Rusted Diesel Tank - Lots of Pics - Page 4 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > Rusted Diesel Tank - Lots of Pics

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits

Unread 08-14-2014, 10:52 AM   #46
scootr29
Web Wheeler

2008 WK 

My 2008 CRD has a steel fuel tank...verified with a magnet

Silver WK Club Member #1
2008 CRD QT2
scootr29 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-14-2014, 12:29 PM   #47
Radcrd
2007 WK 

I believe they are ALL steel. The guys claiming theirs are plastic may be thinking they are due to the rubberized coating applied to the tank making it feel like plastic. I have been hearing more and more stories of the rusted out fuel tanks. Seems like they may be all doomed eventually....
3 VW TDI's (sold)
Radcrd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-14-2014, 02:09 PM   #48
ryann04
2008 WK 

I've helped two people locally with the same issue so far. So it seems to be common
Blue WK Club Member #42 // DIESEL FTW !!!! -Ryan
ryann04 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-14-2014, 02:35 PM   #49
tnadanzig

2007 WK 

They are all steel. I pulled mine a month ago or so and it didn't look to bad. The skid had small amount of dirt in it, but overall pretty good shape. Its easy to see how they can go bad pretty quick once enough salt and junk gets in between the tank and the skid.
2007 3.0L CRD WK LTD - Stage 2 Custom Spooling Tune, Go Fast Parts
Pro-lite Build
2003 F250 6.0L CCLB - Gearhead Tunes
tnadanzig is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-14-2014, 03:47 PM   #50
BAH101
2008 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnadanzig
They are all steel. I pulled mine a month ago or so and it didn't look to bad. The skid had small amount of dirt in it, but overall pretty good shape. Its easy to see how they can go bad pretty quick once enough salt and junk gets in between the tank and the skid.
So, when are you going to be building replacement tanks?
Unread 08-14-2014, 04:56 PM   #51
ryann04
2008 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAH101 View Post
So, when are you going to be building replacement tanks?
My thoughts exactly.

I wish someone would make a urethane version of them.
Unread 08-14-2014, 08:20 PM   #52
TangoTango
2008 WK 

I think either some por-15 or that bedliner stuff on the bottom before it rusts would help alot. tanks are not cheep.
TangoTango is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-14-2014, 09:13 PM   #53
caddydaddy
2007 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TangoTango View Post
I think either some por-15 or that bedliner stuff on the bottom before it rusts would help alot. tanks are not cheep.
That's what I plan to do to my tank before Winter gets here!
caddydaddy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-15-2014, 10:38 AM   #54
tnadanzig

2007 WK 

Well, I have a design for a new tank, but it goes in place of the spare tire for my 4 link kit.
If a mold wasn't so expensive, I would entertain a rotational molded tank. I worked as an intern for two years in college at a rotational molding company and still have some connections there. I should see how much it would cost for a mold. My guess it would be close to 10K as they are made from cast aluminum.
Pro-lite Build
Unread 08-15-2014, 11:41 AM   #55
ryann04
2008 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnadanzig View Post
Well, I have a design for a new tank, but it goes in place of the spare tire for my 4 link kit.
If a mold wasn't so expensive, I would entertain a rotational molded tank. I worked as an intern for two years in college at a rotational molding company and still have some connections there. I should see how much it would cost for a mold. My guess it would be close to 10K as they are made from cast aluminum.
What's the damage on the tank that goes in the wheel well? Sounds interesting.
Unread 08-15-2014, 02:02 PM   #56
tnadanzig

2007 WK 

At the moment, I have no idea. I have it drawn up in CAD and a rough BOM for it. That's about it.
Pro-lite Build
Unread 08-15-2014, 04:39 PM   #57
TangoTango
2008 WK 

I'm very interesed in a 2nd tank as secondary aux. tank that can re-fuel the primary for more range.
TangoTango is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-20-2014, 04:47 PM   #58
oldsmoke
2009 WK 

Shame on Jeep for not giving us a plastic fuel tank. A plastic tank protected by the steel skid would have been the proper way to do it. This is really shoddy engineering.
Unread 08-20-2014, 09:07 PM   #59
tnadanzig

2007 WK 

It could be used as a secondary tank, it was going to be designed as a primary tank for those who want to get rid of the stock tank. I am slowly going to build my Jeep to make more rear travel than the stock control arms can handle and want a wider axle so I will need to put in a four link. I will build the tank to fit in between the stock rear cradle. I can easily make it possible to put in a transfer pump to allow you to fill the stock tank. I will probably make me a one off as I have built a new rear cradle that is quite a bit different than stock and allow me to run a larger tank. I really want about a 35-36 gallon tank so I can go 800 miles or so on one tank.

Jeep should of built a plastic tank, but with I am sure like everything it came down to cost and it just wasn't going to happen. The cost of plastic tank to have a low level of permeability to fuel evaporation is high compared to a steel tank. This issue was starting to get more talk when I used to work in the industry.
Pro-lite Build
Unread 08-23-2014, 09:47 PM   #60
Xmind
2007 WK 

Since my Jeep is around the same age and has obviously seen a lot of salt by all the rust underneath the vehicle, I decided to drop my tank and POR-15 it...and the rest of my under body.

I've barely started, but just a heads up for anyone else attempting this, you'll likely need one hell of an impact gun. My cordless wouldn't budge the 18mm (closest socket that fit) bolts that hold the straps in place. I had to bust out the Ingersoll Rand Titanium 1/2 inch impact gun to get them to move...but they did move unlike the skid plate bolts that snapped off last year.

Also, unless someone has some tricks that I couldn't think of, it would appear you have to disconnect at least one side of the rear prop shaft to access the front most bolt.

The fuel lines are easy to disconnect. Only one had an additional locking red tab that needed to be pulled out, all others just have a press in button to release the connections.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.