Roof Rack Removal - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > Roof Rack Removal

TeraFlex Now at Rockridge 4WD! BEST DEALS around!Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsENGO QUADLUX 6" to 54" LED AMBER AND WHITE MULTI

Unread 01-24-2008, 08:19 PM   #1
Ares177
2005 WK 

Roof Rack Removal

Hi everybody. I bought an 05 GC Limited about a month ago and I'm also a newbie to the site.

Has anyone removed the cross bars from the roof rack or removed the roof rack entirely? I've always been a sport truck guy and I'm looking to make this a nice street Jeep so I also thought about swapping out the rack with the SRT8 rails. Anyone done that?

Ares177 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-24-2008, 08:52 PM   #2
jeepgaffer
2006 WK 

I don't know if you searched for it or not...but this is a fairly common question.

Anyway, there are many people who have put SRT8 'rails' on a regular WK. From what I understand, its basically unbolt/bolt-on. If you want to remove just the cross-bars, you have to pull out the little silver pin on the bottom of the knobs. If you can't do that, you have to remove the caps at the end of the rail so you can slide the bars off.

FYI...a good place online to buy a lot of Jeep parts/accessories is justforjeeps.com, a lot of people (including myself) have purchased from there. Also, check out wkjeeps.com for a lot of other useful info.
Unread 01-25-2008, 06:25 AM   #3
Serbonze
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ares177
Hi everybody. I bought an 05 GC Limited about a month ago and I'm also a newbie to the site.

Has anyone removed the cross bars from the roof rack or removed the roof rack entirely? I've always been a sport truck guy and I'm looking to make this a nice street Jeep so I also thought about swapping out the rack with the SRT8 rails. Anyone done that?

Welcome! Great timing on your question, as Just for Jeeps shipped out my SRT8 rails this week and they are scheduled for delivery today. If all goes well, I'll be out in the garage tomorrow morning swapping them out.
Unread 01-25-2008, 02:46 PM   #4
crod

i have an 08 gc. their are 2 ways to take the cross rails off. you will see a silver pin on the actual cross rail. they should have left them out a little bit so you can pull the pins out with pliers. the job is done.

the other way. if you take the black caps off of the ends of the side rails you will see TORX (large) screws. take them off and all the rails come off.
crod is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-27-2008, 11:10 PM   #5
08uticagc
2008 WK 

if you take off the roof rack, do you want to sell them? i have an 08 gc without the rails on top and would love to add them on. let me know.
08uticagc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-31-2008, 08:58 PM   #6
Ares177
2005 WK 

Well the first mod attempt didn't turn out so well. The silver pins that crod mentioned were jammed in too far and I couldn't get a good grip on them with my pliers. So I tried to take them off completely and I couldn't figure out how to get the end caps off. Any ideas?

Serbonze - how was your install of the SRT8 rails?

08uticagc - If I can get this things off and get some SRT8 rails ordered I'd gladly sell the roof rack to you.
Ares177 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-01-2008, 07:09 AM   #7
Serbonze
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ares177
Well the first mod attempt didn't turn out so well. The silver pins that crod mentioned were jammed in too far and I couldn't get a good grip on them with my pliers. So I tried to take them off completely and I couldn't figure out how to get the end caps off. Any ideas?

Serbonze - how was your install of the SRT8 rails?

08uticagc - If I can get this things off and get some SRT8 rails ordered I'd gladly sell the roof rack to you.
My install was pretty straight forward. I didn't have the cross rails on, but that shouldn't matter if you are removing the entire set. There are four torx head screws that hold the rails downs - two in front and two in back. I used a large flat blade screw driver to pry the plastic end caps off, then used the torx head driver to remove the screws. I then put the SRT8 rails on. Like most people have reported, they didn't sit flush in the front so I took them off, heated up the fronts with a hair dryer, and kind of molded/bent them to sit flush. Now I think they look great.
Unread 02-01-2008, 08:43 AM   #8
crod

yes, a thin screwdriver ect. will pry the plastic caps off the ends. i did most of mine by hand.
crod is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-28-2008, 06:09 AM   #9
RHStansbury
2007 WK 

So would anyone who has removed their rack be intersted in selling it? I just purchase a Laredo and I feel like it looks naked without the roof rack.
RHStansbury is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-29-2008, 06:23 AM   #10
airportdave
2010 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RHStansbury View Post
So would anyone who has removed their rack be intersted in selling it? I just purchase a Laredo and I feel like it looks naked without the roof rack.
PM sent!!!!!
Unread 11-02-2009, 07:45 PM   #11
bell22
2007 WK 

Sorry to dig up an old thread, but anyone interested in selling their side rails or trading for my smooth caps?
bell22 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-03-2009, 05:48 AM   #12
nostaw22
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ares177 View Post
Did you unscrew the knob on top of the end caps to take pressure off the pins before you tried pulling them out?

There is a plate on the bottom of the end cap which clamps the rails to the crossbars... The silver pin supports one end of the plate and the knob tightens the screw on the other end...

JW

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.