Replacing throttle body on 5.7 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > Replacing throttle body on 5.7

Introducing MONSTALINERô UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineCHASSIS SAVERô Labor Day 2 for 1 Sale!!!JKS Flex Connect in Actions!

Unread 02-07-2015, 12:54 PM   #1
longboy
2006 WK 

Replacing throttle body on 5.7

So, I've had a couple of DTCs relating to the throttle body on my '06 Hemi: P0507 and P2110 IIRC. I have not tried to clean the TB, and I'm willing to give it a try (I've read Walt's suggested method of cleaning it and will go that route), but I want to be ready to replace the TB if needed.

The Jeep has 116k and likely has not been cleaned/replaced. Is there anything you have to do when replacing the TB to get the codes reset? I'm assuming disconnecting the negative battery cable is a start, but is there any "learning" procedure for a new TB?

Frankly, I'm just sick of the check engine light (last code was the oil pressure sending unit). Thanks in advance for any pointers-

::edit:: Just wanted to add that I did recently replace the PCV and air filter after these DTCs showed up, but the code is still active. I didn't figure it would fix the problem, but both were due for replacement.

Unread 02-07-2015, 05:27 PM   #2
90grandoneer
2006 WK 

First, Walt's procedure is a good one. He is very knowlegeable. Is the throttle response still good or are there problems with throttle application, idle or ??? If you don't already, add a catch can if/when you clean the throttle body. The battery disconnect should clear your codes. On a new throttle body, there is a relearn procedure. If you end up doing it, let me know and I'll post them up. I got the instructions with my aftermarket BBK throttl bodies for my Hemi's.
06 GCO, Dk Khaki, QDII, Flshing Hi 3rd Bk Lt, MDS "ON" Lt, Airtab Vortex Gens, Debadged, Fumoto Drain Valve, BT Catch Can, Chopped EGR Tube, SRT8 CAI, K&N Filter, Sonnax Trans Line Press Booster, SC Tuner W/Adv Trans Tune App, DS Tuner, Cust tubular hdrs w/3 in Magnaflow/Xlerator AP Exh Sys, Bilsteins, SRT Springs/Sways, Cust Eng Cvr, SRT8 frt/rear bumpers, FRI Sidewinder Cam/6.1 valvetrain, SLP 25% UD Pulley, BBK true 90mm T-Body, SOS Ign Coils w/.060 spark plug gaps, SRT Reps with 265/45&295/40X20's.
90grandoneer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-07-2015, 05:28 PM   #3
Greever
2008 WK 

Are catch cans only applicable for hemi's?
Greever is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-07-2015, 05:40 PM   #4
90grandoneer
2006 WK 

No, you can put one on any vehicle with a Positive Crankcase Ventilation System. The 5.7's have a particularly poor system that cycles a lot of oil/condensation through the combustion tract of the engine. This adversely affects performance (and hence fuel economy) and, if bad enough, can contaminate the Catalytic Converters and O2 Sensors. Many have put them on the 4.7's and even the 3.7's.
06 GCO, Dk Khaki, QDII, Flshing Hi 3rd Bk Lt, MDS "ON" Lt, Airtab Vortex Gens, Debadged, Fumoto Drain Valve, BT Catch Can, Chopped EGR Tube, SRT8 CAI, K&N Filter, Sonnax Trans Line Press Booster, SC Tuner W/Adv Trans Tune App, DS Tuner, Cust tubular hdrs w/3 in Magnaflow/Xlerator AP Exh Sys, Bilsteins, SRT Springs/Sways, Cust Eng Cvr, SRT8 frt/rear bumpers, FRI Sidewinder Cam/6.1 valvetrain, SLP 25% UD Pulley, BBK true 90mm T-Body, SOS Ign Coils w/.060 spark plug gaps, SRT Reps with 265/45&295/40X20's.
Unread 02-07-2015, 06:09 PM   #5
longboy
2006 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90grandoneer View Post
Is the throttle response still good or are there problems with throttle application, idle or ???
Throttle response is still fine, and no noticeable problems with idle.

