Rough Country 2" - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > Rough Country 2"

FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineG2 Disc Brake Conversion Kit for Jeep Wrangler YJ TJ LJ Ch

Unread 07-09-2013, 01:03 PM   #1
2007camwk
2007 WK 

Rough Country 2"

New to the forum, just bought the jeep yesterday actually. 2007 grand cherokee 3.7. First upgrade im going to do is get the RC 2" level. my question isnt necessarily with the lift but more so with wheel spacers. I see most people run 1.5" spacers. If i was going to get this lift, are spacers needed for all four tires or just the front two? also what is the smallest spacer i can use and not have to worry about scrubbing? If it is normal to run spacers just on the front two? i would prefer just to do that but I was just looking for some knowledge and feedback

2007camwk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-09-2013, 02:27 PM   #2
R4TCHET
2005 WK 

It depends on the tires you would be running. Stock tires you won't need spacers with this lift. I have had if for about a year now

Sent from my Jailbroken iPhone using JeepForum
| (dark)KHAKI WK CLUB MEMBER 17 | 2005 4.7L QTII | JBA UCAs | Modified OME MD 3.5" lift | Rusty's Adj. track bar | 4XG Matrix | 285/70r17 Duratracs | 17" KMC Enduro Wheels | Rola Roof Rack | 21" Bean LED Light bar on Roof Rack | 2 12" Punch P3 Subs | Expanded Sheet Grille | SA Sliders |
R4TCHET is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-09-2013, 02:28 PM   #3
imthehink
2005 WK 

Spacers are only needed depending on what size wheel/tire your going to run. If you go with spacers, use all four. I would search the forums as you will find more information than you ever wanted to know.
imthehink is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-09-2013, 11:22 PM   #4
2007camwk
2007 WK 

I was thinking about the nitto terra grappler 265/70r17
Unread 07-10-2013, 02:41 PM   #5
the_otter
2005 WK 

I did a lot of research on this and just ordered my Rough Country lift, 1.5" spacers from jeephut (forum vendor). If you're going to go with 265/70/17s on stock wheels 1.5" will be necessary. Its about 50/50 if you'll also need to do the pinchweld mod in order to prevent rubbing. I'm going to be getting Falken Rocky Mountain ATS tires in and will probably end up doing the mod anyway, just to be safe. Hope this helps.
the_otter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-10-2013, 03:54 PM   #6
JeepN4KC
Keep on Jeepin on........

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_otter View Post
I did a lot of research on this and just ordered my Rough Country lift, 1.5" spacers from jeephut (forum vendor). If you're going to go with 265/70/17s on stock wheels 1.5" will be necessary. Its about 50/50 if you'll also need to do the pinchweld mod in order to prevent rubbing. I'm going to be getting Falken Rocky Mountain ATS tires in and will probably end up doing the mod anyway, just to be safe. Hope this helps.
If you wheel it w/o doing the pinch welds it's not if you'll rub. It's when and to what degree.

My Build Thread WK
My Other Build Thread XJ
'01 XJ with some stuff
Sept 2013 Cherokee of the Month
'07 WK with some other stuff
~RED WK CLUB #7~
'11 KK with mostly stock stuff
'06WK our first Jeep with stock stuff - totalled and gone
JeepN4KC is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-10-2013, 04:22 PM   #7
hunterjim00
2007 WK 

I'm running Nitto Trail Grapplers same 265/70/R17 I originally only ordered wheel spacers for the front. The back tires did rub you will need spacers for all four defiantly.
hunterjim00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-11-2013, 02:07 PM   #8
2007camwk
2007 WK 

What if I'm not looking to do the weld mod? Will the spacers work fine without the other. I don't plan to do any off roading just look purposes really.
Unread 07-11-2013, 03:24 PM   #9
EtherealPonx

just answered the same question on the other forum , edited here for relevance:

Okay, I did quite a fair wack of research on this same subject when I decided to go with a 2"RC lift. I first went down the design patch of wheel spacers to see what I can fit in with stock wheels, and whether pinchweld would be considered or not, and if trimming the upper control arm bolt will be needed (this is also a consideration when going for bigger tires). I was at first against all these mods, I am still against trimming the bolt, its not a good idea (when you want to remove the UCA later).

After many days of thinking about this, and some solid advice from friends in the motor sport industries, I was strongly advised against wheel spacers. They are designed for wheeling and motor sports, and not recommended for road use. One of the best manufactures of spacers, Spidertrax, states on the box "Off Road Only", so that fits into the same argument I guess. Imagine if one cracks at high speed, loosing a tire is one thing, loosing a wheel is another!... secondly unless they are 100% perfectly hub centric (ie machined flush to fit 71.5mm dis), you will end up with some wheel vibration, if you do a lot of mileage this will become irritating very quickly (let alone reduce the life span of your tires). Given you intend on driving on the road 100% of the time, I would recommend investing in a new set of wheels (safer and better)!. On the subject of vibration then, you will have to use hub rings to centre the new wheels on the hubs to ensure no vibration with a non stock set of rims (if you decided to go down this route). your stock hub dia is 71.5mm, and the second measurement will be dependent on the wheels you get.

