Rust Hole by fuel door. - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 Old 10-12-2017, 12:55 PM Thread Starter
JEEPMAN123
2010 WK 

Rust Hole by fuel door.

Hello, I have a 2010 Jeep GC Laredo 3.7L . I wash my Jeep regularly, wax it etc. I live in New England but take care of my Jeep. I have owned it for 5 years. Well, one day I noticed some bubbling in the paint below the fuel door. A small patch probably the size of a half dollar.

Well, I had the genius idea of taking my dremel and sanding down the oxidized paint and what little surface rust there was. Well, bad idea! I used the dremel with slight pressure to grind the paint down, then it sunk right into the panel. The sheet metal was as thick as wet paper. It was completely rusted. I ended up creating a huge hole. I filled it with bondo, painted it etc. The sheet metal will need to be cut and replaced.

Has anyone else had this issue on their WK? My father has a 06 WK and his is rusted completely though in the same spot. He just paints the rust white to match his jeep.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 10-12-2017, 06:13 PM
JackB1
2008 WK 

It sounds like salt slush is being thrown by the tires up into that area. If so you are going to have to wash that area out carefully. Same for the wheel well lips.
post #3 of 7 Old 10-13-2017, 04:31 PM Thread Starter
JEEPMAN123
2010 WK 

I know its odd, I wasn't sure if any other NE Jeep owners have the same problem. I also have the Jeep mud flaps installed.

post #4 of 7 Old 10-16-2017, 05:12 AM
caulk04
2008 WK 

I saw this posted a while back, someone found the same problem with theirs. I forget exactly what was catching debris and causing the corrosion there, but it seemed to be a bit of a fluke.

My best recommendation is to always get your vehicles coated yearly with Fluid Film or another WELL KNOWN rust preventive. Not rubberized undercoating! The earlier you start the better.

08 Limited Hemi - wheels, tires, springs...ya know, stuff
post #5 of 7 Old 10-16-2017, 05:15 AM
caulk04
2008 WK 

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f67/2...arter-2816258/

08 Limited Hemi - wheels, tires, springs...ya know, stuff
post #6 of 7 Old Today, 04:49 PM Thread Starter
JEEPMAN123
2010 WK 

Thank you for posting that. It explains a lot. That same foam is applied to the challengers in the rocker panels as well. I know Challenger owners have had problems with the foam getting wet and rotting from the inside out. Looks like Jeep made a ticking time bomb unless caught in time. My Jeep was never garaged until recently, so the foam just soaked wet from December until May.
post #7 of 7 Old Today, 07:11 PM
SteveROntario

The Dodge Rams of those years had the same foam up above the rear wheel arches. None of the Dodge trucks around here have rear fenders as a result. Better than a rotten GMC frame or a blown PowerStroke but still very annoying.
Steve

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.