Running out of ideas -and money! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > Running out of ideas -and money!

D.i.y. Ford 8.8 tj,xj,yjSavvy Aluminum BumpersSwag Off Road BIG-HIT TJ-YJ Rear Bumper

Unread 04-17-2014, 10:51 PM   #1
GrandDubai
2009 JK Wrangler 

Running out of ideas -and money!

Hi Folks,
Can I pick your brains?
I have done my research and read all the threads I could think of, but I still can't find the problem.

I have a heavy CLONK when pulling away, when braking and when going over speed bumps on a turn. If I go over a bump when straight, there is no noise.

So far I have:
Tightened the steering yoke
Replaced the steering rack, including all tie rods
Replaced UCAs (complete) and all other suspension bushings and lower ball joints
Replaced spring isolators
Replaced anti sway bar links and sway bar bushings / brackets (later type with ridge)
Had all the alignment, camber and castor reset
Installed a 2" Revtek lift (i.e. Struts dismantled and reassembled but struts still original)

And still I have the CLONK - which started as slight and occasional, but is now happening all the time and getting louder by the day.

Any ideas guys?

As I live in Dubai the stealership reeeeeally goes to town when charging for parts. I've been using Rockauto for most things though. They are great, but it takes 10 days to get each part and I can't send stuff back because of the shipping costs, so I have to keep buying more bits and trying them out.
Pretty soon I'm going to have a completely new 2005 WK!!

Thanks!
Stuart

GrandDubai is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-17-2014, 11:02 PM   #2
skibum555
2005 WK 

It's a hassle but check The nut on top of the front strut assembly. Either cut out metal to access from top or take assembly out as you did with the lift install. After you reassemble the strut and spring the nut sometimes need to be further tightened after settling or the vehicle weight compresses everything back down.
MEMBER #105
skibum555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-17-2014, 11:09 PM   #3
vancouver_hawk
2005 WK 

check and make sure upper control arm is tightened properly, had similar issue and both bolts on driver's side were loose.
Unread 04-17-2014, 11:26 PM   #4
GrandDubai
2009 JK Wrangler 

Thanks guys. I went all round the suspension this morning with a set of sockets and a breaker bar. Disconnected the sway bar links and drove it about. Still got the noise.
Reckon I will get the garage to remove the strut and check the nut. Worth a shot.

Forgot to mention - when it clonks, I can feel it in the floor. Does that help?

Thanks again
Unread 04-18-2014, 12:01 AM   #5
Lace_up_kcmo
2005 WK 

Have you looked into the front differential bushings yet?
Black WK club #132
Lace_up_kcmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-18-2014, 12:30 AM   #6
GrandDubai
2009 JK Wrangler 

Well, I've been through that issue and had all 3 bushings replaced about 20,000 miles ago. They all look good and there is no excessive movement or diff rotation between R and D.

Lol, this is why I'm totally scratching my head!
Unread 04-18-2014, 03:08 AM   #7
GrandDubai
2009 JK Wrangler 

The garage I took it to for the last alignment said he reckoned it was the axle shaft, but doesn't that CLONK repeatedly when turning?
This only clonks once and does it when braking or pulling away.
I'm flummoxed!
Unread 04-18-2014, 03:33 AM   #8
unobtanium
2010 WK 

Look at the lower control arms. Particularly, the bushing on them closest to the transmission.
Unread 04-18-2014, 09:17 AM   #9
GrandDubai
2009 JK Wrangler 

I will surely take another look Unob... But they were all changed for new just 2 months back. Suppose I could have bought a bad'un...
Cheers
Unread 04-18-2014, 09:47 AM   #10
yzjwk
2005 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandDubai View Post
Hi Folks,
Can I pick your brains?
I have done my research and read all the threads I could think of, but I still can't find the problem.

I have a heavy CLONK when pulling away, when braking and when going over speed bumps on a turn. If I go over a bump when straight, there is no noise.

So far I have:
Tightened the steering yoke
Replaced the steering rack, including all tie rods
Replaced UCAs (complete) and all other suspension bushings and lower ball joints
Replaced spring isolators
Replaced anti sway bar links and sway bar bushings / brackets (later type with ridge)
Had all the alignment, camber and castor reset
Installed a 2" Revtek lift (i.e. Struts dismantled and reassembled but struts still original)

And still I have the CLONK - which started as slight and occasional, but is now happening all the time and getting louder by the day.

Any ideas guys?

As I live in Dubai the stealership reeeeeally goes to town when charging for parts. I've been using Rockauto for most things though. They are great, but it takes 10 days to get each part and I can't send stuff back because of the shipping costs, so I have to keep buying more bits and trying them out.
Pretty soon I'm going to have a completely new 2005 WK!!

Thanks!
Stuart
I don't know if this is what you meant by steering yolk , but have you checked this fix out ? I can't tell you how many different clunks and pops this ones fixed , and it sure sounds like your problem .http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f67/t...d-pop-1421373/

Good luck
00 WJ 4.0
yzjwk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-18-2014, 12:44 PM   #11
GrandDubai
2009 JK Wrangler 

Thanks YZ...

I had hoped this was the problem, and I tried it. There was a fair bit of play in the rack even after adjustment, so I bit the bullet and changed the whole thing. Turned out to be a waste of money as I still have the noise.

Think I'm going to change the struts and see what happens. Can't be too bad an idea, right?!
Unread 04-18-2014, 01:20 PM   #12
JeepN4KC
Keep on Jeepin on........

Hub assembly bolts and transmission mount. Flange bolts at both ends of the front drive shaft. Also the upper and lower control arms in the rear.

Sounds like you've been quite thorough...........good luck, hope ya get to the bottom of it.

My Build Thread WK
My Other Build Thread XJ
'01 XJ with some stuff
Sept 2013 Cherokee of the Month
'07 WK with some other stuff
~RED WK CLUB #7~
'11 KK with mostly stock stuff
'06WK our first Jeep with stock stuff - totalled and gone
JeepN4KC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-18-2014, 02:10 PM   #13
GrandDubai
2009 JK Wrangler 

For sure I will post the final solution once I find it.
Thanks for the suggestions.
Unread 04-19-2014, 10:49 AM   #14
98jgc
2005 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandDubai View Post
Thanks YZ...

I had hoped this was the problem, and I tried it. There was a fair bit of play in the rack even after adjustment, so I bit the bullet and changed the whole thing. Turned out to be a waste of money as I still have the noise.

Think I'm going to change the struts and see what happens. Can't be too bad an idea, right?!
Struts 9 years old are probably shot - Mine were bad at 63K.
98jgc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-19-2014, 11:42 AM   #15
GrandDubai
2009 JK Wrangler 

I hope you are right there '98.

The CLONK and the ride are getting dramatically worse by the mile.

I drove it out of the garage today after they could not diagnose a fault and I can only describe it as feeling unsafe. Wobbling around, clonking and creaking and groaning, like something is about to collapse, but everything is tight as tight.

I've been chatting with Kolak about some Bilsteins, but do you all think that this is going to resolve the issue? I'm pissed enough that they also told me the reman rack I bought from Rock Auto two weeks ago has a leaky main seal. Can't even return it as the shipping costs more than the rack!

The whole ordeal is starting to get to me. I love to tinker with the WK. It is my hobby as much as my daily driver, but I'm starting to lose that lovin' feeling.
I've started looking at Mitsubishi Pajero/Shogun - that's how bad this is getting!!!

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.