Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Rim rub problems

782 views 13 replies 5 participants last post by  caulk04 
#1 ·
So I bought the 5 for 4 Procomp 51 series 17x9 deal through Kolak, and when looking at Quadratecs websites as well as a few others, they all said they would fit a commander. Long story short, got them, bolted one up, moved it a little, abd you could see that the caliper bracket was rubbing the back of the D-windows slightly. I took it off, filed down the raised part of the caliper, still rub.
Now I have a Hemi 4wd commander, abd I know my brakes are bigger than 3.7, and I knew a guy with the exact same rims on a 3.7, with fiber figure width room, but I also know a guy with 4.7 4wd with the 52 series 17x8, abd his fit fine.

So, do Hemis have bigger brakes than both the 3.7 & 4.7, or is there a difference between the 51 and 52 series Procomp, besides the inch in width?

Because if I can't return, or swap, in going to shave the caliper bracket, and I was wondering if anyone has had to do that.

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk

See less See more
#2 ·
I would take a grinder and give both caliper brackets a good massage on the edges. Don't go crazy, but with that little rub you should be able to take off more than enough material from the bracket to solve the issue.

The best way would be the most time consuming. jack up the front end and remove the tires, grind a tiny bit off the bracket, then put the wheel on, then spin it and check for clearance. Then repeat as necessary. You're looking for at least 1/4" clearance I would say. The wheels shouldn't flex any more than that (if at all).

#5 ·
Brakes on a Hemi are definitely bigger than 3.7. A guy has the exact same rims on his 3.7 2wd and has almost finger width gap.

I ended up shaving the the brake caliper bracket, they work, barely.

We'll see how they do once tires are mounted and installed

#8 ·
Brakes on a Hemi are definitely bigger than 3.7. A guy has the exact same rims on his 3.7 2wd and has almost finger width gap.

I ended up shaving the the brake caliper bracket, they work, barely.

We'll see how they do once tires are mounted and installed
No. They don't. WK brakes are all the same excluding, of course, SRT models.

The only difference was on early WK's the bracket you modified was shaped a little differently, apparently. Many threads on here about early WK owners not needing spacers to run Moab wheels whereas everyone else needs a thin spacer.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.