Require tech assistance. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > Require tech assistance.

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! 2 door JK Recruit Half hardtop Kits Now available!

Unread 03-31-2015, 11:55 AM   #1
Craigyfm
2006 WK 

Require tech assistance.

Currently have the 06 WK CRD Limited. I carry out a lot of the service work myself, due to Jeep Dealerships being a disgrace and the plethora of advice and excellent pointers from here. I have an issue, after a recent oil change I am experiencing a distinct tick on cold start. I've read it may be a stick valve or poor pressure from the oil pump???. The tick disappeared after a run and engine warms. Now, I've also been told it may be a vacuum leak causing the noise. Can anyone explain how to positively diagnose this. I have purchased a valve lifter treatment. The oil and filter are good quality, Castrol Edge 5w30 and Mann filter. Any advice is gratefully appreciated.

Craigyfm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-31-2015, 01:31 PM   #2
msully725

Is that that correct oil called for by the service manual?

You can get an automotive stethoscope to pin point the sound, or, if you have one laying around, you can use a piece of rubber hose to do the same thing.
msully725 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-31-2015, 02:23 PM   #3
Craigyfm
2006 WK 

Yes 9.5 litres of 5w30 c3 my 229'31/51. It's expensive oil.
Craigyfm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-18-2015, 11:08 PM   #4
Supermanbaja
2008 WK 

I to just got a off beat ticking sound only at idle after changing my oil and using a Mann HU821x oil filter oil was mobil one 0w40 229.50 rated. this is the first time using a Mann filter might go back to a Napa gold filter and see if it stops
Unread 07-20-2015, 10:20 PM   #5
Chirpz
2007 WK 

I doubt the oil filter would be the cause. I have used both the Mann and the Napa with no problems. Use the Napa mostly.

I do spray my rig with DEET and I think that help keep ticks away.... Sorry..couldn't resist.
EHM MOD, Garmin Mechanic EcoHD, K&N Filter (Deleted)
Chirpz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-20-2015, 10:29 PM   #6
Supermanbaja
2008 WK 

I find it odd that it just started the first start up after an oil change with different oil and filter than iv been running.
Unread 07-21-2015, 10:41 PM   #7
Chirpz
2007 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supermanbaja View Post
I find it odd that it just started the first start up after an oil change with different oil and filter than iv been running.
That does seem odd. I'm no oil expert but I would question the oil before questioning the filter. The forum is awash with arguments about oil.... I'm sure you seen them. Attached is the chart from MB. I'm not seeing that that oil is recommended for this engine. Also, did you pour the first quart or so, down the filter opening?

I confess that I just switched to Rotella T6 5w-40 on my last change..... no ticking. Its not on the chart either, but so many guys are using it, I decided to give it a try since I have the dpf delete.
File Type: pdf Spec_223_2.pdf (32.9 KB, 9 views)
EHM MOD, Garmin Mechanic EcoHD, K&N Filter (Deleted)
Chirpz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-22-2015, 10:16 PM   #8
Supermanbaja
2008 WK 

Iv been using Rotella T6 but it doesn't meet the 229.5 rating for extended drain intervals so I switched to Mobil 1 European car formula that is rated. And I put half the oil down the filter side since day I first changed my oil. the funny thing is it comes and goes. It happens more when it has been sitting for a little bit but not cold by any means. It is 0W40 but I am positive it is less viscus then the Rotella 5W40 out of the jug.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.