Rola Roof Rack Rust Issues - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > Rola Roof Rack Rust Issues

NEW JK WRANGLER GRAB BARS NOW at ROCKRIDGE4WDUSA Standard Chromoly Front Axle Shaft Kits with Dana 30 4Rugged Ridge Modular XHD Snorkel Now for both 3.8L and 3.6

Unread 05-10-2013, 12:38 PM   #1
BonesWK
2006 WK 

Rola Roof Rack Rust Issues

So I am getting a lot of surface rust and paint chipping on my Rola, after having it for a year and a half. The areas where the two pieces come together are chipping away so I decided to take it off and paint it up.

Well after further inspection, it seems water has gotten inside of the rack by way of the screw holes and small holes in the welded spots. Just a heads up to the Rola users out there, make sure ALL your screws are water tight (not just where the two pieces come together), or else you will have some nasty water in there. Look for small holes where the welding may have been missed, like where the small crossbars attach.

Now to strip of all OE screws buy all new stainless, paint, silicone gel the screw holes and reassemble.

2006 Black WK Limited 4.7 4x4 QD II -- RR 2.25" Lift - JK Moabs - 32" Wildpeaks - Rear OME Shocks - AFE Stage 2 Intake - Saguaro 4x Front Shackles - 1-1/2" Wheel Spacers - Tail Light Guards - CB - 4' Firestik - Rola Roof Rack - Exhaust
If you want to achieve greatness, stop asking for permission
Chive On
BonesWK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-10-2013, 12:53 PM   #2
sk1er18
2007 XK Commander 

Moisture will still get in, but then it'll be harder to get out.

Drill a few small holes, buy two cans of Great Stuff, pump it into all of the hollow tubes, let it expand/dry, cut off the stuff that protrudes out the cracks/holes as it expands, and you're good to go.

Unread 05-10-2013, 02:21 PM   #3
Budasac
2005 WK 

The water is getting in (for the most part) at the seam where the two pieces slide together. It's a very common issue. When you re-assemble, be sure to silicone the seam well.
Budasac is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-10-2013, 07:02 PM   #4
imthehink
2005 WK 

x2, Luckily I haven't had an issue with mine besides a couple little spots.
imthehink is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-13-2013, 06:19 AM   #5
BonesWK
2006 WK 

yeah, I tried to silicone the first time, but honestly did a half -*** job at it.

Now that I have it all apart I will do a better job this time. I will say, the stock screws they give you will rust away in 1-2 years.. at least mine did.
2006 Black WK Limited 4.7 4x4 QD II -- RR 2.25" Lift - JK Moabs - 32" Wildpeaks - Rear OME Shocks - AFE Stage 2 Intake - Saguaro 4x Front Shackles - 1-1/2" Wheel Spacers - Tail Light Guards - CB - 4' Firestik - Rola Roof Rack - Exhaust
If you want to achieve greatness, stop asking for permission
Chive On
BonesWK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-13-2013, 03:03 PM   #6
kVon

I had mine welded shut on day one. The finish has held up fine. It's obviously a one piece now, but I haven't had any issues with it.
Red WK Club Member #30
kVon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-13-2013, 03:38 PM   #7
toycam

I put black duct tape over where the front and back pieces join together.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.