Replacing Serpentine Belt on Diesel..Merlin? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > Replacing Serpentine Belt on Diesel..Merlin?

Ring & Pinion's, Lockers, 4340 Axles, Install Kits, BaRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 06-26-2010, 04:06 PM   #1
scootr29
Web Wheeler

2008 WK 

Replacing Serpentine Belt on Diesel..Merlin?

Merlin can you please send me the procedure....

Thanks

scootr29 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-26-2010, 04:48 PM   #2
robpp

presto:

from 07 service manual for a diesel.

DIESEL REMOVAL

CAUTION: Do not let tensioner arm snap back to the freearm position, severe damage may occur to the tensioner.

1. Disconnect negative battery cable.
2. Rotate belt tensioner until it contacts its stop. Remove belt, then slowly rotate the tensioner into the freearm position.

3.0L DIESEL INSTALL

1. Check condition of all pulleys.
CAUTION: When installing the accessory drive belt, the belt MUST be routed correctly. If not, the engine may overheat due to the water pump rotating in the wrong direction.

2. Install new belt. Route the belt around all pulleys except the idler pulley . Rotate the tensioner arm until it contacts its stop position. Route the belt around the idler and slowly let the tensioner rotate into the belt. Make sure the belt is seated onto all pulleys .
Rob 007 Laredo 4.7 FFV 27X; DeBadg'd; Zaino'd; SRT8 Grill, Pedals, Strut; ClearBra; WeatherTech; LED Reverse; HIR Hi/Lo; SS Fog; Stealth Turns; 15% Tint; Stubbie; Rear Spoiler; Magnaflow; V1; 22Elite Console/Visors; Body Kit; Color Match Everything; TintedTails; K&N 63; Front Skid; QuickOilDrainValve; BatteryTender; SuperChips 91; Bilstein; Billet Window Switches; Greasable Addco Sways; RamMedic Hood; Fastman TB; BWoody Links; Kicker Upgrade w/Single Sub; AVIC F90BT Hacked; NeffyWrap ABCD; Putco LEDs; Viper 20s w/255/50; R1 Slot/Dimple w/Hawk Pro Ceramic; Whistler Mod w/FlashTech Halos
robpp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-26-2010, 07:38 PM   #3
scootr29
Web Wheeler

2008 WK 

Awesome...thanks...

Which side of the engine is the belt tensioner on....passenger side?
Unread 06-27-2010, 04:51 PM   #4
merlinTec

Quote:
Originally Posted by scootr29 View Post
Awesome...thanks...

Which side of the engine is the belt tensioner on....passenger side?
In the middle there is a small hole too in the tensioner that you can put a drill bit down to lock it in the off position so you can remove and reinstall the belt without holding the tension off.
Unread 06-28-2010, 12:08 AM   #5
nkwong

is it possible replacing the belt with only removing the engine cover?
nkwong is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-28-2010, 12:09 AM   #6
nkwong

Also the user manual recommendeds a 100,000km replacement, however my belt looks prestine. what's your recommendation?
nkwong is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-28-2010, 06:18 PM   #7
scootr29
Web Wheeler

2008 WK 

Merlin do you have schematic that shows the exact location of the tensioner? The 2008 WK service manual is about as useful as tits on a bull.... I am confused about what I need to put a socket on. Also do I need to remove anything to get to the tensioner...lots of stuff in the way.

Thanks in advance.
Unread 06-29-2010, 01:14 PM   #8
merlinTec

Quote:
Originally Posted by scootr29 View Post
Merlin do you have schematic that shows the exact location of the tensioner? The 2008 WK service manual is about as useful as tits on a bull.... I am confused about what I need to put a socket on. Also do I need to remove anything to get to the tensioner...lots of stuff in the way.

Thanks in advance.
Hi
Come on you know I am better then that lol I got you a picture instead. normal 12 sided socket turn it anti clockwise (sorry counter clockwise to the US) and slide in a pin in the hole to the right of it.
102_3799.jpg  
Unread 06-29-2010, 08:04 PM   #9
scootr29
Web Wheeler

2008 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by merlinTec View Post
Hi
Come on you know I am better then that lol I got you a picture instead. normal 12 sided socket turn it anti clockwise (sorry counter clockwise to the US) and slide in a pin in the hole to the right of it.
Awesome that is exactly what I thought. Just wanted to make sure.

Thanks for the picture.

Unread 11-29-2010, 11:19 AM   #10
Lil'Devil

When should the serpentine belt on the 3.0 diesel be replaced? I just changed the oil/filter at 60,000 km and noticed in my Maintenance Service Manual that I should "Replace the engine accessory drive belt".

I was shocked that it would be so soon but it's listed again at 120,000 km.

When I asked the local dealership they said they don't have it coming up until 160,000 km!

What do I believe?
Lil'Devil is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-29-2010, 11:31 AM   #11
Lil'Devil

My owner's manual states 160,000 km but my Schedule B Maintenance Service Schedule (because I live in Canada) says every 60,000 km. Argh.
Lil'Devil is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-29-2010, 12:37 PM   #12
wookiee
Bought, not built.

2007 WK 

I'll be doing mine at 100,000 miles.

What I'm not looking forward to is replacing all the cooling hoses.
I wonder if the dealer sells entire kits.
I put lifetime hoses on my ex-xj but no one makes 'em for the wk yet.
07 Steel Blue Overland CRD QDII | Bilsteins | 4xguard Matrix | Rear SRT8 SwayBar | DashHawk w/egt | Provent | MBRP XP Exhaust | New Intake Tube & Seal + EHM | Alternator Splash Guard | Crank Sensor | GPS AL InMotion Hack | Swirl motor bypass | Fuelly.com - wookiee | Blue WK Club Member #13 | 100,000 Mile Club | Dogpiled Club | flashpaq 3872 for those no 4-low days |
wookiee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-29-2010, 07:08 PM   #13
BAH101
2008 WK 

You guys read my mind, I was just thinking about replacing mine next week. Is there a picture of the routing available?
Unread 11-30-2010, 12:58 AM   #14
kreso
2010 WK 

You have routing picture available under the hood, in front of the engine.
Unread 01-13-2011, 08:06 PM   #15
Drewd

I'm sorry for all my posts begging for help but this is probably the most difficult vehicle I've worked one.

I finished replacing my alternator and want to replace my serpentine belt because my old one is looking worn.

Does the resonator need to be removed for serpentine belt replacement?????
Drewd is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.