Sad Yet Happy Day: Sold the CRD - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > Sad Yet Happy Day: Sold the CRD

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineThe Solution to Radius Arm Bind - Meet Lock-N-LoadFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options!

Unread 04-16-2014, 08:14 AM   #1
jaje
2007 WK 

Sad Yet Happy Day: Sold the CRD

My CRD is sold and going to its new owner later this week (will make a nice 1k mile long journey before it will be at its new home). The great thing was that I had over 5 interested people w/in 24 hours and am happy that a fellow racer contacted me first (I remember how fast I had to act when I wanted to get my CRD and the race to the dealer at that time). I won't go into detail as to what I originally paid and what I got for it (as I had a lot of maintenance done and did a lot of improvements and acquired many spares which I kept when towing) but the resale value on this thing is frickin awesome and my investment of spending on the diesel over the gas has paid off in spades in having to fuel up less often and getting 50% better mpg when towing over a Hemi)! I also had an extended warranty as this was my first diesel vehicle and a Jeep to boot (both first personally for me). My wife's family had several Jeeps (older grand cherokees and wranglers) but they were very unreliable and one caught on fire in their garage so I didn't want to take any chances. Mine had the usual problems onset by short sighted emissions bottlenecks and OEM design defects but all were addressed and the CRD never once left me stranded or questioned my purchase.

My best was a 28 MPG jaunt to the Ozarks from KC with the family to go mountain biking. My best towing was 22.1 mpg with my Spec Miata on the open trailer. My worst was a 15.5 mpg rush back to KC from Hallet towing the Miata again with 5 adults, gear and my dog buried in the back (poor Hobie) doing 70+ mph. We stopped in some small town to take a leak behind some dilapidated truck trailer and the guys with me were amazed I wasn't in the single digits or the CRD would just pull up some steep inclines with very little effort. Another great towing story as I was leaving the race track with another racer (both of us with full tanks) towing a similar setup with his FJ Cruiser. He had to stop for gas once and then fill up again as soon as he got home. I had 1/4 tank left (though my tank is 2 gallons bigger).

The great thing as well is the new owner is racer and all fast things enthusiast (I guess we flock together). I hope the new owner will chime in on his new to them family vehicle (their current is a Liberty CRD) and toy carrier as well.

Thanks to the following for their great help and support: Keith at GDE (how quick and painless this was to do this tune that was definitely worth it and I should have done it when I first got the CRD and damn that warranty for making me wait); Christian at CB Engineering for making the DPF delete pipes that fit like a charm (the combo of the GDE and the DPF delete pipe are amazing); Kolak for putting together one of the best stock upgrade brake packages and a must for those who tow as if your trailer brakes ever fail the stock WK (non SRT8) brakes are woefully inadequate; Chirpz / Scootr29 / and many others here who provided great guidance and assistance to us CRD owners.

So what is replacing it? Another diesel of course (WK2 Ecodiesel 4x4 Limited with off road II and lux package - thanks Woodhouse Jeep in Omaha). After towing with the diesel I can't go back to a gas - just too taxing hearing the engine at high RPM trying to make it up hill. I also found that my average MPG meets or exceeds EPA whereas my gas trucks rarely met EPA mpg. Another benefit is I no longer had to plan most pitstops at a gas station and instead would stop at scenic overviews and skip the gas station altogether.

The WK CRD Blog will remain up as I get over 100 hits a day on it and hope others will continue to use it for information. I will no longer update it but can if others are willing to provide info and edits. I will likely start a WK2 Ecodiesel Blog as well.

edit: forgot to mention pixelcodex for help with the actuator replacement on the turbo

#74 Exocet - NASA ST3 / E0
jaje is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-16-2014, 09:56 AM   #2
IIMacGyverII

2007 WK 

Glad to hear your CRD was a great vehicle, sad to see you go.

I test drove the new WK2 diesel with that new 8-speed and found that if I was on and off the pedal in a parking lot, it would jerk somewhat violently. If you find that to be the case, would you report back?

