Rusted Diesel Tank - Lots of Pics - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > Rusted Diesel Tank - Lots of Pics

Baseline 4x4 Lifetime Warranty 4340 Chromoly Axle Shaft KiClayton Off Road WJ Long Arm Kits!Clayton Off Road - JK Prototype Gas Tank Skid

Unread 05-06-2014, 02:59 PM   #1
ryann04
2008 WK 

Rusted Diesel Tank - Lots of Pics

Long story short, I was leaking diesel fuel all over my driveway.
My vehicle is a 2008 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD (DIESEL). It has 110, 000kms on it. I have full skids, including a metal fuel tank skid.

Chrysler Canada refuses to help in any way to repair this issue. They said its not their problem and there is nothing they can do. BUT they can sell me a new tank for $2100 CAD~ and install it for $800 CAD~

so what did I do? I'm cheap as ****. I went looking for aftermarket support. There is ZERO. Custom fabbed aluminum tank? $3000~ depending on time spent on it. So no dice there. No poly(plastic) replacement tank.

So I found a tank NEW from the dealership in the USA for $900 shipped to Canada. Perfect! (I don't know why Canadian dealers like to FUC* us so bad)

So what happens with Chryslers INFINITE wisdom and designing:
They have a STEEL skid plate essentially clamp (steel on steel) the STEEL fuel tank to the underbody. Does anyone else see a problem with this? I do! Don't worry though, they provided foam like padding to stop the contact of the two metals and provide space! (yeah right!) They have 1/8" think foam pads strategically placed in a few spots. Then they provided draining for whatever gets caught in between the fuel tank and the skid plate to run out of. (again.. yeah right!) they have 6 or 8 1/4" holes drilled in the skid plate.

So with my hands tied on what I can do to prevent this from happening again, I rock guarded the **** out of both my skid plate and my fuel tank. (hope it helps a bit) But Chrysler has a serious problem here.

I would like to share this information with everyone with a skid plate, so they can take the necessary steps of hopefully preventing this to happening to them as well. Simply drop your skid tank and CLEAN IT, remove rust if any, and replace with rock guard or paint.

So to end my rant, my vehicle is 5 years~ old and Chrysler sees ZERO problem with a fuel tank being disposable at this length of time. It's NOT an engineering problem at their end..

/RANT

On a side note, I hope this above information and the below posted pictures serve to help others that will have to encounter this themselves.

-Ryan

Blue WK Club Member #42 // DIESEL FTW !!!! -Ryan

Last edited by ryann04; 05-06-2014 at 03:15 PM.. Reason: fixed pics
ryann04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-06-2014, 03:12 PM   #2
IIMacGyverII

2007 WK 

That's utter BS and I'm totally with you.

N23 Recall Victim
IIMacGyverII is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-06-2014, 03:19 PM   #3
ryann04
2008 WK 

pics fixed...

Quote:
That's utter BS and I'm totally with you.
thanks!

I submitted a complaint to Chrysler, they have it on file, I doubt anything will happen with it.
Unread 05-06-2014, 03:25 PM   #4
IIMacGyverII

2007 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryann04 View Post
pics fixed...
I submitted a complaint to Chrysler, they have it on file, I doubt anything will happen with it.
Maybe, that's a serious design flaw as well as a safety issue and as more and more people experience it, around the world, maybe there will be a recall. Maybe...

N23 Recall Victim
IIMacGyverII is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-06-2014, 04:30 PM   #5
tjkj2002
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryann04 View Post
pics fixed...

thanks!

Ever hear of actually washing your vehicle? It's in the owners manual. What happened to you was clearly owner neglect.Common sense should kick in and you should have known having skids that junk would build up between them and what they are protecting and you need to clean under the skids.I guess common sense just does not exist anymore.

Oh and the fuel tank is not metal,it's plastic and will not rust,and your out of warranty anyways.How do you feel that,or think you deserve and free gas tank?
Unread 05-06-2014, 04:59 PM   #6
jediknight
2008 WK 

Good job Ryan ! 100% with you !! A 40-50k $ vehicle with that mileage should never be affected with a such design flaw!
Unread 05-06-2014, 05:19 PM   #7
tjkj2002
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jediknight View Post
Good job Ryan ! 100% with you !! A 40-50k $ vehicle with that mileage should never be affected with a such design flaw!
How is it a design flaw?

