School me on load range E tires - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > School me on load range E tires

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueRough Country Lift Kits and Parts!

Unread 12-01-2011, 06:40 PM   #16
hoaxci5
1995 XJ Cherokee 

You don't need severe snow rated tires for driving to MI.. I had 70k miles on OEM tires and had ZERO issue travelling through the CO mountain passes while snowing or on my trip to MI during the winter.

Not that you should stay away from them, especially if you are going to listen to a guy running Snowflake rated tires :P (so another plug for Goodyear Silent Armors..)

Unread 12-01-2011, 11:30 PM   #17
WKChris89
2006 WK 

I have the Falken High Country AT's that are E range rated and they are unbelievable. They are tough as nails offroad and awsome in the snow. I went offroading at one of my favorite spots in a winter storm with a foot of snow on the ground and i didnt have any problems what so ever. Sure its a little overkill but hey why not.
Unread 12-02-2011, 08:28 AM   #18
JRLT
2010 WK 

Not much new information but this was taken from Big O Tire's site:

Quote:
Load Rating
The maximum weight that the tire is designed to carry; dictated by the tire's construction. Metric passenger type tires are offered with a Standard Load Rating (up to 35 psi), or Extra Load Rating (up to 41 psi). LT Metric (truck type) tires are offered with ply ratings of C (8 ply), D (8 ply), and (10 ply) and at various inflation pressures up to 80 psi.
2010 3.7L, 4XGuard Matrix, Fastman TB, TB Ground Mod, Injen CAI, 255/60/18 Nitto Terra Grapplers, Bilstein Shocks & Struts, Cruiser Alloy Wheels - Switchblade, Stillen Brakes, Cargo Light Strip Mod, Electric Ashtray Mod, Jet-powered, Monkey Navigated...
JRLT is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-03-2011, 03:06 PM   #19
TangoTango
2008 WK 

You may want to look at the Firestone M/T tire. They are Range-rover's choice in tires, and they named them the black tire because of all the tires they tried they were always Black in the snow, as in self clearing. This was on their abusive Range-Rover tests across mountain passes.

They are great on the road plus great in sand, sling mud and snow and hold well on wet roads and trails. I have them on my 10,000lb dodge ram and looks like even with the abuse I put that truough they will go 40k miles.

I would get the load range "e" if available.
TangoTango is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-18-2012, 10:00 AM   #20
Rkidd121209
2005 WK 

I threw a set of 265/70/17 on my WK, not lifted with factory suspension (yes they fit). They were Michelin all seasons with a "E" load rating. They looked nice and filled the big empty fender wells with very minimal rub at full lock. The "E" load rating completly murdered the ride i would compare it to riding on solid rubber tires, if your driving it every day i would not suggest the "E" rated tire. One upside i could see for off roading is that when driving offroad if you need to loose some air in your tires or if you puncture a side wall. The michelin tires would support the weight of the jeep with only 5 PSI in them. So you could proably drive out of the trail on a flat and not damage a wheel. I have since took them back off and put the factory 235/60/17 good year integritys back on as much as i hate them, it looks like my jeep is riding on 4 doughnuts compared to the michelins but i couldnt take feeling like i was riding in a lowered honda civic anymore.
Rkidd121209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-18-2012, 10:19 AM   #21
Mainsail
2005 WK 

In the tire size I wanted, E was the only one available. When I get them rotated they inflate them to 32psi, I usually bump them up to 40. I don't find them harshing my ride.

Unread 01-18-2012, 10:24 AM   #22
GrilledJeep
2005 WK 

i'm too lazy to search, are my GY SRA tires snow approved?
GrilledJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-18-2012, 02:39 PM   #23
Omelet
Evil Overlord!

2005 WK 

I am running E rated Nittos on mine and they are awesome! Overkill is never a bad thing. They will be a little more stiff than the D or C but that will just make for a better handling Jeep. I love the fact that I have a 10 ply tire, these suckers are indestructible! If that is the tire you want then get it. Once you have them installed do a chalk test to dial in the needed air pressure. I run mine at 40psi on road and usually 20 psi off road.

HEMI Club Member #31 - - - JEEP Makes It, HEMI Shakes It!!!
Omelet is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-18-2012, 05:42 PM   #24
TangoTango
2008 WK 

I'm with Omelet.

Almost everytime I have broken a tire offroad it has been on the sidewall. The more sidewall ply the better!
TangoTango is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-18-2012, 08:17 PM   #25
tjkj2002
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by omelet View Post
I am running E rated Nittos on mine and they are awesome! Overkill is never a bad thing. They will be a little more stiff than the D or C but that will just make for a better handling Jeep. I love the fact that I have a 10 ply tire, these suckers are indestructible! If that is the tire you want then get it. Once you have them installed do a chalk test to dial in the needed air pressure. I run mine at 40psi on road and usually 20 psi off road.
Only 20psi for offroad? I'd be dropping to about 10-12psi for "E" range tires.I drop to 10psi on "C" rated LT's.The ride and traction is so much better that low and a LT tire can take the abuse.

Now "P" rated tires I'd never go below 26-28psi due to very weak sidewalls.
Unread 01-18-2012, 08:30 PM   #26
Omelet
Evil Overlord!

2005 WK 

Haha! I know, I know 20psi is still pretty high. But that is the lowest I have had to go with these to have enough traction to get over or through any obstacle with minimal wheel spin. And at 20psi I can still reliably fly around "Baja Style" without worrying about loosing a tire. I not against going lower, I just haven't had to yet. 20psi is my default!

HEMI Club Member #31 - - - JEEP Makes It, HEMI Shakes It!!!
Omelet is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-10-2013, 07:01 PM   #27
Washougal

Nothing like jumping in on a dead thread, but ...

I just put a second set of Hankook Dynapro all season e-rated tires on my 2005 Liberty CRD. The original Goodyears were noisy and not particulary good for the mostly highway miles my LIberty gets. The next tires were Bridgestone Dueler Alenzas (who thinks up these names?). Bridgestone was rated at the top of the heap everywhere I looked. They weren't much, if any, quieter than the Goodyears and were shot at 40,000 miles. They were also expensive.

The third tires were recommended by a friend who is an auto dealership parts manager. These were the first of the Hankooks. They were quieter and cheaper than both the previous tires, had extra plies to give me confidence when towing my sports car or a tractor and its implements, and lasted longer than the first two types of tires. The latest set of Hankooks now have about 4,000 miles on them (the Jeep has 128,000) and I don't regret seeking them out for a minute.

I run them at 45 pounds on the highway and "only" get 33 mpg at 70-75 mph, with the air going. Not that I'm bragging about the economy of my flying brick or anything.
Washougal is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.