Rusted Diesel Tank - Lots of Pics - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > Rusted Diesel Tank - Lots of Pics

NEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!! Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineYear End Clearance Sale! Save 20%

Unread 05-06-2014, 11:40 PM   #16
ryann04
2008 WK 

see how the skid plate sucks the fuel tank tight to the chassis. hard to clean installed. Looks clean from that picture (before I dropped it), even thought it was a mess inside.

Blue WK Club Member #42 // DIESEL FTW !!!! -Ryan
ryann04 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-07-2014, 06:48 AM   #17
chevra
2008 WK 

I think they make the plastic tanks for the gas jeeps but not diesel, which might shed some light on that arguement but i might be wrong ha. Anyways it is definately a flaw if you are required to drop your tank once a year to clean it. Never heard of any vehicle that requires that! And i do keep my vehicle clean for the most part. I am very worried about mine now due to salt and maybe a bit of mud. May have to drop it and take a look since you guys said its not to bad to do.
chevra is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-07-2014, 07:02 AM   #18
BAH101
2008 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryann04
1st. Thanks for not being an un-educated dick on the matter. I was posting useful information and bringing to light a problem. 2. Your very WRONG. The fuel tank is steel, itès rusted as shown in the above picture. OEM does not make a plastic alternative, I verified. If you are assuming and do not know the facts, please leave your speculating comments out of this thread, itès not helping anyone. 3. I clean my car lots, if you seen the position of this, you would know youèd have to drop the skid and tank together to clean it out properly, it's almost impossible to clean this out while attached. 4. No I don't think I'm entitled to free anything. I feel that this information is useful to everyone. I also feel that a fuel tank should not have an expiration date of 5 years. I would have been more then happy with them acknowledging the problem and providing any sort of retrofit to stop this from happening again, as well as notifying Jeep people so they can take proper preventative measures. 5. Thanks for coming! *I tried so hard not to be a a-hole responding to you BTW.*
I actually thought everyone was just leaving him on ignore lol.
I have tried to hit that spot with the pressure washer as much as possible, guess I'll just have to pull the tank, just to be on the safe side. While its out, I'll look at ways to widen the gap so it easier to clean.
Unread 05-07-2014, 09:19 AM   #19
caddydaddy
2007 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevra View Post
I think they make the plastic tanks for the gas jeeps but not diesel, which might shed some light on that arguement but i might be wrong ha.
The service manual says that the gas fuel tanks are plastic. I thought all vehicles had plastic tanks these days!
I'm thinking that I'll drop mine and POR-15 the tank and skid really good.
I'm moving to Connecticut this month, and they use salt on the roads there, so I'd better stay on top of this issue!
caddydaddy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-07-2014, 10:32 AM   #20
Hendrix9
2007 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by caddydaddy View Post
The service manual says that the gas fuel tanks are plastic. I thought all vehicles had plastic tanks these days!
I'm thinking that I'll drop mine and POR-15 the tank and skid really good.
I'm moving to Connecticut this month, and they use salt on the roads there, so I'd better stay on top of this issue!
Even worse, the state uses some kind of spray on stuff (I think it's some kind of liquid calcium chloride stuff) that all the truckers are complaining is rusting out the trucks faster than normal, but the state still uses it. Most towns still do salt/sand though.

I'm going to have to drop my tank this summer and see how mine is doing, too.
Hendrix9 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-07-2014, 10:50 AM   #21
ryann04
2008 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hendrix9 View Post
Even worse, the state uses some kind of spray on stuff (I think it's some kind of liquid calcium chloride stuff) that all the truckers are complaining is rusting out the trucks faster than normal, but the state still uses it. Most towns still do salt/sand though.

I'm going to have to drop my tank this summer and see how mine is doing, too.
yes, I've seen this stuff. I think they use it in B.C. over here in the mountain passes. Not good.
Unread 05-07-2014, 01:52 PM   #22
Red_liner740

I looked at my tank when this topic first came out.

There is no way to clean inbetween the skid plateand the tank. First of all, if you see the pic, the skid cups the entire tank from all sides....There is no way to blast water in there to wash the stuff away.

If i do dive into this, i will probably remove the stock skid plate, leave just the straps and build another skid plate with more room inbetween that you can power wash.

Other option is to space the oem skid plate and drill strategic holes that will allow water blasting into the space.
Red_liner740 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-07-2014, 02:53 PM   #23
BAH101
2008 WK 

Road crews in Northern Ontario use a salt/brine mixture. Its great at removing ice, but also is great for metal and rubber, and not in a good way. A friend of mine who's dad owns a trucking company says it is also eating away at rubber hoses. I see in the puck of the tank skid there are lots of drain holes, might be a good idea to enlarge them. Might be a good temporary fix.
Unread 05-07-2014, 02:58 PM   #24
ryann04
2008 WK 

There is no straps holding the tank if you have an OEM skid plate. The skid plate is the only thing holding it up. You can purchase OEM straps though. But they will not work with the OEM skid plate.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Unread 05-07-2014, 06:10 PM   #25
hulikner
2008 WK 

Just looked at my tank and it's really rusted. I wonder if I can save it.
hulikner is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-07-2014, 06:58 PM   #26
ryann04
2008 WK 

Hope so. Try sanding it first. If it doesn't leak maybe por15 and rock guard will buy you some time.

Unread 05-07-2014, 06:59 PM   #27
ryann04
2008 WK 

I'd personally call jeep and let them know about the problem. Maybe if enough people call they will issue a recall?

Unread 05-07-2014, 07:52 PM   #28
hulikner
2008 WK 

How hard is it to get this tank down to where I can sand it? There's a lot of light surface rust under my Jeep but this tank looks like deep rust, bubbling and everything.
hulikner is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-07-2014, 07:59 PM   #29
jediknight
2008 WK 

Can we service this tank i.e. Weld steal sheet where its rusted (of course once its removed and empty) ?
Wow 900$ for this
Its almost a swirl motor job :\
Unread 05-07-2014, 08:34 PM   #30
tjkj2002
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by caddydaddy View Post
The actual tank is plastic,the skid plate covering the fuel tank is steel.

Part # 68025089AC,fuel tank for all WK's/XK's and plastic.I've done a few WK fuel pumps and yes it's plastic.Price on moparpartsamerica.com is $500 with a MSRP of $695.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.