The biggest problem I had was clearing the bolt; my '09 had less than 0.5" between the stock tire and the bolt!. I needed rims that would move a larger size tire away from the fender to clear the bolt. I don't mind the tires sticking out from the fender as i prefer the aggressive stance. I calculated any rim with a 0mm up to -12mm offset would do this, as long as there is about 4.75" of backspace to clear the callipers. I went with Pro-comp rims (17x9).

I did not get any rubbing using 265/65/17 A/T tires, but still decided to do the pinchweld mod as I plan on running bigger tires in the future. The reason I went with this size tire was to fit a 9inch wide wheel, as 265/70/17 are rated to wheels that are up to 8.5 inches wide. the next size up will be a 285 .. maybe with an SL one day

choosing the new wheels option means you can control the position of the tire without using spacers ... safer, and you have a spare set of stock wheels you can sell to cover the cost

Here are some pictures for your reference:

PS - the rig also has Bilstein HDs all round, BWoody sway links and a few other mods
EtherealPonx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-11-2013, 07:01 PM   #10
JeepN4KC
Keep on Jeepin on........

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2007camwk View Post
What if I'm not looking to do the weld mod? Will the spacers work fine without the other. I don't plan to do any off roading just look purposes really.
Nobody's "looking" to do the p/w's. If the set-up you have rubs then you do what you have to do to eliminate it.

My Build Thread WK
My Other Build Thread XJ
'01 XJ with some stuff
Sept 2013 Cherokee of the Month
'07 WK with some other stuff
~RED WK CLUB #7~
'11 KK with mostly stock stuff
'06WK our first Jeep with stock stuff - totalled and gone
JeepN4KC is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-12-2013, 01:35 AM   #11
RockinR
2006 XK Commander 

Running 265/70/17 on my Commander with 2" RC and 1.5 spacers
photo0100.jpg  
RockinR is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-12-2013, 02:00 AM   #12
EtherealPonx

Lifting a truck has consequences. ANY change in ride height, wheels and or tires will have an impact on performance and handling of the truck. The more extreme the change the bigger the impacts. I didn't mind the impacts on the 2" lift with Bilsteins, as this made the ride stiffer and less wobble when cornering (as well as the obvious offroad capabilities). However, the draw backs of the bigger/wider tires can be felt in the handling - a compromise I was willing to make. I would definitely recommend upgrading the shocks as this made a big difference, and might as well do at the same time as the lift.

Secondly, changing the height of the ride changes the geometry of the suspension, yes even 2" of lift. The UCA sits at a different angle to the wheel knuckle, as well as the angles on the CV joint, tie rods, and sway links. I wont go into detail on the wheel allignment issues as that is a whole different topic, just bear in mind that you will have to do a new wheel allignment and will need a good workshop that can bring the camber and caster (particularly in the front) to acceptable limits. A 2" BB lift this is not extreme and still within limits, but that still makes it different to stock. I would expect the durability of some of these parts to be reduced with this configuration. Since the lift I have installed BWoody sway links, and plan on getting JBA UCA for lifted jeeps (the Jan 2013 release). This is also needed in my case as the shock lower mounting cup hits the wheel knuckle at max articulation (when going over a speed bump or hitting a pot hole). Another thing that changes is the centring of the rear track bar, this can be returned to the stock position by installing an adjustable track bar (Rusty's or similar). The sway bars are obviously not in the stock location, though the changes from a 2" are so minimal that it does not warrant lengthening the links (advice directly from BWoody), 3" and above will require longer links.

Having said all of the above, I don't regret the lift at all , but good to know all this up front to set expectations and understand the benefits and compromises. I now have much better ground clearance, better deflated tire footprint (at 18psi), and approach angles for desert dune driving

to Sum up, 2" of lift is within decent limits that do not 'significantly' change the drivability, stability or control of the truck, but there are changes. it all depends on how much you are willing to accept, some people will not touch anything other than stock, some people would happily stack lift kits My advice is build for your environment (the condition of the roads and type of wheeling), and stay away from spacers .
EtherealPonx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-21-2013, 07:06 PM   #13
2007camwk
2007 WK 

I saw on another website that you can run 255/75r17 without using spacers and that it wouldn't rub. Does anyone run this setup on stock wheels?
Unread 07-22-2013, 06:41 AM   #14
BoraBora
2006 WK 

It's possible.. I believe there's a few on the wheel/tire combo sticky here.
2006 Black WK, Modified OME HD ~3.5'', Bilstein 5100's, 1.5" Wheel Spacers, Black JK Moabs, 285/70/R17 Duratracs, 7W Reverse LED's, tow hooks, 2 Hella 500ff's behind grill, Expanded sheet metal grill, ORT badge, Tail light guards, Firestik 3', Aux. input, Black housing headlights, Stingray roof basket, 2 Hella 500ffs on roof rack, 18% tint.
BoraBora is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-30-2013, 12:38 PM   #15
2007camwk
2007 WK 

Yea I think im gunna go with 245/75/17. Same width as stock just a taller tire. Around 31.5" tire. If I need to ill just trim
The bolt a little so that I won't need spacers

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.