Rip out radio for XM/Ipod - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > Rip out radio for XM/Ipod

Dana 30 Truss for your TJ, LJ, ZJ, and XJIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineArtec JK Under Armor Bellypan

Unread 12-15-2006, 07:41 PM   #1
njgrand

Rip out radio for XM/Ipod

Hi,

1. I need to install my XM radio and iPod in my 2006 Grand. I have all the parts ready to roll, but I need help taking apart the trim around the radio/air controls. Has anyone taken this off(the metal trim that goes around air controls and the plastic around the radio)? If so, what is the best way to go about it. I need to get in there so I can hide all wires and drill some holes.

2. I want to put my iPod in the box under the arm rest and maybe install a power adapter in there. Any tips on taking the center console apart? I just don't feel like breaking things apart.

3. I want the power for the XM radio to come from the radio. Meaning, when you turn your Jeep off, the radio is still on. I want to tap into that power. Any ideas on where this is and if there is an easy way to get to it?

4. Anyway to hook my Aux line into the back of the radio. I have the input jack on the front of the radio, but having wires not seen would be ideal.

I don't have the SAT radio. Only the FM/CD with aux input. Just to grip, this is the worst radio I have ever had. Why in the world would a radio default back to FM or CD but not the aux when connected? Sucks having to push the mode button everytime I get in the car. I only listen to XM radio or my ipod. Anyway, any help with the above would be great.

njgrand is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-16-2006, 10:20 AM   #2
brandoncrone
1996 ZJ 

1. You need to remove the bezel around the shifter, the chrome ring around comes off first (providing yours is chrome), then the outer piece of the shifter bezel needs to come off. The you can remove the center stack bezel. Some models may have a screw in or near the coin holder/ash tray. That would be the only screw holding the thing together.

2. No secrets taking the console out, i believe that two screws are exposed when the shifter bezel is off and there should be two more inside the console at the bottom.

3. You wouldn't be able to tap into the radio to keep your XM on when the key is off like the radio. The radio receives its 'wake up' signal over the communications bus. The radio itself has no switched power going to it only constant B+. The radio turns itself on and off via the communication signal it gets. And there is no power antennae output.

4. There are several audio inputs built into the 22 pin connector on the back of the radio, but I believe that the radio will ignore the inputs as they are for the Satellite radio, hands free interface, and the media system. If you are not equipped with any of those, I think that the radio will ignore those pins. You could get the IPod interface kit from Mopar, no exposed wires using that.

There really is not much help here the newer the vehicles get the more complex and harder to integrate aftermarket components into them.
brandoncrone is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.