ROLA Rack - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > ROLA Rack

Clayton Off Road WJ Long Arm Kits!Clayton Off Road - JK Prototype Gas Tank SkidTJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFG

Unread 07-31-2012, 06:55 PM   #16
06WKHEMI
2006 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TangoTango

I see about 3/4" lowering the rack because you are then sitting it metal on metal. That is you are gaining the height by reversing the pads that roof rack came with.

I don't see any "lowering" due to replacing the knobs with the bolts, a security improvement yes but no lowering.

Better fuel mileage with the rack lowered, but I personally would not run the roof rack on the just those attachment pins. That luggage moves up and down and the mounts are for cushsion just like engine mounts.
How do you figure the mounts are for cushioning they are a very hard plastic if they were rubber I would agree with you but they aren't ...I love the look of my rack being lowered and I don't see any adverse affects to it

2006 Black wk overland HEMI QDII. OME HD bilstein struts with 58643 monroe load levelers RRO uca, afe cold air intake,hella 500FF behind grille, RC 1.5 wheel spacers s4xc cb antenna mount with 5ft firestik and midland 1001wx CB,265/70-17 falken rockymountain ats, pinch weld mod, door lock mod, Rola basket with 2 Hella 500 FF`s.
06WKHEMI is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-31-2012, 08:45 PM   #17
Budasac
2005 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TangoTango View Post
I see about 3/4" lowering the rack because you are then sitting it metal on metal. That is you are gaining the height by reversing the pads that roof rack came with.

I don't see any "lowering" due to replacing the knobs with the bolts, a security improvement yes but no lowering.
Better fuel mileage with the rack lowered, but I personally would not run the roof rack on the just those attachment pins. That luggage moves up and down and the mounts are for cushsion just like engine mounts.
If you don't remove the knobs and replace them with bolts then you can't lower the rack. If you look at the pictures in my build you'll see that the outer bar of the Rola sits right on top of the knobs.

And the mounts aren't for cushion, they are rigid plastic, there is no way for anything to move.
Budasac is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-01-2012, 05:29 PM   #18
TangoTango
2008 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Budasac View Post
If you don't remove the knobs and replace them with bolts then you can't lower the rack. If you look at the pictures in my build you'll see that the outer bar of the Rola sits right on top of the knobs.
My bad ... you are correct. I didn't look close enough.

I agree lowering the rack is the way to go.
TangoTango is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-01-2012, 08:09 PM   #19
gemiller
2008 WK 

I emailed 4xguard and didn't get a response yet so I'll ask here. Is there any interference with the sunroof opening fully with this rack?
Unread 08-01-2012, 08:12 PM   #20
BAH101
2008 WK 

Nope, no interference as the sunroof opens fully into the roof.
Sorry, had to
It will not interfere with opening the sunroof in the vent position. It sits just behind the opening.
Unread 08-01-2012, 08:19 PM   #21
gemiller
2008 WK 

Yea, I didn't mean open as in slide, I don't really ever open sunroofs just vent them so I didn't really process that in my question lol! Thanks for the answer though!
Unread 08-01-2012, 10:40 PM   #22
Texas WJ
Web Wheeler

2005 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhawks28 View Post
Is your Rola branding on the front crooked? Mine is and it really bugs me:
Mine was, so I scraped it off and replaced the marred spot with something less crooked. A Jeep logo... (with the "Jeep" part cut out)

Before I cut the "Jeep" out:

Love my Rolla Rack.
Though I did tape up the joints in the middle. I was getting rain water in there and rust would drip out onto the paint at times. Not any more.
Unread 08-01-2012, 11:28 PM   #23
dferr17
2007 WK 

Heres my rola. I also flipped the hardware it came with upside down and replaced the factory knobs with bolts and washers. I like it alot better sitting lower

2007 WK Limited 4.7 -- 2" Daystar lift -- 265/70 General Grabber AT2 -- Superchip -- AFE CAI -- side stripe -- 08+ front end -- overland grill -- black vinyl pillars -- Fastman TB -- modified Rola roof rack - HIR 9012 low beams
dferr17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-02-2012, 07:53 AM   #24
bhawks28
2009 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas WJ View Post
Mine was, so I scraped it off and replaced the marred spot with something less crooked. A Jeep logo... (with the "Jeep" part cut out)

Before I cut the "Jeep" out:

Love my Rolla Rack.
Though I did tape up the joints in the middle. I was getting rain water in there and rust would drip out onto the paint at times. Not any more.
What did you use to scrape it off? Just a razor? Also, I read somewhere on here you should put RTV sealant inbetween the joints of the rack to prevent the rust water.
Unread 08-02-2012, 10:26 AM   #25
Budasac
2005 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhawks28

What did you use to scrape it off? Just a razor? Also, I read somewhere on here you should put RTV sealant inbetween the joints of the rack to prevent the rust water.
A headlight resto kit works great for removing the logo. Buff it off and then polish.

And yes, you should seal the seam before you install it.
Unread 08-02-2012, 12:29 PM   #26
Texas WJ
Web Wheeler

2005 WK 

Headlight kit would have been easier, I didn't think of that. I spent the time and scraped it off with a flat edge razor blade. Not recommended if you don't have the patience.

I hadn't read of the RTV, but that would have made sense. Oh well.
Unread 08-02-2012, 08:40 PM   #27
TangoTango
2008 WK 

Is that Logo a sticker I can remove a heat gun ... or do I need to buff it off with plastic polish?

And where are the channels that need the goo? .. I was thinking Black ATV?
Unread 08-02-2012, 08:53 PM   #28
Budasac
2005 WK 

The logo is silk screened. Either buff or wet sand (or scrape) it then polish.

The rack comes in two peices. The seam(s) where the two pieces join tend to let rain water in and rust water out.
Unread 08-02-2012, 08:57 PM   #29
TangoTango
2008 WK 

Thanks for the heads up !!!
Unread 08-06-2012, 07:15 PM   #30
ronburgundy1293
2006 WK 

Texas WJ:
What did you use to secure your tire to your ROLA?

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.