Replacing CRD Fuel Filter step by step - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > Replacing CRD Fuel Filter step by step

Ring & Pinion's, Lockers, 4340 Axles, Install Kits, BaRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 02-25-2014, 10:37 PM   #1
Chirpz

2007 WK 

Replacing CRD Fuel Filter step by step

I replaced my fuel filter for the 2nd time yesterday and decided to post a step by step procedure.

You can view my procedure as a web page here:

http://www.chirpz.com/jeeps/fuelfilter/Fuel_Filter.html

or you can download the PDF file here:

http://www.chirpz.com/jeeps/Fuel_Filter.pdf

EHM MOD, Garmin Mechanic EcoHD, K&N Filter (Deleted)
Chirpz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-26-2014, 09:16 AM   #2
caddydaddy
2007 WK 

Awesome write up as always!

You mention to prime the new filter with fuel from the old filter. My only concern would be possibly contaminating the new filter with any dirt or water that was in the old filter. Thoughts?
caddydaddy is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-26-2014, 10:48 AM   #3
pawwright

kudos to you, again, Chirpz - I always appreciate your write-ups, very easy to read and follow.
pawwright is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-26-2014, 11:15 AM   #4
BAH101
2008 WK 

For the OEM clamps, I found that a small, 1/8" flat screwdriver inserted under the clamp where it overlaps, then give it a twist, will pop the clamp. A pair of bent needle noble pliers installed them.
I just ended up buying the proper pliers, made by Clikx, if not mistaken. They were $25CDN from Mac tools.
Unread 02-26-2014, 11:47 AM   #5
Radcrd
2007 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by caddydaddy View Post
Awesome write up as always!

You mention to prime the new filter with fuel from the old filter. My only concern would be possibly contaminating the new filter with any dirt or water that was in the old filter. Thoughts?
I fill mine with Powerservice or any other diesel additive that I have on hand.
3 VW TDI's (sold)
Radcrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-26-2014, 04:14 PM   #6
Chirpz

2007 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radcrd View Post
I fill mine with Powerservice or any other diesel additive that I have on hand.
Yea! That is better. I mentioned that idea because a person may be caught with nothing else around and it is an option.
Unread 02-26-2014, 04:56 PM   #7
fordt
2008 WK 

What a timely write up, I'm about 1500 away from a combined fuel/oil filter change! Thanks Chirpz! Along these same lines, where's everybody getting these two filters these days.....???? I DID notice the NAPA filter and number in there...that helps! (and I was told napa stood for "no auto parts available")
Unread 02-26-2014, 09:38 PM   #8
Valpacer

2007 WK 

Great writeup!

Only thing i would add is - The bleed valve on the top is also used to prime the filter - after installing the filter, put a long hose on it and into a container. Turn the key to on and the intank pump will start up. Undo the screw housing around the tube and leave it open until clean and bubble free diesel comes out, then turn closed. Engine will start near on first crank.
2007 WH Grand Cherokee CRD (Yup, RHD Australia)- 3" Exhaust, GDE Flash Tune, CRDSTU/SL Hybrid Lift & bash Plates, 4xGuard Rock Rails, Saguaro F & R Bars, RCV's, Warn 9.5cti-s, AEV Saverge Rims, Nitto Mud Grapplers, Snorkel, Custom Rear Drawers, On Board Air, BullyDog Monitor, Dual Batteries - Build Thread - YouTube Vids
Valpacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-27-2014, 11:43 AM   #9
Chirpz

2007 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordt View Post
What a timely write up, I'm about 1500 away from a combined fuel/oil filter change! Thanks Chirpz! Along these same lines, where's everybody getting these two filters these days.....???? I DID notice the NAPA filter and number in there...that helps! (and I was told napa stood for "no auto parts available")
Ha Ha!! I have had no trouble getting stuff at Napa. They had what I needed in stock and we live in a small town. So far I have purchased, fuel filter, oil filter, glow plug, battery, and air filter from them. They also have the serpentine belt but I don't like their belts.
Unread 02-27-2014, 11:44 AM   #10
Chirpz

2007 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valpacer View Post
Great writeup!

Only thing i would add is - The bleed valve on the top is also used to prime the filter - after installing the filter, put a long hose on it and into a container. Turn the key to on and the intank pump will start up. Undo the screw housing around the tube and leave it open until clean and bubble free diesel comes out, then turn closed. Engine will start near on first crank.
Thanks for mentioning this. Very good point. Maybe I'll add it to my write up when I get the chance.
Unread 02-28-2014, 09:20 AM   #11
fordt
2008 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chirpz View Post
Ha Ha!! I have had no trouble getting stuff at Napa. They had what I needed in stock and we live in a small town. So far I have purchased, fuel filter, oil filter, glow plug, battery, and air filter from them. They also have the serpentine belt but I don't like their belts.
Yup, small town, I hear ya (2200-but we've got a NAPA!) in addition to the 3934 fuel, do you use the OEM (Mann) oil or the NAPA Gold brand? Is your K&N the air box replacement cone or standard filter back in the box? Thanks again for the write up, and thanks for your shade tree DPF delete write up, I didn't replace mine with a pipe, just roto hammered the media out, but your picts and tips were great.
Unread 03-01-2014, 07:16 PM   #12
Chirpz

2007 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordt View Post
do you use the OEM (Mann) oil or the NAPA Gold brand? Is your K&N the air box replacement cone or standard filter back in the box?
I use the Napa Gold oil filter... The K&N that I use is the one that fits in the standard airbox replacing the standard paper filter. So far I have cleaned it twice. It is pretty easy to clean and you can get the cleaning kit from Napa.

Before you switch to a K&N, read this report.

http://www.nicoclub.com/archives/kn-vs-oem-filter.html
Unread 04-11-2014, 07:34 AM   #13
jediknight
2008 WK 

...I just reviewed this as I'll be going through this in the next few days. What about the air getting into the fuel hose between the high pressure pump and the fuel filter ? Is there a way to bleed that (that would involve bleeding from the HP pump)... Or is the amount of air is not significant enough to care of ?
Unread 04-11-2014, 10:20 AM   #14
BAH101
2008 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jediknight
...I just reviewed this as I'll be going through this in the next few days. What about the air getting into the fuel hose between the high pressure pump and the fuel filter ? Is there a way to bleed that (that would involve bleeding from the HP pump)... Or is the amount of air is not significant enough to care of ?
Its a self bleeding system.
Unread 04-11-2014, 09:12 PM   #15
TangoTango
2008 WK 

those are not oem hose clamps... for the oem you need the $8 hose clamp tool. just FYI

good write up.
TangoTango is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.