Saquaro 4x4 Switch Panel w/ Custom Bass Knob - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > Saquaro 4x4 Switch Panel w/ Custom Bass Knob

Component speaker deal for your dash - NalinMFGPoison Spyder Ricochet RockersROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail

Unread 06-28-2011, 09:12 PM   #1
compcrasher86
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Saquaro 4x4 Switch Panel w/ Custom Bass Knob

Hey all, I'll keep the talk short and the pics plentiful. First, this is not my WK, I have a WJ. This is my best friend's Jeep, I do alot of work for him, this was just a project that turned out really clean so I figured I'd post it up. Feel free to ask me any questions on this.

You need:
Saguaro 4x4 panel http://www.saguaro4xcomponents.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=6&products_ id=56

Contura Style Rocker switches http://otrattw.com/ just so you know, the blue lens is an almost perfect match for the factory illumination. It makes it look like a dealer option it matches so well!

Custom bass knob for parts: Scosche RLC universal bass knob http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_10092_Scosche-RLC.html

Blank filler plug: http://otrattw.com/proddetail.php?prod=VHP-CAR

First, get your WK like this. The side trim panel pops off with clips and the front trim pops down on a hinge. The cubby pulls out, grasp firmly and pull out on it while prying the bottom of the cubby edge, itll come out with enough force.

The saguaro switch panel is cool, it works by sandwiching the trim between two metal plates, heres the back one in place

Then put on the front one and thread the four hex screws in

Tighten bottom screws first while lining it up to sit in flush then tighten the top ones

Dissassemble the bass knob, its pretty intuitive, bottom snaps off and knob pulls straight off and theres a small nut holding the pcb in the housing

Take your blank and drill a hole sized like the one in the bass knob's old housing and make whatever clearance necessary on the back side, I went at it with my dremel to remove unnecessary plastic

Mount the PCB to the back side and tighten the nut hand tight and then a little bit, too much will warp the plastic slightly

I put some tape over the pcb then popped the knob back on. The bass control has a soft click when its centered (50% volume) so put your knob back accordingly. I had it so 50% the indicator was pointed straight up. If you imagine a clock, 0% was ~7:00 50% was 12:00 and 100% was at ~5:00

I wired the bottom light to the dash lighting, spliced into the orange wire with grey stripe coming out of the HVAC:

Run all your wiring!

Then cable manage it!

And click the switches into place, beautiful!

Dash lighting is great and responds well to dimmer

All switches on

My iphone camera overexposed that last picture they are not annoyingly bright when the switches are on. If you stare at them, yes... but not distracting at all during the night time. If it bothers you than you can just not connect the ground for the top light and it wont light up.

Enjoy!

SOLD 01 WJ Ltd | i6 | QT2 | Moog HD steering | Tow Package | Boston Acoustics Audio | RB1 | Lou's Catback | Stone White |

Matt
compcrasher86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-28-2011, 09:31 PM   #2
Acidcold
2005 WK 

Very nice!
Acidcold is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-28-2011, 09:38 PM   #3
bumzo1
2005 WK 

Wow that looks great, I love how it looks factory I hate chop jobs that make my jeep look like it was attacked my rats.
Khaki WK Club Member #1
bumzo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-28-2011, 09:44 PM   #4
08Hemiwk

Bookmarked.
08Hemiwk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-28-2011, 10:09 PM   #5
compcrasher86
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumzo1 View Post
Wow that looks great, I love how it looks factory I hate chop jobs that make my jeep look like it was attacked my rats.
Hence the cable management and clean hex-head bolts from saguaro, its very organized and no cutting or drilling is involved whatsoever... the sandwich design was pretty smart on saguaro's part.

The bass knob idea was a mutual thing, my friend had the "what if we could do this?" question and I thought of the switch blank and taking the old knob apart.

SOLD 01 WJ Ltd | i6 | QT2 | Moog HD steering | Tow Package | Boston Acoustics Audio | RB1 | Lou's Catback | Stone White |

Matt
compcrasher86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-28-2011, 11:16 PM   #6
sk8rcj
2005 WK 

Sick. Just sick.
Unread 06-29-2011, 06:06 AM   #7
AJeepZJ
2006 WK 

very clean... Nice.
Unread 08-30-2013, 02:44 PM   #8
norwaywj
2006 XK Commander 

Thanks for this great thread. Im also doing this switchpanel with switches. What is the best way to route the cabels from the engine bay to the switch panel ??
norwaywj is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.