Roof leak in my WK limited with sun roof - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > Roof leak in my WK limited with sun roof

Cess Recovery Gear Snatch Tow Strap OffRoad @ ROCKRIDGE4WDGEARSHADE Pocket Tops in stock and available at ROCKRIDGE Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 06-27-2011, 10:19 PM   #1
Chirpz

2007 WK 

Roof leak in my WK limited with sun roof

I have this annoying roof leak...just a tiny one but it is a leak. We live in WA state and have lots rain rain rain.

The leak emerges about half way down the column where the windshield adjoins the driver's window. It comes out one of the screw holes right at the grip handle. The leak does not seem to increase when we drive but does increase a little as the rain gets more intense.

I took it to a glass shop and had an expert examine the windshield for leaks. Nothing. He suggested checking the roof rack. So since then, I have removed the roof rack on the driver's side 3 times and sealed the bolt holes so well that there is NO way the water is coming in there.
I also had this problem on my 91 Cherokee and the roof rack WAS the culprit.

I do have a power sun-roof. The windshield guy explained that there may be a drain tube that runs from the sun-roof through that column and if the drain tube were leaking, that would explain it.

Does anyone else have a clue.

My solution thus far has been to construct a car port so the WK Limited does not have to sit in the rain 24/7. Love the car port but I still get the leak at times when we are out and about. It does not leak every time it rains. It seems to be intermittent.

If anybody tells me to check my swirl motor, I'm going to bean them. I've had it with swirl motors.

EHM MOD, Garmin Mechanic EcoHD, K&N Filter (Deleted)
Chirpz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-27-2011, 10:59 PM   #2
mrtosh
2005 WK 

Just fixed this issue on my gf's XK. The sunroof has 4 drains. One in each corner. The front two run down the A pillars. Sometimes they can become clogged. A little bit of compressed air can help. Her case was that the drain line was pinched in the A pillar some how . I just took off the A pillar cover, opened the sunroof and poured some water in the drain, massaging the tube until it drained freely, and made sure it was out of the way when the cover was back on. Hope this helps.
'05 WK Limited QDII, Superlift 6", Bilstein struts,315/70/17 Duratracs, Gibson CB, Volant CAI, JBA UCA's, JKS quick disco, adj. Rear trac bar, 4xguard armor, Diablosport Intune, Xenondepot 6000k HID's, Putco Jet yellow fogs.
mrtosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-28-2011, 12:15 PM   #3
modette
2005 WK 

Yep, I had this happen to. Seems to be a problem on WK's from my search. What I did was clean the sunroof seal really well and that whole area (I used Honda Pro Cleaner because that's what I have on hand as i ride motorcycles). I also poured water down to see if it leaked or came out of the drain tubes and it came out of all 4....so its not plugged. Oh I also was able to use some wire I had to flex and go down the drain tube holes first, then I did the water. This car was garaged kept as I can tell from the condition....so I then swaped vehicles around and put the Jeep int he garage and my Focus outside. I then shut it all up and made sure it was aligned which it seemed to be in spec and I have gone through he car wash a few times and no leaks...I don't like sunroofs so it will stay shut. Worst case some black silicone caulk will do the trick.

I have a sunroof in my Focus too, I have opened it maybe 3 times for a few minutes. I'm not a fan.
modette is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-29-2011, 10:25 AM   #4
mazster43
2007 WK 

Check and see if the roof is flush to the roof when closed. Mine was sitting high a little more than half the thickness of the glass and aparently blocked the drain tubes. The dealer adjusted the glass to sit flush when closed (under warranty) and no more leaks now.
mazster43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-29-2011, 10:26 AM   #5
mazster43
2007 WK 

I meant check the glass to the roof.
mazster43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-28-2012, 09:29 PM   #6
Chirpz

2007 WK 

Yea!! After over a year of effort (slow effort) my leak is fixed. It was a tiny leak in a body seam at the upper corner of the windshield on the driver side.

I went through lots of stuff to find this and get it fixed. Usually a roof leak is the luggage rack. I removed mine and re-sealed it 3 times. On the last time I used iron on "butyl sun tape" over the holes and around the bolts. No way that rack was gonna leak. Drip Drip....still leaking.

Many of you suggested that I check the sun roof drain. So I pulled the column cover and examined the drain tube.... looked OK. I poured several gallons of water down the drain tube starting from the gutter in the sun roof. No leaks in that tube. Frustration.

The problem is...when you are looking for the leak, you cannot make it leak. You can douse the car with water, go through a car wash, etc etc and it won't leak. Then when you least expect it, on a rainy day, there it is....drip, tiny drip drip drip.

