SAFETY RECALL: Ignition Switch (?) - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > SAFETY RECALL: Ignition Switch (?)

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Clayton Off Road JK Short Arm Suspension Kits

Unread 09-13-2014, 08:34 PM   #1
Carlson05
2005 WK 

SAFETY RECALL: Ignition Switch (?)

What are your thoughts on this recall, i just received in the mail today ? p41 / nhtsa 14v-438

My thoughts are this, This is dumbest reason i have ever seen in my life to have a recall. How is it that Chrysler decides to recall this problem instead fixing the damage they did with the N-23 recall?!?!?!?

I for one will not be having this done considering they still haven't fixed my jeep from N-23. You don't fix something that isn't broke!!

I advise that none of you guys/girls do as well. (if you have half a brain)

245:65:17 Cooper AT3's
OME 2.5'' lift w/bilstein 4600 struts.
Carlson05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-14-2014, 09:06 AM   #2
clemsonscj
2009 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlson05 View Post
What are your thoughts on this recall, i just received in the mail today ? p41 / nhtsa 14v-438

My thoughts are this, This is dumbest reason i have ever seen in my life to have a recall. How is it that Chrysler decides to recall this problem instead fixing the damage they did with the N-23 recall?!?!?!?

I for one will not be having this done considering they still haven't fixed my jeep from N-23. You don't fix something that isn't broke!!

I advise that none of you guys/girls do as well. (if you have half a brain)
I'd like to know how much their engineers get paid, and the best idea they've had so far is, "remove everything from your keychain"?

And honestly, if your knee is THAT close to the ignition, you're probably tall enough that you can afford to back the seat up a bit. HEY! I just came up with a secondary option to fixing this recall! Think they'll send me a check?
Black WK Club #134
clemsonscj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-14-2014, 09:13 AM   #3
longboy
2006 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by clemsonscj View Post
And honestly, if your knee is THAT close to the ignition, you're probably tall enough that you can afford to back the seat up a bit.
I'm 6'7" and have the seat all the way back and my knee still touches the key. And yes, I have bumped it to the OFF position a couple of times while driving down the highway.

I'd be curious what they do to "fix" this situation. Short of moving the ignition lock somewhere else...
Unread 09-14-2014, 04:47 PM   #4
tjkj2002
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
the best idea they've had so far is, "remove everything from your keychain"?
You should see some of the key chain mobs I get to see at work,some actually weigh a few pounds.I dread pulling in a early '00's chevy but get carpal tunnel just thinking about saturns or that era.I'll spend 20-30mins trying to get there ignitions to even turn.

So basically it is a very valid statement and fix.

Don't get me started on those junk push button start vehicles when a lot of my job requires the vehicle to be in "N" with the engine off.I have to wheel chalk all 4 wheels on Toyota's,with semi wheel chalks, for fears of them just taking off on there own(seen it happen before).
Unread 09-14-2014, 07:32 PM   #5
Jeep Brian

I would love push button start!

Hers: 14 Dodge Durango Citadel Hemi

68 Firebird 350 4 spd #'s matching
Jeep Brian is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-14-2014, 11:11 PM   #6
Jchulski19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeep Brian View Post
I would love push button start!
I would also love to have a push to start but that we both know that this wont happen lol. I am very curious to see what they do to fix this. we will have a locking ignition. we will need a separate key to shut off the car!
Jchulski19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-15-2014, 05:28 PM   #7
HappyNomad
2006 XK Commander 

Everyone has to follow their own heart but I, for one, do NOT want to think about my wife having to wrestle the steering or breaks in the unlikely event of the engine shuts down. But that's just me.
'98 Cherokee Limited --- S-O-L-D! :(
HappyNomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-15-2014, 06:34 PM   #8
TangoTango
2008 WK 

Quote:
..... honestly, if your knee is THAT close to the ignition, you're probably tall enough that you can afford to back the seat up a bit. ....
?

You must be a small human.
TangoTango is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-15-2014, 07:47 PM   #9
clemsonscj
2009 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TangoTango View Post
?

You must be a small human.
I'm 5'9" but my knee is a good ways away from the ignition. My keychain hits my knee, but that's only because I have one of those monkey fists. I tried to picture my knee being able to touch the ignition, but it was the same mental image as an adult trying to ride a kid's bike.

Perhaps with your feet on the floorboard close to the seat I could see it, but with your foot on the gas, I can't even picture how those angles wouldn't work. Maybe if you had concave shins and they turned up towards the key. If your legs are that close to the dash while driving, the least little accident would put you in a wheelchair.

I didn't realize you were trying to stuff Dr. O'Neal in these things.
Black WK Club #134
Unread 09-15-2014, 10:12 PM   #10
ChrisWK
2005 WK 

I got a notice in the mail too, I put it with my other recall N-23 one that I have not done and do not plan too until I sell it someday and the new owner can do it. Not holding my breath that this recall will be any better.
Limited HEMI Dark Khaki Pearl SRT8 Full Body Kit, Roof Rails,SRT8 Engine Strut Bar, Lund Rear Spoiler, MYGIG INSTALLED with LOCKPICK, Kenwood Sub,AFE Intake, Taylor Spark Plug Wires,G2 Silver Painted Brake Calipers, Billet Tech Catch Can, Addco Sway Bars Front and Rear, Eibach Lowering Springs,Xenon Volt HID Lows 6k,Chrome SRT Reps
ChrisWK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-15-2014, 10:23 PM   #11
DeChache
2003 WJ 

I'm 6'2 and in the Wifes 08 I'm not sure how I would knee the key. Though I don't remember from test drives if the key on the pre 08s was in a different spot.