Enjoy your new Jeep!

N23 Recall Victim
IIMacGyverII is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-16-2014, 10:04 AM   #3
furiousbudy
2008 WK 

Glad you stay with a Diesel!!!
Unread 04-16-2014, 11:05 AM   #4
jjt250
2007 WK 

Thank you for putting the blog together, that's a very valuable resource for all of us! Good luck with the new Jeep and I can't wait to hear what you think about it compared to your old one!
Unread 04-16-2014, 03:48 PM   #5
grywlfbg

Hello everyone. I'm the new owner of jaje's CRD. I'm new here but have been active on the LOST KJ CRD forum since 2005. We bought our KJ CRD new in 2005 and have over the years fixed all of its gremlins (GDE ECM and TCM tunes, EHM, Euro TC and pump, etc). Unfortunately the head gasket/warped cylinder head issue reared it's head for the 3rd time recently. So I decided to make the jump to a WK CRD both for more room (2 kids now) and the hope that the MB CRD will be more reliable than the VM-Motori. Also there is literally no one out here that knows how to work on the KJ CRD while MB diesel mechanics are common. I think most of my problems have been incompetent dealers trying to work on that motor.

jaje has already done everything I was going to do the WK so I'm looking forward to just driving it. I am adding a 4xguard belly pan to hopefully hide the DPF delete from the smog inspectors. Since this rig was never sold in Cali I'm hoping they won't notice. Though jaje is including the DPF with the deal so I can bolt it on every 2 years for my inspection if I have to.

My wife thinks I'm nuts to go w/ another Jeep CRD after our last one let us down. I thought about getting a 4runner or something but I enjoy the power and fuel economy of a diesel and a Touareg was out of budget. I'm a former motorcycle racer turned instructor so my trailer is smaller than jaje's but diesel still makes a big difference.

I'll also be introducing the WK to B100 (you know we're all hippies out here in NorCal)

So anyway... Hi!
grywlfbg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-16-2014, 04:38 PM   #6
Red_liner740

Hi...you may want to rethink the B100 on the OM642 engine. From all the research i've done the pizeo injectors do NOT like veggie oil
Red_liner740 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-16-2014, 05:03 PM   #7
scootr29
Web Wheeler

2008 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by grywlfbg
Hello everyone. I'm the new owner of jaje's CRD. I'm new here but have been active on the LOST KJ CRD forum since 2005. We bought our KJ CRD new in 2005 and have over the years fixed all of its gremlins (GDE ECM and TCM tunes, EHM, Euro TC and pump, etc). Unfortunately the head gasket/warped cylinder head issue reared it's head for the 3rd time recently. So I decided to make the jump to a WK CRD both for more room (2 kids now) and the hope that the MB CRD will be more reliable than the VM-Motori. Also there is literally no one out here that knows how to work on the KJ CRD while MB diesel mechanics are common. I think most of my problems have been incompetent dealers trying to work on that motor. jaje has already done everything I was going to do the WK so I'm looking forward to just driving it. I am adding a 4xguard belly pan to hopefully hide the DPF delete from the smog inspectors. Since this rig was never sold in Cali I'm hoping they won't notice. Though jaje is including the DPF with the deal so I can bolt it on every 2 years for my inspection if I have to. My wife thinks I'm nuts to go w/ another Jeep CRD after our last one let us down. I thought about getting a 4runner or something but I enjoy the power and fuel economy of a diesel and a Touareg was out of budget. I'm a former motorcycle racer turned instructor so my trailer is smaller than jaje's but diesel still makes a big difference. I'll also be introducing the WK to B100 (you know we're all hippies out here in NorCal) So anyway... Hi!
welcome...and I will be interested in the outcome of running B100....maybe pick up some new injectors just in case....
Silver WK Club Member #1
2008 CRD QT2
scootr29 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-16-2014, 05:05 PM   #8
scootr29
Web Wheeler