One day while it was dripping, I pulled off the column cover, got an inspection mirror and a flash light and started peering up inside the column. That's when I found it. A tiny bit of water seeping through a body seam. Not much, just enough for a tiny annoying drip.

How to fix....
Go to NAPA or an auto glass shop and buy a tube of body seam sealer.
Remove the outer trim from the windshield and remove the rubber seal from the door frame near the windshield. Blow out the area around the windshield glass near the corner with a compressor. Clean in there very good using soft q-tips etc etc.
Apply a liberal amount of sealant every where in there that you feel necessary.
Let it dry. Leak fixed.

Well.... almost. Actually mine continued to leak until we had a hot day. Then it sealed up. OH.... I got a new car port out of the deal. Since we live in WA state with lots of rain, I had to protect the thing until I could fix the stupid leak.
Unread 07-01-2012, 10:43 AM   #7
modette
2005 WK 

Thanks for the tip. I park in the garage 98% of the time. But when I park outside I park on level ground, NO LEAK, or I park facing down our driveway, again no leak. i only get the leak when I face uphill. and I checked all the drainage tubes.
modette is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-01-2012, 10:49 AM   #8
06WKHEMI
2006 WK 

Hey chirpz where in Washington are ya? I'm up in lake Stevens
2006 Black wk overland HEMI QDII. OME HD bilstein struts with 58643 monroe load levelers RRO uca, afe cold air intake,hella 500FF behind grille, RC 1.5 wheel spacers s4xc cb antenna mount with 5ft firestik and midland 1001wx CB,265/70-17 falken rockymountain ats, pinch weld mod, door lock mod, Rola basket with 2 Hella 500 FF`s.
06WKHEMI is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-02-2012, 06:56 PM   #9
Chirpz

2007 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 06WKHEMI View Post
Hey chirpz where in Washington are ya? I'm up in lake Stevens
We are in Battle Ground, near Vancouver.
Unread 07-02-2012, 07:02 PM   #10
Chirpz

2007 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by modette View Post
Thanks for the tip. I park in the garage 98% of the time. But when I park outside I park on level ground, NO LEAK, or I park facing down our driveway, again no leak. i only get the leak when I face uphill. and I checked all the drainage tubes.
Check out that little body seam right at the corner of the windshield at the top. You have to view it from INSIDE. Remove the column cover and use a mirror and a light to see it. It is a really small seam and located in a bad place to put a seam according to my "windshield expert" ex-boss. (I'm a retired glass worker.) In my case, it was NOT the windshield that was leaking. We inspected it thoroughly and tested it. It was the body seam beneath the windshield...when you see it, you will understand.
Unread 07-02-2012, 08:01 PM   #11
TurboDiesel
2008 WK 

im in Vancouver!!!
255/75R17 BFG KM1's
17" ion alloy rims
15" kicker solo baric L7 w/ Alpine m1000 amp
aftermarket headlights w/5000k HIDs
Red interior LEDs and Red license plate LED
Tinted tails
5% tint over the rear windows
more to come....
TurboDiesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-02-2012, 11:04 PM   #12
Chirpz

2007 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboDiesel View Post
im in Vancouver!!!
Awesome. Its nice to have another CRD so close. I have only seen one other one....... period. I parked next to a guy in Seattle once, at a Walmart. He was visiting down from Canada pulling a 17' Trailer. I was pulling my 15' rig. We got to compare notes a little.

That is the only other CRD that I have seen.
Unread 07-03-2012, 06:35 AM   #13
TurboDiesel
2008 WK 

really?

they are everywhere up here
now its hard to find a modded one LOL thats where i stick out like a sore thumb

theres only 2 others ive seens pics of them being lifted, 1 was on a shops website photos, the other was a guy that i got talking to thru craigslist lol
255/75R17 BFG KM1's
17" ion alloy rims
Tinted tails
more to come....
Unread 07-03-2012, 10:45 AM   #14
Chirpz

2007 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboDiesel View Post
really?

they are everywhere up here
now its hard to find a modded one LOL thats where i stick out like a sore thumb
Yes... there are LOTS of WK's up here. They are everywhere, but I have only seen ONE that is a CRD type. The rest are gassers.

You're right about the mods. I have not seen any with obvious mods.
Unread 07-03-2012, 05:59 PM   #15
TurboDiesel
2008 WK 

no i mean there are lots of CRDs around here lol
255/75R17 BFG KM1's
17" ion alloy rims
Tinted tails
more to come....

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.