You either have a skid plate or not.When you have a skid plate stuff will collect between it and what it's protecting,common sense.
Unread 05-06-2014, 05:31 PM   #8
fishinbama
2007 WK 

I wonder if I should worry about this? We don't salt the roads here. I'm guessing it's related to salty water trapped in there?
fishinbama is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-06-2014, 05:41 PM   #9
schobbs
2009 WK 

I agree 100% that the tank shouldn't rust out, however, the gas/diesel is in a plastic container inside of the tank..so even if the tank rusted completely away I'm not sure how the diesel would leak out since the plastic wouldn't rust away.
schobbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-06-2014, 06:49 PM   #10
tjkj2002
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by schobbs View Post
I agree 100% that the tank shouldn't rust out, however, the gas/diesel is in a plastic container inside of the tank..so even if the tank rusted completely away I'm not sure how the diesel would leak out since the plastic wouldn't rust away.
The fuel tank can't rust,it's plastic.What rusted was the skid plate from lack of cleaning between it and the gas tank which caused it to rub a hole in the plastic fuel tank.
Unread 05-06-2014, 07:07 PM   #11
RMC_xj
2007 WK 

That is worrisome! Good to know that the part can be found in the US for cheaper though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishinbama View Post
I wonder if I should worry about this? We don't salt the roads here. I'm guessing it's related to salty water trapped in there?
Ryan is from Edmonton, and as a former resident of that illustrious metropolis, I can say for certain that salt is not used. (at least not as of 2008) The city uses sand, instead.
Edmonton's climate is all sorts of FUBAR though. In winter, a 7 month long season, temps can drop to -40C (-40F) with wind chill. Summer, while short, can get up to 30C (85F). All sorts of wonky. All time historical low/high with applicable windchill/humidex is -55C to +40C. Talk about a big range.

TL: DR - fishinbama, you'll be okay.
RMC_xj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-06-2014, 07:19 PM   #12
scootr29
Web Wheeler

2008 WK 

Thanks for taking the pics and posting here....and reminding me I need to drop my skid plates and clean out the mud.....
Silver WK Club Member #1
2008 CRD QT2
scootr29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-06-2014, 10:29 PM   #13
ryann04
2008 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjkj2002 View Post
Ever hear of actually washing your vehicle? It's in the owners manual. What happened to you was clearly owner neglect.Common sense should kick in and you should have known having skids that junk would build up between them and what they are protecting and you need to clean under the skids.I guess common sense just does not exist anymore.

Oh and the fuel tank is not metal,it's plastic and will not rust,and your out of warranty anyways.How do you feel that,or think you deserve and free gas tank?
1st. Thanks for not being an un-educated dick on the matter. I was posting useful information and bringing to light a problem.

2. Your very WRONG. The fuel tank is steel, itès rusted as shown in the above picture. OEM does not make a plastic alternative, I verified. If you are assuming and do not know the facts, please leave your speculating comments out of this thread, itès not helping anyone.

3. I clean my car lots, if you seen the position of this, you would know youèd have to drop the skid and tank together to clean it out properly, it's almost impossible to clean this out while attached.

4. No I don't think I'm entitled to free anything. I feel that this information is useful to everyone. I also feel that a fuel tank should not have an expiration date of 5 years. I would have been more then happy with them acknowledging the problem and providing any sort of retrofit to stop this from happening again, as well as notifying Jeep people so they can take proper preventative measures.

5. Thanks for coming!

*I tried so hard not to be a a-hole responding to you BTW.*
Unread 05-06-2014, 10:33 PM   #14
ryann04
2008 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjkj2002 View Post
The fuel tank can't rust,it's plastic.What rusted was the skid plate from lack of cleaning between it and the gas tank which caused it to rub a hole in the plastic fuel tank.
again... the fuel tank is in fact steel, not plastic.

If you don't believe me call the dealership.

My rig:
2008 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo (Diesel CRD) 4x4

After your done calling the dealership, you can let us know.
Unread 05-06-2014, 10:35 PM   #15
ryann04
2008 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMC_xj View Post
That is worrisome! Good to know that the part can be found in the US for cheaper though.

Ryan is from Edmonton, and as a former resident of that illustrious metropolis, I can say for certain that salt is not used. (at least not as of 2008) The city uses sand, instead.
Edmonton's climate is all sorts of FUBAR though. In winter, a 7 month long season, temps can drop to -40C (-40F) with wind chill. Summer, while short, can get up to 30C (85F). All sorts of wonky. All time historical low/high with applicable windchill/humidex is -55C to +40C. Talk about a big range.

TL: DR - fishinbama, you'll be okay.
Correct, no salt used here. This is just from an accumulation of rock, mud, sand and water with no escape route. Eventually this will make it through the paint/primer and cause rust.

To properly clean it, you will have to drop your tank and skid plate. It's not too difficult if you have a jack and air tools. I got good at doing it after doing it twice... (I forgot the gasket around the fuel pump and had to drop it again.. lol)

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.