2008 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaje
My CRD is sold and going to its new owner later this week (will make a nice 1k mile long journey before it will be at its new home). The great thing was that I had over 5 interested people w/in 24 hours and am happy that a fellow racer contacted me first (I remember how fast I had to act when I wanted to get my CRD and the race to the dealer at that time). I won't go into detail as to what I originally paid and what I got for it (as I had a lot of maintenance done and did a lot of improvements and acquired many spares which I kept when towing) but the resale value on this thing is frickin awesome and my investment of spending on the diesel over the gas has paid off in spades in having to fuel up less often and getting 50% better mpg when towing over a Hemi)! I also had an extended warranty as this was my first diesel vehicle and a Jeep to boot (both first personally for me). My wife's family had several Jeeps (older grand cherokees and wranglers) but they were very unreliable and one caught on fire in their garage so I didn't want to take any chances. Mine had the usual problems onset by short sighted emissions bottlenecks and OEM design defects but all were addressed and the CRD never once left me stranded or questioned my purchase. My best was a 28 MPG jaunt to the Ozarks from KC with the family to go mountain biking. My best towing was 22.1 mpg with my Spec Miata on the open trailer. My worst was a 15.5 mpg rush back to KC from Hallet towing the Miata again with 5 adults, gear and my dog buried in the back (poor Hobie) doing 70+ mph. We stopped in some small town to take a leak behind some dilapidated truck trailer and the guys with me were amazed I wasn't in the single digits or the CRD would just pull up some steep inclines with very little effort. Another great towing story as I was leaving the race track with another racer (both of us with full tanks) towing a similar setup with his FJ Cruiser. He had to stop for gas once and then fill up again as soon as he got home. I had 1/4 tank left (though my tank is 2 gallons bigger). The great thing as well is the new owner is racer and all fast things enthusiast (I guess we flock together). I hope the new owner will chime in on his new to them family vehicle (their current is a Liberty CRD) and toy carrier as well. Thanks to the following for their great help and support: Keith at GDE (how quick and painless this was to do this tune that was definitely worth it and I should have done it when I first got the CRD and damn that warranty for making me wait); Christian at CB Engineering for making the DPF delete pipes that fit like a charm (the combo of the GDE and the DPF delete pipe are amazing); Kolak for putting together one of the best stock upgrade brake packages and a must for those who tow as if your trailer brakes ever fail the stock WK (non SRT8) brakes are woefully inadequate; Chirpz / Scootr29 / and many others here who provided great guidance and assistance to us CRD owners. So what is replacing it? Another diesel of course (WK2 Ecodiesel 4x4 Limited with off road II and lux package - thanks Woodhouse Jeep in Omaha). After towing with the diesel I can't go back to a gas - just too taxing hearing the engine at high RPM trying to make it up hill. I also found that my average MPG meets or exceeds EPA whereas my gas trucks rarely met EPA mpg. Another benefit is I no longer had to plan most pitstops at a gas station and instead would stop at scenic overviews and skip the gas station altogether. The WK CRD Blog will remain up as I get over 100 hits a day on it and hope others will continue to use it for information. I will no longer update it but can if others are willing to provide info and edits. I will likely start a WK2 Ecodiesel Blog as well.
Good luck with the WK2....we have a 2012 ML350 diesel which is almost indentical and we love it....actually we will be picking up a 2014 ML350 diesel next week....
Silver WK Club Member #1
2008 CRD QT2
Unread 04-16-2014, 08:31 PM   #9
tnadanzig

2007 WK 

Jaje, great write up. Thanks. I am envoius of you getting a new WK2.

Grywlfbg, welcome and if you ever have any questions let us know. I can't comment on the B100, but have been running B5 through B20 since I deleted the DPF and no problems.

