Replacing T-case Shift motor - need advice - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > Replacing T-case Shift motor - need advice

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineGrizzly Lockers available at Rockridge4wd.comThe ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! Brough

Unread 12-04-2009, 02:04 PM   #1
OurayWK
2006 WK 

Replacing T-case Shift motor - need advice

I'm getting set to replace my transfer case shift motor myself (Jeep out of warranty). While back I had a Service 4WD System EVIC message, t-case wouldn't shift into 4-low, and dealer tech said a code for faulty shift motor mode sensor was present. I've got a new shift motor through RockAuto and I'm going to do the swap tomorrow.

Question: Service manual says to "add high temperature grease between the shift motor assembly and the transfer case mating surface for sealing purposes" - why would you use grease for a seal like this. Did they mean and should I use high temperature RTV?

Anybody done this before and what did you use?

2006 WK Laredo, 4.7L: 4in Superlift, 285/70R17 BFG KM2s, AEV Pintlers, Superchip Flashpaq, K&N CAI, Flowmaster 50series, ARB Air Locker & air comp, S4xC Hidden Winch Mnt, S4xC Alum T-case Skid, S4xC Boulder Grille, S4xC CB Ant Mnt, 4XGuard Rock Sliders, Warn VR10000 winch, Viking Winchline, LED Taillights, Cobra 75WXST CB.
OurayWK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-18-2010, 04:43 PM   #2
sgourd
2007 XK Commander 

I, too, am curious about this. I might have to do the same thing here. Anybody? Bueller? Bueller?
sgourd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-18-2010, 09:41 PM   #3
OurayWK
2006 WK 

I did go ahead with the replacement. Both the shift motor housing and the transfer case are sealed so there's nothing to leak between the two. I figure the hi-temp grease seal between the shift motor and t-case is just to keep dust out. I performed the swap as indicated in the service manual and so far no problems. Very easy swap with basic tools. Now it shifts just like new and no Service 4WD System messages! RockAuto...well they rock!
2006 WK Laredo, 4.7L: 4in Superlift, 285/70R17 BFG KM2s, AEV Pintlers, Superchip Flashpaq, K&N CAI, Flowmaster 50series, ARB Air Locker & air comp, S4xC Hidden Winch Mnt, S4xC Alum T-case Skid, S4xC Boulder Grille, S4xC CB Ant Mnt, 4XGuard Rock Sliders, Warn VR10000 winch, Viking Winchline, LED Taillights, Cobra 75WXST CB.
Unread 01-19-2010, 10:43 AM   #4
sgourd
2007 XK Commander 

Sweet! Sounds like replacing the motor is the easy part and not as expensive as I thought. The hard part is the diagnosis. My DTC reader isn't throwing any codes and I want to make sure the transfer case control module isn't the culprit. That would be waaaaaay more expensive. Thanks for the response.
Unread 01-19-2010, 11:00 AM   #5
OurayWK
2006 WK 

Yeah, for the diagnosis, I had to have the dealership's help. They had to use the Starscan to pull codes from the Final Drive Control Module and determine what the real culprit was. The tech could see that the analog shift sensor inside the shift motor was not reading the correct position of the shift rail. So I knew that the shift motor was faulty and needed to be replaced.

If you're out of warranty like I am, you'll just have to pay the stealership to diagnose what's wrong so you know what to replace.
Unread 01-19-2010, 04:14 PM   #6
sgourd
2007 XK Commander 

I'm at 50,000 miles and the second owner so I feel your pain. I had my transfer case checked today at the bastardership and they determined I need a new range sensor before they could do any further diagnostics. They said that may be the issue or it may not. Love the vagueness. I have no clue where this sensor is located but they said it senses what position the transfer case is in.
Unread 01-19-2010, 04:44 PM   #7
sgourd
2007 XK Commander 

Also, after doing a little research, the range sensor they said I needed is also called the mode sensor.
Unread 01-20-2010, 08:22 AM   #8
sgourd
2007 XK Commander 

