate still throws you into a momentary abyss as a) the computer figures out what gear to put you in and b) the turbo spools back up. THAT can't be corrected though, near as I can tell.
2007 WK Limited, Red Rock Crystal, 3.0L CRD, QD-II. OME HD lift. 255x75x17s. Pinchweld mod. 1.5" Alloy hub-centric spacers. F/R Stillen rotors and pads. 4xG rear diff guard and belly armor. Tuned by Green Diesel.

[QUOTE=bhoch]...you never, ever, skimp on suspension and tires as they will save your *** when you do something stupid - and .. you *will* do something stupid. [/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=DeansWings]Rock crawling is a whole 'nother animal. To me, the off-camber low rpm negotiation of lines provides a different type of adrenaline than plowing through mud. It's terrifying at times, but the pride of looking back at what you just climbed over is what is addictive.[/QUOTE]
Unread 05-03-2012, 08:58 AM   #158
tnadanzig

2007 WK 

Scootr29,
You have an awesome Jeep. I really enjoy the work you have done. Now much mpg did you loose with the large tires and lift? I am a big fan of the DuraTracs, I have them on my F250. I wish they made 245/70/17 in a C rating. I would love to do this to my wife’s Jeep, but she would kill me. Thanks.
2007 3.0L CRD WK LTD - Stage 2 Custom Spooling Tune, Go Fast Parts
Pro-lite Build
2003 F250 6.0L CCLB - Gearhead Tunes
tnadanzig is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-03-2012, 10:07 AM   #159
scootr29
Web Wheeler

2008 WK 

Thanks man...it is what I need and want....
Silver WK Club Member #1
2008 CRD QT2
Unread 05-03-2012, 12:24 PM   #160
jiggadog
2008 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepinShep View Post
I don't agree with your math there.
you're right, i had that backwards..thanks for pointing it out.

the lag i was referring to is computer related i think because even with turbo lag, the vehicle should at least start moving when you get on the peddle.
Unread 05-03-2012, 12:31 PM   #161
JeepinShep
2007 WK 

Quote:
you're right, i had that backwards..thanks for pointing it out.

the lag i was referring to is computer related i think because even with turbo lag, the vehicle should at least start moving when you get on the peddle.
I'm a numbers nerd. I can't help myself.

The tune definitely makes a real difference at launch "from the line". But the tune doesn't change the TCM, so there's still a moment of when you're coasting along then punch it. Some is the TCM, some is the spinning up of the turbo.

Unread 05-30-2012, 05:17 PM   #162
scootr29
Web Wheeler

2008 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnadanzig
Scootr29,
You have an awesome Jeep. I really enjoy the work you have done. Now much mpg did you loose with the large tires and lift? I am a big fan of the DuraTracs, I have them on my F250. I wish they made 245/70/17 in a C rating. I would love to do this to my wife’s Jeep, but she would kill me. Thanks.
Hey I lost about 3 mpgs on the hwy and city....got all of that back with the GDE tune......
Silver WK Club Member #1
2008 CRD QT2
Unread 05-30-2012, 05:22 PM   #163
scootr29
Web Wheeler

2008 WK 

Finally got my Cibie H1 high beams installed.....got a plug and play harness from rallyelights.com....it is a little pricey but it is done right. The harness allows me to include the cibies when I hit my high beams....lots of candle power now......

image-2531894556.jpg
Silver WK Club Member #1
2008 CRD QT2
Unread 06-06-2012, 12:31 PM   #164
scootr29
Web Wheeler

2008 WK 

Also installed a set of Phillips HIR Low Beam and High Beam bulbs...these are direct replacements after you file or dremel down the top tab. Took me about 5 minutes for all the bulbs to get them to fit. I used a dremel cutting tool and file. These bulbs are probably the best direct OEM replacement bulb on the market...I got them from rallylights.com

Philips 9011/HIR1/9005 65W Halogen Infrared Bulb
• 3000 Lumens
• Design life 1400 Hours
• Light Color 3450 Deg. K
Philips

9012/HIR2/9006 55W Halogen Infrared Bulb by Philips
• 2400 Lumens
• Design life 1400 Hours
• Light Color 3450 Deg. K
Philips

I also bought a set of Bosch 100 compact lights to replace the OEM fog lights.

Silver WK Club Member #1
2008 CRD QT2
Unread 06-06-2012, 05:55 PM   #165
scootr29
Web Wheeler

2008 WK 

Update on the 100s.....actually the 100s fit nicely into the OEM plastic housing. I drilled a hole in the top of the plastic housing and attached the fog light to that using the supplied bolt and locking nut.

image-4013793002.jpg

image-2537087061.jpg

I have ordered some connectors to make it look OEM.....

image-2606316774.jpg
Silver WK Club Member #1
2008 CRD QT2

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.