Rock Lights - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > Rock Lights

The RuffStuff "I can't go to EJS" Sale!Offset Tie Rod Kit From RuffStuff!Check out our NEW Steering Stuff!

Unread 04-28-2010, 03:29 PM   #1
Dreezy
1990 FSJ Wagoneer 

Rock Lights

I have been trying to figure out a low budget, high result project for my wk. Im not sure whether to go with a set of multiple small LED lights and spend lots of time on a clean install to have it go to waste in the michigan salt & snow, or a set of cheapo fog lights from a local parts store with the harness and all the other junk I will need included.

I was also looking for ideas of what people have done on their boneless jeeps either a wk or a project of past. Whatever I end up doing Ill be sure to take pictures.

Dreezy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-29-2010, 12:07 PM   #2
meep
2008 WK 

put the time and effort into the wiring, then use whatever lights fit and can be replaced. small is important. there are some solid resin, 1/2" thick leds on quadratec for like 40 a pair. light output might be limited, but they'll be impervious to salt. Low-buck clearance/marker/backup lights might also be attractive.
meep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-29-2010, 04:28 PM   #3
Dreezy
1990 FSJ Wagoneer 

Those are a very nice design. I really like the idea of a magnet mount as well. $130 for a set of sixand harness dosent seem that bad either. However there is a decent chance of these getting bounched around and I'm not positive these magnets would stay on for my long distance highway drives I make either. Plus I would like something that I can walk into a parts store and pick up as well. I'm leaning towards a cheap set of thin, rectangular fog lamps from any general parts store. Im going to get under the heep tonight to see what there is to attach to.
Unread 04-29-2010, 04:48 PM   #4
Acidcold
2005 WK 

I would buy cheap lights and buy a HID kit for better light for half the cost of PIAA or KC's
Acidcold is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-29-2010, 06:54 PM   #5
gornoman
2006 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreezy View Post
I'm leaning towards a cheap set of thin, rectangular fog lamps from any general parts store. Im going to get under the heep tonight to see what there is to attach to.
These won't last a year under there. The housings will crumble in the salt.
Blue WK Club Member #15
My other passion - WWW.buggiesgonewild.com
gornoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-29-2010, 08:04 PM   #6
Dreezy
1990 FSJ Wagoneer 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gornoman View Post
These won't last a year under there. The housings will crumble in the salt.
That's kinda what I figured. I might end up using the ORO LiteSPOTZ. I will just have to find a different spot to mount them. I might use one as throw away light to do something that I think will look pretty sweet, but really have zero function (other than to look sweet).
Unread 04-29-2010, 08:26 PM   #7
sparkeep
2005 TJ Wrangler 

I've had these LED accent lights under my TJ for one year so far with no issues (Canadian winters with road salt). The mounting bracket is aluminum and the electronics/LED is all waterproof.

These throw a nice gentle flood light pattern that is bright enough to see but not bright enough to really effect your night vision. If you want cool looking ground effects, you may want something else... they hardly show up when streetlights are around. They do fill in shadows though.

Long exposure shot for demo purposes:
Toronto, ON, Canada
sparkeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-30-2010, 06:13 AM   #8
BonesWK
2006 WK 

that looks good spark.
2006 Black WK Limited 4.7 4x4 QD II -- RR 2.25" Lift - JK Moabs - 32" Wildpeaks - Rear OME Shocks - AFE Stage 2 Intake - Saguaro 4x Front Shackles - 1-1/2" Wheel Spacers - Tail Light Guards - CB - 4' Firestik - Rola Roof Rack - Exhaust
If you want to achieve greatness, stop asking for permission
Chive On
BonesWK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-30-2010, 07:06 AM   #9
Dreezy
1990 FSJ Wagoneer 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkeep View Post
I've had these LED accent lights under my TJ for one year so far with no issues (Canadian winters with road salt). The mounting bracket is aluminum and the electronics/LED is all waterproof.

These throw a nice gentle flood light pattern that is bright enough to see but not bright enough to really effect your night vision. If you want cool looking ground effects, you may want something else... they hardly show up when streetlights are around. They do fill in shadows though.

Waterproof and dealing with michigan winters is key. I dont want to fry a $30 led in some water or crush it on a log/rock either (even though the will be mounted up out of the way). But of course if spending more $ means a more quality product...

It seems to be the only wheeling I get to do recently is at night, after my son is in bed. He is too young to enjoy it and is only content in his car seat for so long. I would like to be able to just exactly what I am in with my jeep late at night. This past winter it would have been very useful.

I am not very interested in what these will look like on the street. The only time these will ever be used for "street cred" is when Im rolling around at the silver lake sand dunes because everything up there is really just for show. My saturn vue would be just as capable up there as my jeep is.
Unread 04-30-2010, 09:21 AM   #10
sparkeep
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Also, one thing to note is there are 10 of these LEDs under there.
Toronto, ON, Canada
Unread 04-30-2010, 09:28 AM   #11
Dreezy
1990 FSJ Wagoneer 

I just placed an order for 8 of the lite spotz from northridge 4x4. They were the only company I could find with free shipping. I also plan to make my own brackets out of aluminum angle. My only concern now is drilling holes in the underside. I guess some good silicone should take care of that though.
Unread 04-30-2010, 09:35 AM   #12
meep
2008 WK 

i've had the cheapo halogen fogs under there before. They're too big, get banged up, and are a big power draw. If nothing else, look at those surface mount, chrome/glass 15watt backup lights. But-- if you protect the wiring, those small, totally-sealed LEDs look great. And you can run them with engine at idle without power woes, or even engine off for some time before having to worry. in fact, you could run separate L/R switches and leave the left side lit when parking roadside on unlit crappy roads.... always wanted a red LED in the left rear tail lamp just for this purpose!
meep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-30-2010, 09:52 AM   #13
sparkeep
2005 TJ Wrangler 

When I first installed my LED rock lights, I accidentally left them on overnight and all through work the next day. Battery was fine and the jeep started up with no issues at all. LEDs draw little to no current from the battery. All my rocklights draw less than 2.5A when on.
Toronto, ON, Canada
Unread 05-09-2010, 08:22 PM   #14
Dreezy
1990 FSJ Wagoneer 

Rock lights installed

Unread 05-09-2010, 08:39 PM   #15
Devilsmed98
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Looks really good man, they light up the place pretty good. How about some pictures with them off in the daylight so we can see how they look. I'd be interested in these....even though my Jeep has no reason to go offroad, but they look cool.
~Black WK Club Member #9~
2011 WKII Overland
2007 WK Limited[/COLOR]
1995 YJ Rio Grande
Devilsmed98 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.