I just read an article about the NV245 Transfer Case and saw a great diagram. Apparently, the shift motor (aka actuator) and encoder (aka mode sensor, aka range sensor) are part of the same assembly. The one you got from Rockauto, did it come with the encoder attached? The thing you plug the wire harness into? Also, what tools did you use to remove it? Sorry to keep bugging you about it, but it's hard to find somebody with all the same variables.
Unread 01-20-2010, 10:19 AM   #9
OurayWK
2006 WK 

Hello, yep it sounds like your having the same issue I was having. I was able to get more out of my tech...he gave me the DTC code he pulled from the FDCM: C1438. Apparently this code reference states "transfer case clutch worn" which is the same diagnosis a lot of people get on this forum. My tech did a further pinpoint diagnosis and "found tcase position sensor giving incorrect data, need to replace sensor which is part of shift motor".

I believe the range sensor/ mode sensor/ position sensor are all the same thing. I pretty sure the mode sensor is the part that the wire harness plugs into. You have to replace the whole shift motor to replace the mode sensor. On Rock Auto, it's RETECH Part#UMM1245, $177.89 with a $35 core charge. I also checked the RETECH website and they cover shift motors with a 12mo/12,000 mile warranty which was reassuring. RETECH is a brand by Universal Manufacturing.

All I needed was a socket wrench and a torque wrench - I can't remember what socket size - 10mm I think? Just unbolt and remove the old motor. I used some carb cleaner to clean the mating surface, there was a little dust in there. Then just "add hi-temp grease between the [new] shift motor assembly and the t-case mating surface for seal" - per the service manual. Install the new shift motor by aligning the toothed spline on the shift motor spline. There's only one way it can go on. Add a drop of Loctite 242 to the bolts before re-installing. 242 is the blue medium strength threadlock, also available from Permatech. Torque the bolts to 25-28N-m (18.5-20.5 ft-lbs). I only had an in-lb torque wrench so I made the conversion 234 in-lbs, if I remember right. I was careful to not overtorque the bolts since the t-case housing is aluminum and will strip easily. Plug back in the wire harness and you're done. I shifted into and out of 4low a few times to check that it was working fine. I've had no problems since. Only been 4wheeling once since making the swap, unfortunately. Hopefully I'll get over to Moab soon though, I'm getting spring fever already.

Hope that helps!
Unread 05-30-2013, 02:38 PM   #10
polpilot
2005 WK 

I dont think any of these guys are still active on the fourm anymore, But i think i have the same issue. I cant shift into 4low... I lift the handle and nothing... no "service 4WD system" message and no codes in the ecm.. ideas?
Unread 05-30-2013, 06:16 PM   #11
OurayWK
2006 WK 

I'm not sure, there may not be any codes in the main ECM. A jeep dealer service tech (or maybe any shop with a starscan tool) should be able to pull any codes from the FDCM ( final drive control module). That is where the code maybe stored indicating a faulty shift motor. I would maybe risk just replacing the shift motor if you can get it overseas rather than pay for the diagnostics. If that fixes it you're good.
Unread 05-30-2013, 06:26 PM   #12
WieSeL

Could be the switch itself... If you pulled the handle and it got the signal but no shift then it would probably set a code and warning light.
WieSeL is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-24-2013, 07:34 PM   #13
Asylum1

Took my wifes jeep commander to have a recall on the tranny fixed, now the transfer-case needs a shift motor. Dodge customer service told me that it has 87k miles and they have not had complaints about this. Anyone else have this issue/
Asylum1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-24-2013, 07:46 PM   #14
mahelinski

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asylum1 View Post
Took my wifes jeep commander to have a recall on the tranny fixed, now the transfer-case needs a shift motor. Dodge customer service told me that it has 87k miles and they have not had complaints about this. Anyone else have this issue/
There have been numerous complaints about this going bad after the N23 recall.
mahelinski is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-24-2013, 08:15 PM   #15
lucifers_jeep
2007 XK Commander 

Same problem here. Had the Final Drive Module recall done and now no 4lo. Anyone got a dealership to fix it after the recall?
lucifers_jeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.