Replacing the crankshaft position sensor on 5.7 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > Replacing the crankshaft position sensor on 5.7

Dana 30/ Dana 44 Chromoly shaft Kits- ECGSFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFlowmaster's Force II Axle-back exhaust system for the 201

Unread 07-05-2009, 11:44 PM   #1
daaaaaan

Replacing the crankshaft position sensor on 5.7

Is the Crankshaft position sensor easy to change on the 5.7? I've searched around and havnt found much talk about it...I looked up the location of it, and it seems like it's pretty hidden behind the motor?

Is it easily accessible from under the hood? or do you have to pull off the wheel well lining and go through the pass. side wheel well?

Anybody?

Unread 07-06-2009, 12:47 PM   #2
homeintheusa
2005 WK 

Thanks to the help I got here I figured out that I needed to replace the crankshaft position sensor. I just finished the job. Not much to it really. I have a 2005 5.7 Hemi. My unit was located on the right rear of the engine block just above the oil pan.

There was nothing to remove. I just put the front end up on my ramps and crawled under the engine on the right side with a trouble light. There is a hole in the frame work and you can look right up there and see the sensor with a green plug hooked to it.

The sensor is held in with one 3/8 or 5/16" headed bolt, remove it then just twist the unit to pull it from the block. After that remove the plug by sliding the white latch part. When putting the new one in be sure not to over tighten the bolt and maybe break it off. I read here some where that someone had done that. I took mine off and reinstalled the new one with a 1/4 rachet. Breaking the bolt would ruin your day if not your week.

This seems to have fixed my problem....and man did it act wierd. Good luck....hope this helps.

Barry
homeintheusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-16-2009, 08:51 PM   #3
icecreamman
2005 WK 

These instructions were very helpful. I'd like to add that I had to restart and run the vehicle a few times before it behaved normally again.
icecreamman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-21-2009, 07:53 PM   #4
1badjk
2005 WK 

How much was the sensor itself....?? Thanks...
Unread 10-15-2009, 05:24 PM   #5
homeintheusa
2005 WK 

Cost

Less than 25 bucks at the Jeep Dealer......

Barry
homeintheusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-30-2012, 06:08 PM   #6
Biggerstaff

2006 jeep commander limited 5.7 hemi

THANK YOU!!!!
Thank you so very much for this thread.
Today my engine light came on with a noticiable relay. On my way up a hill it quickly proceeded to flash, and then the traction control light (slippery road light) came on. With a deep sigh, I thankfully made it back home, and from research over the web, I found a video of how to self check diagnostics by quickly turning the key 3 x's to "on."
Lo and behold it stated the code P0335, which I looked up and found it to be the crankshaft position sensor. I called the 2 Jeep dealerships here in KC and to order the part was $50-$57, and to have them install it would cost an extra $61-$110.
I called the auto parts store, purchased it for $23, and installed it myself. I have never worked on my own car before and this was super rewarding. I did find that oil had spilled onto the sensor and when I removed it, it was saturated on the inside. Coincidentally, issues started arising a month ago after routine maintenance, which included an oil change. Truly I would have paid them the 23 bucks to have as much fun as I did today...minus the moments of trying to stay calm on my drive home with my 3 young barefoot babes inquistively asking about the flashing lights on the dash and hollering for H2O, which I did not have...in 100 degree weather. Woohoo! Exciting day
Thanks again for the helpful advice!!!

Last edited by Biggerstaff; 06-30-2012 at 06:27 PM..
Biggerstaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-06-2014, 10:58 AM   #7
skibum555
2005 WK 

Crossed this bridge today! Just wanted to say this forum has made me stress a little less when issues arise with my two jeeps (WK/XK) I always know what direction to head after a quick search on here!
MEMBER #105
skibum555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-06-2014, 04:51 PM   #8
90grandoneer
2006 WK 

FWIW, I carry a spare crank and cam sensor in each of my Hemi vehicles. Although they don't fail that often, a failure of either one could leave you stranded. As said the crank sensor is relatively easy to change and the cam sensor is even easier. IMO, cheap insurance......about $50 for both.
06 GCO, Dk Khaki, QDII, Flshing Hi 3rd Bk Lt, MDS "ON" Lt, Airtab Vortex Gens, Debadged, Fumoto Drain Valve, BT Catch Can, Chopped EGR Tube, SRT8 CAI, K&N Filter, Sonnax Trans Line Press Booster, SC Tuner W/Adv Trans Tune App, DS Tuner, Cust tubular hdrs w/3 in Magnaflow/Xlerator AP Exh Sys, Bilsteins, SRT Springs/Sways, Cust Eng Cvr, SRT8 frt/rear bumpers, FRI Sidewinder Cam/6.1 valvetrain, SLP 25% UD Pulley, BBK true 90mm T-Body, SOS Ign Coils w/.060 spark plug gaps, SRT Reps with 265/45&295/40X20's.
90grandoneer is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.