Roof basket wind noise?? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > Roof basket wind noise??

Offset Tie Rod Kit From RuffStuff!The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 03-03-2013, 03:23 PM   #1
msailors
2005 WK 

Roof basket wind noise??

Guys with roof baskets - how much wind noise are you getting? I bought a Rage products Stingray rack. It is a lower profile rack than the Rola but similar design other wise. The wind noise is terrible, sounds like a rear differential roaring type sound. It is unbearable! Love the look of the rack but can't live with the noise. I did not get the fairing but am wondering if it really would make that much difference. I can understand some decrease but will it help drastically? I will buy the fairing if guys with experience can give some input with the roof baskets with and without fairings. If it's not that big of a difference, it goes on Craigslist. Thanks for any input on this ahead of time.

msailors is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-03-2013, 06:35 PM   #2
TangoTango
2008 WK 

The fairing makes a big difference, both noise and mileage.
TangoTango is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-03-2013, 09:00 PM   #3
modernblueWK

I have that exact same rack. Noisy as hell!! I need to order that fairing too.
Blue WK club #4
2013 HEMI Durango Awd Crew. All stock
modernblueWK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-03-2013, 11:34 PM   #4
trax95008
Web Wheeler
2006 XK Commander 

I have some experience with fighting wind noise from roof racks. I'll share a tip with you. The objective is to break the uniformity of the face of the rack. Try this. Stretch a bungee cord across the front bar of the rack. The key is to wrap it around the bar once or twice to create a long spiral. I like to use a really small diameter cord so that you don't even see it. You can buy bungee cord in bulk cut to length at some out door recreation stores like REI.
trax95008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-04-2013, 11:06 AM   #5
Budasac
2005 WK 

That's an interesting observation. I may have to try that on some of the work trucks with ladder racks. I have the Rola (with faring) and have no noise issues.
Budasac is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-04-2013, 05:15 PM   #6
msailors
2005 WK 

Trax- I have read this trick in other post doing my research. That will be next on the list to try (cheap) I had the rack on 1 day and took it off. Sitting in the living room right now, on to Lowes this week to get the cords. Thanks for the input.

moderblue - I will let you know how this plays out might be the weekend before I get to this. Crappy weather coming in tomorrow for the next few days.

Budasac - Your noise might be the ladder rung ends making the noise. If it is a blowing across a empty bottle top type sound, that is the rungs. I got a trick for that (old roofer here) fill the rungs with Great Stuff insulation foam. Let it sit overnight or longer if possible. Let it expand out and then cut the excess flush with the rung ends. Does not add any weight to the ladders and stops the low sounding humming.

Thanks guys
Unread 03-04-2013, 06:22 PM   #7
Jeepforthewin
Lucky Charms!

2005 WK 

I looked one of these up and they want $40 for just the fairing??? For that plus the rack itself ill just go with a rola for about the same price

LOOKING TO BUY: RRO or JBA UCA's
Jeepforthewin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-05-2013, 05:34 PM   #8
msailors
2005 WK 

I thought about the rola before I bought this basket. The thing I liked about this one was it is about 2.5 inches tall on the sides. The rola from what i read was 5 inches tall. I like the lower profile but agree with you, if I could go back after a possible fairing purchase the rola would have been on there now.
Unread 03-05-2013, 05:49 PM   #9
Jeepforthewin
Lucky Charms!

2005 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by msailors
I thought about the rola before I bought this basket. The thing I liked about this one was it is about 2.5 inches tall on the sides. The rola from what i read was 5 inches tall. I like the lower profile but agree with you, if I could go back after a possible fairing purchase the rola would have been on there now.
That is true I forgot about it being smaller!

LOOKING TO BUY: RRO or JBA UCA's
Jeepforthewin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-06-2013, 05:23 AM   #10
sk1er18
2007 XK Commander 

Have any pictures? I always thought my Rola was one of the shorter racks out there...

sk1er18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-06-2013, 04:18 PM   #11
msailors
2005 WK 

Don't have any pics but it is on the rage products website. It is the first rack listed and is shown on a car. It is a large surface rack but just is lower in height profile.
Unread 03-06-2013, 06:06 PM   #12
GregB_00XJ
2000 XJ Cherokee 

My tall Sportrack on my XJ with a fairing is quieter than my shorter Rola with a fairing?

Having said that the Rola is only noticeable at highway speeds.

____=__=
l l ,[_____],
l---- L -[]lllllll[]-

()_) ()_)--o-)_)
GregB_00XJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-09-2013, 09:24 AM   #13
msailors
2005 WK 

Update- Tried the rope wrap trick and it did not help. Seems it was not the large round bars making the terrible wind noise. It was the small floor support bars on the rack. Added a fairing and the noise dropped by 75%. Still some wind noise but that is to be expected and is something I can live with. So I guess the lesson here was don't be a cheap a.. and buy a rack with a fairing. I learned the difficult way, I hope this will help anyone looking into a roof basket.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.