Rusted Diesel Tank - Lots of Pics - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > Rusted Diesel Tank - Lots of Pics

Rampage Bowless Soft Top Oconee offroadAlloy USA Still AvailableAdvance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 05-07-2014, 07:49 PM   #31
WhiteOut
Web Wheeler

1998 ZJ 

And Edmonton does use salt on the roads.

WhiteOut is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-07-2014, 08:30 PM   #32
caddydaddy
2007 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjkj2002 View Post
The actual tank is plastic,the skid plate covering the fuel tank is steel.

Part # 68025089AC,fuel tank for all WK's/XK's and plastic.I've done a few WK fuel pumps and yes it's plastic.Price on moparpartsamerica.com is $500 with a MSRP of $695.
Maybe on the gas models, but I just put a magnet to several different spots, including right near the fill neck and it's steel!
caddydaddy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-07-2014, 09:55 PM   #33
chevra
2008 WK 

Quote:
The actual tank is plastic,the skid plate covering the fuel tank is steel.

Part # 68025089AC,fuel tank for all WK's/XK's and plastic.I've done a few WK fuel pumps and yes it's plastic.Price on moparpartsamerica.com is $500 with a MSRP of $695.
Its also pretty obvious from the picture that the actual tank is steel ha. Gas and diesel tanks totally different. I was reading and it sounds like Mercedes used plastic tanks in there diesels, but I don't know if they are the same tanks or not to fit into the jeeps. Looking into it still.
chevra is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-07-2014, 10:10 PM   #34
tjkj2002
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevra View Post
Its also pretty obvious from the picture that the actual tank is steel ha. Gas and diesel tanks totally different. I was reading and it sounds like Mercedes used plastic tanks in there diesels, but I don't know if they are the same tanks or not to fit into the jeeps. Looking into it still.
The gas and diesel tanks are the same,all previous part #'s for WK fuel tanks is the one I posted from the CRD's to the gas versions.No passenger vehicle is sold in North America with a metal gas tank and has been that way for a long time,more then 10 years.
Unread 05-07-2014, 10:31 PM   #35
ryann04
2008 WK 

Mopar Part # - 68033748AA

link with description - http://www.factorychryslerparts.com/...8033748AA.html

first paragraph of link makes comment on steel fuel tank.

Picture of my new fuel tank:

I've come to the conclusion that tjkj2002 is trolling...
one.jpg  
Blue WK Club Member #42 // DIESEL FTW !!!! -Ryan
ryann04 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-07-2014, 10:47 PM   #36
xjokee
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by caddydaddy View Post
The service manual says that the gas fuel tanks are plastic. I thought all vehicles had plastic tanks these days!
I'm thinking that I'll drop mine and POR-15 the tank and skid really good.
I'm moving to Connecticut this month, and they use salt on the roads there, so I'd better stay on top of this issue!
Caddy, I didn't think anyone moved INTO this tax-you-to-death, liberal, goody-good State anymore. I can't wait to move the F out and go down South where life is simpler, the cost of living is a helluva lot less, and I can take pride in my NRA sticker without feeling like a criminal.
Unread 05-07-2014, 10:58 PM   #37
hulikner
2008 WK 

Quote:
The gas and diesel tanks are the same,all previous part #'s for WK fuel tanks is the one I posted from the CRD's to the gas versions.No passenger vehicle is sold in North America with a metal gas tank and has been that way for a long time,more then 10 years.
If my tank is plastic, how is it rusting??? It's not the skid. And if I remember, the CRD is the only 22gal tank on the WK and the rest are smaller. So they are not all the same?
hulikner is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-08-2014, 06:39 AM   #38
caddydaddy
2007 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by xjokee View Post
Caddy, I didn't think anyone moved INTO this tax-you-to-death, liberal, goody-good State anymore. I can't wait to move the F out and go down South where life is simpler, the cost of living is a helluva lot less, and I can take pride in my NRA sticker without feeling like a criminal.
I hear ya! If it wasn't for my job moving me there, I wouldn't go. CT is a beautiful state, but it's the other crap that I'm not looking forward to.
I can't wait to see how my Jeep does in the snow. It's been a Southerner it's whole life.
Unread 05-08-2014, 06:41 AM   #39
scootr29
Web Wheeler

2008 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by caddydaddy View Post
I hear ya! If it wasn't for my job moving me there, I wouldn't go. CT is a beautiful state, but it's the other crap that I'm not looking forward to.
I can't wait to see how my Jeep does in the snow. It's been a Southerner it's whole life.
Do not forget to register your guns....
Silver WK Club Member #1
2008 CRD QT2
scootr29 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-08-2014, 05:05 PM   #40
10Xk
2010 XK Commander 

Check out KBS-coatings, google it.

Who needs an assault rifle anyways?
10Xk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-08-2014, 05:33 PM   #41
caddydaddy
2007 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10Xk View Post

How does that differ from POR-15? I've used POR-15 for years.

And, I need one, I live near New Orleans!
Unread 05-08-2014, 06:19 PM   #42
10Xk
2010 XK Commander 

Quote:
Originally Posted by caddydaddy

How does that differ from POR-15? I've used POR-15 for years.

And, I need one, I live near New Orleans!
Same thing but cheaper. Improved formula.

Like I tell friends with CCW's if you feel the need to carry a gun, its common sense saying you don't need to be there.
10Xk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-09-2014, 05:35 PM   #43
scootr29
Web Wheeler

2008 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10Xk View Post

No one needs a rifle that will assault them.....who needs an assault car, assault knife, assault baseball bat, assault fist, assault feet.....all this assaulting going on.

Late at night I can actually here my assault rifle assaulting the other rifles in the safe....my assault rifle does not like those rifles that have wooden stocks, and grips....those rifles would never assault anyone....

I will check my tank this weekend if I get motivated and report back....hopefully I do not get assaulted by my rifle.
Silver WK Club Member #1
2008 CRD QT2
scootr29 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-09-2014, 05:44 PM   #44
dieseljeep07

2007 WK 

I do say. That was a nasty pile up of gunk on the one corner of your fuel tank. But having a CRD WK, I really don't know how you avoid that other than routine under body flushes. I swapped out the standard tank cover for the offroad skid last year. Dropping the tank was a lot easier than I thought it would be. Especially having never done anything of the sort. I noticed lots of stones but really no rust. I would like to see someone clean in between the skid plates and the fuel tank, maybe it is easier with the plastic gaser tanks or on a liberty. Maybe I got one of the better coated tanks. I have had it since new and they salt heavily in Detroit, heck the city is built over a huge salt mine.
Also came across this post. Maybe it will help
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f67/r...0-crd-1416791/
dieseljeep07 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-14-2014, 07:31 AM   #45
7-jeeps

Quote:
Hmmm...if this is actually true, l wonder if the part no. He's refering to is for US made crd's and metal ones are from Ca.? Mine is rusted out too'08 from Canada. If so l wonder if the cheaper plastic one would work?, almost would be worth ordering both to check it out
7-jeeps is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.