Roll Cage - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > Roll Cage

Attention to the TJ owners 1996-2006 NEW LED LIGHT OPTIONSOPTIC ARMOR WINDOWS all sale now !!!!!!!!FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 08-17-2013, 07:52 PM   #1
toymachine456
2006 WK 

Roll Cage

Anyone put a cage inside their WKs? I would love to see one or possibly build one for mine but I wouldn't know where to start.

Thank you for input!!

Silver WK Club Member #81
toymachine456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-17-2013, 08:05 PM   #2
JeepN4KC
Keep on Jeepin on........

I do believe you'd likely be the first should you go that route.

My Build Thread WK
My Other Build Thread XJ
'01 XJ with some stuff
Sept 2013 Cherokee of the Month
'07 WK with some other stuff
~RED WK CLUB #7~
'11 KK with mostly stock stuff
'06WK our first Jeep with stock stuff - totalled and gone
JeepN4KC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-17-2013, 09:33 PM   #3
TangoTango
2008 WK 

If it just for recreational, then probably a 6 point family cage is ok. First go down to you local race track and look for a metal fabrication shop. Someone with a mandrel tube bender that can bend 2" chromoly. Then you need a 2nd trip back after you remove ALL the interior and fuel tank as they will be welding inside... then you get to put it all back to gether. figure 2k+
TangoTango is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-17-2013, 10:10 PM   #4
terrasmak
2007 WK 

Gas tank does not need to come out. Just talk to the local racers and see who builds the local cages.
Unread 08-17-2013, 11:15 PM   #5
toymachine456
2006 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TangoTango
If it just for recreational, then probably a 6 point family cage is ok. First go down to you local race track and look for a metal fabrication shop. Someone with a mandrel tube bender that can bend 2" chromoly. Then you need a 2nd trip back after you remove ALL the interior and fuel tank as they will be welding inside... then you get to put it all back to gether. figure 2k+
Ouch that seems quite pricey. I always thought it was easier than that. Maybe down the road I think it would look sick! And the protection always helps.
Silver WK Club Member #81
toymachine456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-19-2013, 08:40 AM   #6
ca07wk
2007 WK 

Custom cages are going to cost you, If you had a common caged vehicle, like my old mustang, we put a cage in that for under $500
OME HD / Bilsteins / RRO UCA / Toyo AT2 on Moabs / Volant / Viper TB / Powerwire / TB Ground / Sprint Booster / JKS Rear Discos / Asfir Skid / Apsen Creek Skid / Front Shackles / Rear Sliders / Cobra CB / S4xC Antenna Mount w/ 2' Firestix
ca07wk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-19-2013, 05:24 PM   #7
kens97sto171

If you look on YouTube there is a guy with a 1100hp SRT8. He has a full interior cage with all the stock interior still in place. Jeep is wicked fast. Just search 1100hp srt8. You will find it .. you could ask him where he had it done and how much. Pretty crazy to see a 4500# jeep running in the low 10 sec range.
kens97sto171 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-19-2013, 06:07 PM   #8
ca07wk
2007 WK 

Just found a Bwoody SRT-8 6 point roll cage, $1100 shipped. Needs to be welded in. Its not on their site, so call and see if its still in production.
OME HD / Bilsteins / RRO UCA / Toyo AT2 on Moabs / Volant / Viper TB / Powerwire / TB Ground / Sprint Booster / JKS Rear Discos / Asfir Skid / Apsen Creek Skid / Front Shackles / Rear Sliders / Cobra CB / S4xC Antenna Mount w/ 2' Firestix
Unread 08-19-2013, 06:16 PM   #9
sk1er18
2007 XK Commander 

Definitely better things to spend money on IMO... Your roof can handle any rollover that happens on trails accessible by a 2-3" lifted WK. So it's not really making it any safer... and its not going to protect the exterior since that'll still get bashed up during a rollover.
sk1er18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-19-2013, 06:19 PM   #10
JeepN4KC
Keep on Jeepin on........

Quote:
Originally Posted by kens97sto171 View Post
If you look on YouTube there is a guy with a 1100hp SRT8. He has a full interior cage with all the stock interior still in place. Jeep is wicked fast. Just search 1100hp srt8. You will find it .. you could ask him where he had it done and how much. Pretty crazy to see a 4500# jeep running in the low 10 sec range.
Just watched a video of a WK running a 10.15 1/4 - I guess this is the one you're talking about.

Not my cup of tea - but very impressive nonetheless.

My Build Thread WK
My Other Build Thread XJ
'01 XJ with some stuff
Sept 2013 Cherokee of the Month
'07 WK with some other stuff
~RED WK CLUB #7~
'11 KK with mostly stock stuff
'06WK our first Jeep with stock stuff - totalled and gone
JeepN4KC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-19-2013, 06:25 PM   #11
underpowered
Bouncin' on a Budget

1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TangoTango View Post
there is absolutely no need to 2" chromoly tubing for an interior cage in a WK. for a trail cage, 1 3/4" Hrew would suffice, 1 3/4" DOM would be better. Price wise all depends on what he would want. when i was getting quotes for a cage they ranged from $700 up to $2100

Quote:
Originally Posted by sk1er18 View Post
Definitely better things to spend money on IMO... Your roof can handle any rollover that happens on trails accessible by a 2-3" lifted WK. So it's not really making it any safer... and its not going to protect the exterior since that'll still get bashed up during a rollover.
so safety is not a priority? i can take a STOCK vehicle plenty of places where it could roll, and roll more than once. the stock roof is not sufficient for a hard roll.

No one plans on rolling, but it is great to be prepared if it were to happen.

2000 powerjoke tow pig

Anti-jeep--1989 K5 blazer. the new off road ride
underpowered is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-19-2013, 06:37 PM   #12
sk1er18
2007 XK Commander 

I never said safety is not a priority. I guess everyone should build roll cages or we're not being safe enough by your standards.

FYI: IMO means "in my opinion". Clearly differs from yours.

....FYI means "for your information" in case you don't have that one covered either
sk1er18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-19-2013, 06:40 PM   #13
ca07wk
2007 WK 

Build an exo-skeleton!
Unread 08-19-2013, 08:41 PM   #14
sebastien
2006 WK 

My wk doesnt have carpet or a/c, it gets beat on pretty bad.. but even I wouldnt put a cage/exo on it until it is really trashed
Unread 08-19-2013, 09:08 PM   #15
ca07wk
2007 WK 

I keep getting the itch to run the Vegas to Reno Jeepspeed run, and for that a cage is required. I honestly just want to see how a basic bolt on jeep fairs 500 miles in the desert

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.