I have test driven the WK2 several times. I like messing with the dealer so I can keep driving it and looking over the engine and crawling underneath it to see how much work the DPF delete will be. It has run great everytime for me. Not a huge fan of the turbo lag, but nothing a good tune and some other work won't handle. Don't get me wrong its better than a stock WK, but once you drive tuned you never go back. The new WK2's do ride pretty smooth.
2007 3.0L CRD WK LTD - Stage 2 Custom Spooling Tune, Go Fast Parts
Pro-lite Build
2003 F250 6.0L CCLB - Gearhead Tunes
tnadanzig is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-16-2014, 09:33 PM   #10
816jared
2005 WK 

what did you end up selling it for? I saw the ad on CL, was listed pretty low, think I remember 16,900?
Unread 04-16-2014, 10:35 PM   #11
grywlfbg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_liner740 View Post
Hi...you may want to rethink the B100 on the OM642 engine. From all the research i've done the pizeo injectors do NOT like veggie oil
Biodiesel isn't veggie oil. I agree that StraightVeggieOil/WasteVeggieOil should not be used in modern high-pressure injection systems. In fact putting oil under high pressure is exactly how they make Crisco which is not good for injectors. But biodiesel is refined so all the glycerin is removed. ASTM-spec biodiesel can be run in any diesel engine w/ no modifications.

There are only 2 things to be aware of. 1) biodiesel will gel at a higher temp than D2. And regular additives like powerservice don't work. But you can mix D2 and bio in any concentration. So when we drive up to go skiing we'll stop just before we hit the mountains and top of w/ D2. That dilutes the bio enough to not gel. 2) If you have not run high concentrations of bio before the bio will act as a solvent and clean out any gunk in your fuel tank which usually results in a series of clogged fuel filters until everything's cleaned out. I haven't experienced this myself as we started running B100 in our KJ immediately.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scootr29 View Post
welcome...and I will be interested in the outcome of running B100....maybe pick up some new injectors just in case....
Well luckily jaje is including some spares with the WK! But from what I've read about switching to bio in higher-mileage vehicles it's fuel filters you'll run through, not injectors.

I'll start it off on B20 for awhile, then splash blend to B50 for a few tanks, then B75, and finally B100.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scootr29 View Post
Good luck with the WK2....we have a 2012 ML350 diesel which is almost indentical and we love it....actually we will be picking up a 2014 ML350 diesel next week....
The WK2 has a VM Motori diesel like the KJ, not an MB like the WK.
Unread 04-16-2014, 10:38 PM   #12
grywlfbg

Quote:
Originally Posted by 816jared View Post
what did you end up selling it for? I saw the ad on CL, was listed pretty low, think I remember 16,900?
Yep, $16,900.
Unread 04-17-2014, 08:46 AM   #13
suzieque
2008 WK 

The 2 happiest days of crd ownership?
The day you buy a crd and the day you sell your crd! Lol

Used crds are listed for around $20k in my area, depending on mileage and options.
2008 WK "S" Limited bright metallic silver exterior, light graystone interior, 5 speed W5J400 transmission, June 18/2008 build, C213RE rear differential with 3.73 axle ratio, C200FE front differential with 3.73 axle ratio, 245/60R18 Goodyear Fortera tires (stock summer tires), NV245 transfer case, GT2056V turbo, 3.0L CRD (OM642.980)
suzieque is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-17-2014, 09:13 AM   #14
scootr29
Web Wheeler

2008 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by grywlfbg
The WK2 has a VM Motori diesel like the KJ, not an MB like the WK.
I am aware that they are different motors, but the WK2 and ML350 share the same chassis......good luck with the B100 and I would like to see progress reports. I work for the largest diesel engine manufacturer in the world and there are reason(s) why we limit to B20. I have seen many modern fuel filters and injectors that have experienced B100 and it is not pretty.

I do applaud your taking the risk.....
Silver WK Club Member #1
2008 CRD QT2
Unread 04-17-2014, 12:20 PM   #15
jaje
2007 WK 

On its way to the west coast.
img_1365-medium-.jpg  
#74 Exocet - NASA ST3 / E0
jaje is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.