Replacing hub assembly - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > Replacing hub assembly

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 08-12-2013, 10:34 AM   #1
lafacej
2004 WJ 

Replacing hub assembly

Planning on replacing on Wednesday and I think it's pretty straightforward but if anyone has done it and ran into any problems or has any hints or tricks I would appreciate the help.

Thanks!

lafacej is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-12-2013, 12:06 PM   #2
yzjwk
2005 WK 

Is this on your WJ or do you have a WK too .
They are pretty much the same though . remove the tire and caliper , axle nut and 3 nuts on the back holding the hub on (turn the wheel to get at them easier). I believe the only difference is you will have to remove the speed sensor from the hub on the WJ and reconnect it on the replacement and the WK hub should have a new speed sensor mounted to the hub so you just have to disconnect the electrical ( you can remove the old one for a spare though).
You may have to hit the hub pretty good with a hammer or air hammer to get the hub off the knuckle . once it's broken free , the hub should pretty much just slide off .
Good luck
00 WJ 4.0
yzjwk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-12-2013, 12:48 PM   #3
XK1982
2006 XK Commander 

I replaced both of my front hubs with moog when I installed my superlift. Biggest hang-ups I can remember were removing the front rotors and having to slightly modify the plug on the new hubs where it meets the factory wiring. For the front rotors I'd recommend sraying some penetrating oil on the center hub and wheel studs then hit it really hard with a mini sledge to break it free. As far as the plugs go, I had to slightly trim a tab on them so they would plug into the factory (female) end. Had no issues since, been over 2 years now. Good luck!
Unread 08-12-2013, 01:11 PM   #4
lafacej
2004 WJ 

Thanks guys and I actually have a WK now, 2005 Hemi Limited - I just forgot to change it in my info. Thanks though, that's pretty much what I thought and at least I don't have to deal with the speed sensor. I also hit it with penetrating oil yesterday as I don't plan I drive it until after the hub is replaced.
Unread 08-14-2013, 09:49 PM   #5
lafacej
2004 WJ 

So I put the new hub on today and I ended up running into more problems than I anticipated. Once I got the rotor off I found a good bit of oil from the axle. I know it shouldn't be outside of the hub and when I removed the hub I found that the o-ring was broken which was likely causing the leak. I relocated the o-ring from the rotor as I couldn't get another one so I think that should fix the problem.

I also wanted to address e brake concerns I had which was good bc the e brake on that side wasn't engaging and I had to adjust the cable. So I think I fixed all the problems on that side, afraid about whether or not I should check out the other side 😁
Unread 08-16-2013, 08:41 AM   #6
XK1982
2006 XK Commander 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lafacej View Post
So I put the new hub on today and I ended up running into more problems than I anticipated. Once I got the rotor off I found a good bit of oil from the axle. I know it shouldn't be outside of the hub and when I removed the hub I found that the o-ring was broken which was likely causing the leak. I relocated the o-ring from the rotor as I couldn't get another one so I think that should fix the problem.

I also wanted to address e brake concerns I had which was good bc the e brake on that side wasn't engaging and I had to adjust the cable. So I think I fixed all the problems on that side, afraid about whether or not I should check out the other side ��
Ohhhh so you're replacing your REAR unit bearings??? I've never touched those but I do remember seeing some kind of O-Ring in an exploded view of the axle. Hope it works out!

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.