Quote:
If you don't already, add a catch can if/when you clean the throttle body. The battery disconnect should clear your codes.
Not sure how long I'm planning on keeping the WK at this point. Too many problems recently and I'm thinking it's time to move along.

Quote:
On a new throttle body, there is a relearn procedure. If you end up doing it, let me know and I'll post them up. I got the instructions with my aftermarket BBK throttl bodies for my Hemi's.
If cleaning and resetting the codes by battery disconnect doesn't keep the DTCs away, I'll post here when I buy a replacement TB. I'm hopeful that a good cleaning will take care of it, but I haven't had much good fortune with this WK lately

Thanks 90grandoneer
Unread 08-13-2015, 02:03 PM   #6
Swim3600
2006 WK 

Quote:
No, you can put one on any vehicle with a Positive Crankcase Ventilation System. The 5.7's have a particularly poor system that cycles a lot of oil/condensation through the combustion tract of the engine. This adversely affects performance (and hence fuel economy) and, if bad enough, can contaminate the Catalytic Converters and O2 Sensors. Many have put them on the 4.7's and even the 3.7's.
My apologies for the thread resurrection!

I have read and studied so much on this great forum and had to ask this question of 90grandoneer...

How has the mounting placement of your BT Catch Can worked out for you on your 06 WK Hemi? Anything you would do differently if you were to do it again? I have researched so many of you and Walts posts and because of them have been able to accomplish so many things I would not have been able to do on my own.

Specifically looking at this picture of your BT Can:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f67/b...stion-2074009/

I would love to do this to my 06 WK Hemi as well. Any chance you recall what length and size metric bolt you used to mount it as well as where you went to get the hoses?

First post here after months of reading. Hope I am not violating any Forum protocols

If you happen to come across this thank you so much, in advance, for your time. Very much appreciated!

--Mike

Last edited by Swim3600; 08-13-2015 at 02:14 PM..
Swim3600 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-13-2015, 02:53 PM   #7
90grandoneer
2006 WK 

First, welcome to the forum, Mike. Glad you're able to use some of the info. members have posted.

My install of the BT Catch Can (http://billettechnology.com/) was as simple as I could make it. The CC that I used was the same one I have on my Hemi LX. There may be one specifically for the Jeep by now though. I have not had any problem with the mount, the location or servicing of the can. FWIW, I've also added a second, in-line PCV Valve in an effort to slow down the flow of contaminants through the engine. It does not seem to have done much though, but I'll still leave it in place.

I just went out and did a quick approximate measurement of the bolt and it is about 2 3/4 in. long. The size is whatever the mount hole is on the BT can. Also, IIRC, it is metric. I went to our local industrial nut and bolt place and picked up the bolt, a couple flat washers, and two nuts......one nut to hold the bolt in place on the strut support and one bolt as a jam nut to hold the can in place. You may also be able to get them at places like Home Depot. You'll also have to drill the hole out in the strut support to match the size of the bolt you get.

IIRC, the hoses came with the can. If they don't, you can get them at any good auto parts place. In any case, they must be fuel/oil resistant or they'll eventually "weep" through the sidewalls like they did on my Hemi LX after about 3 years.

Hope this helps a little, and let us know how it goes.
Unread 08-13-2015, 04:16 PM   #8
Swim3600
2006 WK 

Thank you for the welcome and as always great information and thank you so much for the reply 90grandoneer! My weekend project.

Back onto the TB topic if you don't mind humoring a newbie....

I have read every post I can find on this including Walt's cleaning procedures. I tried to use alcohol and gently rub the grime off but it was a futile endeavor. I, however, did not take the TB all the way off. Just opened up the butterfly and gave it a try.

I just picked up this 06 WK Hemi from the original owners with 98k on it. An older couple, garaged, never off-roaded, not a scratch anywhere and it seriously looks like it just came off the lot on the inside and outside...pristine with dealership maintenance by the book every 3K miles.

