Replacing T-case Shift motor - need advice - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > Replacing T-case Shift motor - need advice

Labor Day Sale!Clayton Off Road - last day of the Labor Day special!FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome Effect

Unread 10-25-2013, 07:24 PM   #16
zedtechus
2008 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by OurayWK View Post
Hello, yep it sounds like your having the same issue I was having. I was able to get more out of my tech...he gave me the DTC code he pulled from the FDCM: C1438. Apparently this code reference states "transfer case clutch worn" which is the same diagnosis a lot of people get on this forum. My tech did a further pinpoint diagnosis and "found tcase position sensor giving incorrect data, need to replace sensor which is part of shift motor".

I believe the range sensor/ mode sensor/ position sensor are all the same thing. I pretty sure the mode sensor is the part that the wire harness plugs into. You have to replace the whole shift motor to replace the mode sensor. On Rock Auto, it's RETECH Part#UMM1245, $177.89 with a $35 core charge. I also checked the RETECH website and they cover shift motors with a 12mo/12,000 mile warranty which was reassuring. RETECH is a brand by Universal Manufacturing.

All I needed was a socket wrench and a torque wrench - I can't remember what socket size - 10mm I think? Just unbolt and remove the old motor. I used some carb cleaner to clean the mating surface, there was a little dust in there. Then just "add hi-temp grease between the [new] shift motor assembly and the t-case mating surface for seal" - per the service manual. Install the new shift motor by aligning the toothed spline on the shift motor spline. There's only one way it can go on. Add a drop of Loctite 242 to the bolts before re-installing. 242 is the blue medium strength threadlock, also available from Permatech. Torque the bolts to 25-28N-m (18.5-20.5 ft-lbs). I only had an in-lb torque wrench so I made the conversion 234 in-lbs, if I remember right. I was careful to not overtorque the bolts since the t-case housing is aluminum and will strip easily. Plug back in the wire harness and you're done. I shifted into and out of 4low a few times to check that it was working fine. I've had no problems since. Only been 4wheeling once since making the swap, unfortunately. Hopefully I'll get over to Moab soon though, I'm getting spring fever already.

Hope that helps!
Thanks for the info, I just got the Service 4WD System message when I try to pull into 4low. It just worked fine for about 2 months after the N23 recall and now it stopped working....

I just wanted to know if the part number #UMM1245 you order for your Jeep will be the same for my GC 2008 Diesel with QTII?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Unread 12-09-2013, 03:18 PM   #17
PaulSpaulding

Transfer casr shift motor, 2008 Jeep Grand Cherokee

Hey mahlinski

Same problem. My transfer case shift motor is out. Had the recall done in August. Jeep claims there is no correlation. Mine is full time 4-wheel. Jeep has a tight 60 day window on your 5 year anniversary date you must bring in to get the free power train inspection to keep the life time power train warranty in effect. If you miss that window they void the warranty. There is no notice given by anyone, buyer beware. There are no lights that come on unless you activate the 4 low switch. Chrysler says it is the buyer responsibility to have the inspection done in that tight 60 day window. Very poor customer service, especially on a hidden defect.
PaulSpaulding is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-10-2013, 04:26 PM   #18
WTFC

Recall unfixed

I have had same problem 4wd system light after recall had it looked at by certified mechanic and good friend. He did system check and all was fine deleted bad code but it returned. We need to call 800 Chrysler and goto nhtsa.gov and file a complaint. It is not a coincidence that there is a back order of this bad part ( over 500 pieces from dealer call your dealer and see) complain and they may cover it even if you have already payed for repairs. I had no problems before recall flash update
WTFC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-10-2013, 07:49 PM   #19
ducktail
2009 WK 

It will take one hungry attorney.
Unread 12-16-2013, 04:50 PM   #20
mc030587

I to have had this issue. I talked to my service tech and he showed me an internal memo not for customer consumption that stated some transfer case shift motors will become defective after this recall is done. Called Chrysler and they talked to the dealer who basically says there is no correlation. Obviously there still is and Chrysler knows about it. Im sniffing a class action lawsuit.
mc030587 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-17-2013, 12:56 PM   #21
4x4druid

we should really get the ball rolling on a LAW SUIT Im getting no help from chrysler after they did their "investigation" in the matter they still say I need to swallow the bill for the actuator
I have code C1405 and C1406 immediately after they rolled my truck out of the service bay and I tried to engage 4low after the N23 recall
4x4druid is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-08-2014, 10:10 AM   #22
refrantz
2005 WJ 

Transfer case shift motor failure after recall

I also had a failure after the recall. Is there any thing out there that we can do? They want $474 to fix something that they caused. Update: 1-09-14. I filed a complaint with 1-800-Chrysler. Case Number 24413048. I talked to other repair shops to see what they could do and thier cost is more due to they cannot access any parts. There are no 2nd party remanufactured parts and the Chrysler part are currently under nation wide back order. (Wonder why???). The reply that Chrysler told me was the same as others are saying. The recall could not have caused the failure. The Recall number was N23 / NHTSA 13V-175 Update 1-15-14: Found info at website http://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/...=128329&page=2 that stated that if you Turn the key to on and do not start, then shif to Neutral, then pull the Lo lever the motor would shift. And then start the engine and it would work after the reset. Sure enough...... it worked for me. The Lo range shif now works and I do not get the Error code any longer. So much for help from the dealer. It seems that the tech forgot to clear the codes after the recall. I hope others see this reply to save them some grief and I hope Chrysler starts investigating the reason so many failures are occuring after the recall.

Last edited by refrantz; 01-15-2014 at 07:04 AM.. Reason: added info
refrantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-09-2014, 11:20 AM   #23
refrantz
2005 WJ 

Has anyone got the fix yet and what did they charge for the repair?

Last edited by refrantz; 01-10-2014 at 10:52 AM.. Reason: added info
refrantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-17-2014, 08:36 PM   #24
CDR07
2007 WK 

Looking for a little help. I tow my 07 CDR behind my motor home. I got recall notice last year and had done in late Sept. Moved twice and them started getting Service Trans when I tried to put transfer cast in neutral to toe. Took to dealer and they replace a different actuator and had to totally reprogram trans. Had same thing happen today and dealer said I had a Bad TCASE Actuator and they have been on backorder for over a year. They cleared the code and it went to disconnect but said I would have to have that done every time I try to toe. Anyone have any ideas??
CDR07 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.