The guy above that is 6'7 I could see but.
Unread 09-16-2014, 07:06 AM   #12
BlackJack997

I just got the notice in the mail yesterday. Does anybody know exactly what the "fix" is? I'm only 6'2" and I managed to bump the key and the truck turned off. I was in my driveway thankfully......
BlackJack997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-16-2014, 09:02 AM   #13
1dzlwk
2007 WK 

I'm the original owner of my '07 GC Limited CRD. I'm 6'2". All I have on my ignition key is a little nylon dealer-promotional flap...maybe the size of three or four postage stamps. One night on the freeway, a couple of years after I got the car, while I was running with the cruise control engaged, my knee grazed the ignition key. I'm talking a brief touch here, not even a bump. I was barely even aware of the contact, and the key certainly did not change position...but the engine died, and everything went completely black/dead! There I (we) were, coasting down the left lane of the freeway, in utter blackness, with no power steering, no power brakes, no lights, no nothing. Talk about big eyes and a busy heart...IIRC, I may have actually sprained my sphincter. Fortunately, we were out in the middle of nowhere and the traffic was very light, so I was able to coast over to the right shoulder to a safe stop. After waiting for the adrenaline to dissipate, I turned the key back to "off", took it out of the ignition, turned it 180 degrees so the "flap" was hanging from the top rather than the bottom, reinserted it, and then restarted the car, continuing on with our trip with no further incident...and none since then.

I remember thinking at that time that the ignition switch was way too over-sensitive and that there was probably something actually wrong with it, but ever since then, I've always inserted the key "upside down" and been careful to never touch it while driving...and have never had another problem. Neither has my wife, who's only 5'3". Having no problem since then (~5 years ago), and human nature being what it is ("out of sight, out of mind", etc.) I'd forgotten all about it...until I received the recall notice. Then it all came back to me. As soon as the second notice comes, I'll gladly let them fix the hell out of it. I think Chrysler has seen what has happened to GM in the media, and they figured that they had better bite the bullet and get ahead of this festering issue before it comes back to do them in as well. The shameful thing is that, like GM, they've probably known about this problem for a while and are just now finally doing something about it. I have no idea whether or not anyone has been injured because of this, but my wife and I could very easily have been, and I don't blame them one bit for recalling it. It seems that many here who've not experienced the issue are taking it lightly, and that's human nature, too. Just don't believe that, since it hasn't happened to you, it can't happen to you. It could cost you dearly...
Unread 09-16-2014, 10:04 AM   #14
clemsonscj
2009 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1dzlwk View Post
I'm the original owner of my '07 GC Limited CRD. I'm 6'2". All I have on my ignition key is a little nylon dealer-promotional flap...maybe the size of three or four postage stamps. One night on the freeway, a couple of years after I got the car, while I was running with the cruise control engaged, my knee grazed the ignition key. I'm talking a brief touch here, not even a bump. I was barely even aware of the contact, and the key certainly did not change position...but the engine died, and everything went completely black/dead! There I (we) were, coasting down the left lane of the freeway, in utter blackness, with no power steering, no power brakes, no lights, no nothing. Talk about big eyes and a busy heart...IIRC, I may have actually sprained my sphincter. Fortunately, we were out in the middle of nowhere and the traffic was very light, so I was able to coast over to the right shoulder to a safe stop. After waiting for the adrenaline to dissipate, I turned the key back to "off", took it out of the ignition, turned it 180 degrees so the "flap" was hanging from the top rather than the bottom, reinserted it, and then restarted the car, continuing on with our trip with no further incident...and none since then.

I remember thinking at that time that the ignition switch was way too over-sensitive and that there was probably something actually wrong with it, but ever since then, I've always inserted the key "upside down" and been careful to never touch it while driving...and have never had another problem. Neither has my wife, who's only 5'3". Having no problem since then (~5 years ago), and human nature being what it is ("out of sight, out of mind", etc.) I'd forgotten all about it...until I received the recall notice. Then it all came back to me. As soon as the second notice comes, I'll gladly let them fix the hell out of it. I think Chrysler has seen what has happened to GM in the media, and they figured that they had better bite the bullet and get ahead of this festering issue before it comes back to do them in as well. The shameful thing is that, like GM, they've probably known about this problem for a while and are just now finally doing something about it. I have no idea whether or not anyone has been injured because of this, but my wife and I could very easily have been, and I don't blame them one bit for recalling it. It seems that many here who've not experienced the issue are taking it lightly, and that's human nature, too. Just don't believe that, since it hasn't happened to you, it can't happen to you. It could cost you dearly...
Back when I had my 06 Tacoma, there was something messed up in the fuse panel where one of the wiring harnesses wasn't making good contact. Just so happened that when it would lose contact the truck would just shut off. Ever since then I've gotten quite good at throwing the car in Neutral and cranking it back up again without so much as losing 5-10mph. But the first couple of times was a different story.

But that's weird though because I remember wondering how well the key was held in one day while driving so I tried pulling it out and was jiggling it all over the place and it never budged and my jeep never shut off. Guess maybe the early models were overly sensitive.
Black WK Club #134
Unread 09-16-2014, 12:02 PM   #15
Clach

How exactly are they going to fix this?
Clach is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.