That being said the TB has obviously never been cleaned. Do you think by taking it all the way off I can accomplish the cleaning? I swear it looks like I need to take a razor blade to it to get the crap off but I know its a machined surface and I'm not sure if this is advisable? Maybe I'm just not giving it enough elbow grease and time? Maybe after 98k it just won't come clean?

Sorry for the beginner questions. Thanks to this forum I have successfully changed out the plugs, EGR Valve, PCV Valve, MAP Sensor, added an Airaid Tube and AFE dry filter, and am going to knock out the TB cleaning and BT Catch Can this weekend.

Cheers and thanks again...
Unread 08-13-2015, 08:08 PM   #9
90grandoneer
2006 WK 

Taking the TB off should not be a problem. If you're really concerned, just take it off without unplugging it and then clean with a fiber type brush, or maybe a wood or plastic scraper. I wouldn't use a razor blade on it unless I were really, really careful. If you take it off, also look back into the intake plenum for any puddling of oil. When doing the TB, just be careful not to get any cleaner/alcohol into the electronics of the unit. I've heard of some folks that submerged the TB in cleaner, and obviously they had problems. Just being patient, taking your time, and using extra care should yield good results for you.
Unread 08-13-2015, 11:36 PM   #10
JeepHemi4x4

One really easy thing I do when just doing a quick clean is leave it plugged in and lay paper towels down under the throttle body area and lay the unit down on them. Then lightly spray throttle body/carb cleaner on the valve and the stuff I use in the aerosol can just takes off all the oil and stuff on the back of the valve. I personally wouldnt touch it. You risk a CEL coming up for other TB related things. The paper towel under the unit will show you all the gunk that came off the backside of the butterfly valve.

Hope this helps you out! I have 133k on mine and started cleaning the TB like i just explained when I bought the WK at 90k and never had a CEL for anything throttle body related. Good luck!
JeepHemi4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-14-2015, 06:50 AM   #11
Swim3600
2006 WK 

Thank you for your advice and for taking the time to reply 90grandoneer. Sounds easy enough! Going to give it a shot this weekend.

Much appreciated Sir. Thanks again...
Unread 08-14-2015, 06:51 AM   #12
Swim3600
2006 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepHemi4x4 View Post
One really easy thing I do when just doing a quick clean is leave it plugged in and lay paper towels down under the throttle body area and lay the unit down on them. Then lightly spray throttle body/carb cleaner on the valve and the stuff I use in the aerosol can just takes off all the oil and stuff on the back of the valve. I personally wouldnt touch it. You risk a CEL coming up for other TB related things. The paper towel under the unit will show you all the gunk that came off the backside of the butterfly valve.

Hope this helps you out! I have 133k on mine and started cleaning the TB like i just explained when I bought the WK at 90k and never had a CEL for anything throttle body related. Good luck!
Just saw your reply. A big thank you as well for the advice. Sounds like a good plan of attack for my first attempt at this.

Thanks so much!
Unread 08-14-2015, 12:58 PM   #13
JeepHemi4x4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swim3600
Just saw your reply. A big thank you as well for the advice. Sounds like a good plan of attack for my first attempt at this. Thanks so much!
You bet!
JeepHemi4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-14-2015, 02:10 PM   #14
CUZZIN
2005 WK 

90grandoneer & Walt they are very smart jeep guys they help me out a lot doing the basic tune up with MAP sensor, pcv valve, egr, catch can, spark plugs, taylor shorties and cleaning my TB. What I did to my TB cleaning is remove my TB without unpluging it put a clean rag under it and used CRC throttle cleaner, spary it very gently and some on a micro fiber cloth and wiping it gently until it was fairly clean then with a q-tip to clean around the butterfly plate. DON"T get it on the electricals. after all the time and effort I gained 3-5 mpg and it runs better without doubts in the back of your head. This forum has all the knowledge take your time and understand the procedures then attempt it. It is well worth it save on labor charges. It isn't that hard but lots of tricks to make it easier without frustration. Hope this helps.
CUZZIN is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.