Replacement Keyfob - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > Replacement Keyfob

FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Hey Guys - Extreme Terrain Jeep Outfitters - ExtremeTerraiThe Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!

Unread 02-28-2015, 10:10 PM   #1
rivisio
2005 WK 

Replacement Keyfob

I recently lost one of my keys. Wondering where I can buy the 4 button key fob with transponder.
I asked at the dealership they want $240 cad to replace it with coding, I'm hoping to spend about half that.

rivisio is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-28-2015, 11:53 PM   #2
ChanWK
2005 WK 

If you have 2 keys you can program a third by yourself. I'd check ebay for keys.
ChanWK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-01-2015, 08:26 AM   #3
longboy
2006 WK 

I bought extra keys/fobs from ekeylessremotes.com a few years ago. My first one was a fob with the 4 buttons that I had to have programmed/cut at the dealer. The 2nd one (which is now my 3rd key) was a plain key with no buttons but does have the SKIM (?) module in it so I can use it to program future keys on my own.

If you have 2 keys in your possession that will start the Jeep, you can program new keys yourself.

I think I paid about $65 for the keyfob one and $25 at a local dealer for cutting/programming. Call around to different dealers and locksmiths, you will find that some dealerships want to charge a full hour of labor ($100+) for cutting a damned key.
Unread 03-02-2015, 08:43 AM   #4
wave_crusher
2006 WK 

I bought a new key for my wk off ebay for $33 including shipping. The dealer charges $40 to cut and program the key. I just had it done on mine. If you get the key, a good locksmith should be able to cut it for about $10 and if you have two other fobs you can program it yourself. Other wise off to the dealer you go.

The dealer swore up and down that you can't buy them online which was part of why it costs $240 for them to get you a key and program it. A simple check on ebay turned up many new keys w/fobs. All are right around $30, I only had one key which is why I wanted a spare. So, I was forced to take it to the dealership for cut and program.
wave_crusher is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-02-2015, 10:58 AM   #5
SSF556
Web Wheeler

2008 WK 

If you only have one key fob you are out of luck....my suggestions is that once you get 2 working key fobs....go to eBay and buy a 3rd key fob...if you have 3 fobs you will never need the dealer.
Silver WK Club Member #1
2008 CRD QT2
SSF556 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-02-2015, 07:15 PM   #6
rivisio
2005 WK 

I only have one key. Can I buy two off eBay and pay the dealer to program one and me program the other?
rivisio is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-02-2015, 07:29 PM   #7
longboy
2006 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rivisio View Post
I only have one key. Can I buy two off eBay and pay the dealer to program one and me program the other?
Yes. Get the dealer to cut/program your 2nd key. Then take key #3 to your local hardware store to be cut for like $2 and program it yourself.

That's how I ended up with my 3 keys.
Unread 03-02-2015, 07:32 PM   #8
patience
2006 WK 

How do you program it yourself?
patience is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-02-2015, 07:35 PM   #9
TangoTango
2008 WK 

No.

Most dealers will not program a key you bring them. They will usually only program an oem key you purchase from them.

Phone and ask the dealer if they will program an ebay key first.. and if they will not them buy 1 from ebay and the other from the dealer. Some dealers will, but most dealers will not.

To program a key yourself: key on with key #1 (no start just key on) .. wait 5 sec. then key on with key #2 .. wait 5 sec.. then key on with new key and wait and read the consol.
Search and there are some instructions with more detail.
Black WK Club #147

Life is hard. ...- John Wayne
TangoTango is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-02-2015, 07:42 PM   #10
longboy
2006 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TangoTango View Post
No.

Most dealers will not program a key you bring them. They will usually only program an oem key you purchase from them.

Phone and ask the dealer if they will program an ebay key first.. and if they will not them buy 1 from ebay and the other from the dealer. Some dealers will, but most dealers will not.
Definitely worth a phone call first. My 2nd key that I purchased was from ekeylessremotes and the dealership I used had no problems cutting and programming it for me.

IIRC, the key I bought did appear to be OEM and even had a Mopar part number on the box. All I know is it looks identical to the one that came with my Jeep when I bought it and has worked as advertised for the 3 years that I've used it. The best part is it was a good $150 cheaper than what the dealership wanted for it.

Good luck-
Unread 03-04-2015, 07:42 AM   #11
wave_crusher
2006 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TangoTango View Post
No.

To program a key yourself: key on with key #1 (no start just key on) .. wait 5 sec. then key on with key #2 .. wait 5 sec.. then key on with new key and wait and read the consol.
Search and there are some instructions with more detail.
I don't know where you get your information from, but i called the 3 closest dealers around me and all were willing to cut and program a key that I brought them. Didn't even give me the "well, maybe..." speal.

If you're worried about them not doing an ebay key, then don't tell them it's from ebay. Say something like, it's from your brother in law at a different dealer or a friend of a friend got it at cost that works for a dealership.

OP, buy two of these:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Uncut-Re...89e1e7&vxp=mtr

Then call a dealership, and tell them you need a cut and program for a new key, you have the key. The cost should be about $40, plus or minus a few bucks (depending on the dealership). You will have to scheduled an appointment to take your jeep in. An hour or so later, you'll have a new key and $40 gone out of your walled.

Then, take the 2nd key to your local locksmith, have him cut the key (bring ID and jeep title), then you can program it yourself (since you'll have two working key/fobs). $10 or so bucks and 5 minutes later, you have a fresh cut key.

Then boom, now you have 3 working keys with fobs.
wave_crusher is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-04-2015, 09:52 PM   #12
yzjwk
2005 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rivisio View Post
I recently lost one of my keys. Wondering where I can buy the 4 button key fob with transponder.
I asked at the dealership they want $240 cad to replace it with coding, I'm hoping to spend about half that.
You can get a simple (no remote) transponder key from quadratec for $20 (other places as well ) http://www.quadratec.com/products/pr...nder&submit=Go . the dealer and some locksmiths will program that one . now you have 2 working keys and you can program your own so buy and try all the eBay keys you want. The instructions to program are in the owners manual.
2010 MK Patriot
yzjwk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-04-2015, 01:49 PM   #13
waterhammer
2005 WK 

Just to be clear. I have One of these keys, and no fob. In order to get an additional key and/or fob I need the dealership to make one for me so I have two? Then I can make a third? Is that right?
jeep-wk-key.jpg  
2005 silver WK #158
2013 Pierce Velocity (Work Truck)
waterhammer is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-04-2015, 04:06 PM   #14
yzjwk
2005 WK 

Yes . you need 2 - programmed, working keys in order to program your own . key style ( fob / no fob) is irrelevant .
2010 MK Patriot
yzjwk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-04-2015, 06:14 PM   #15
imthehink
2005 WK 

Buy two more keys on ebay and take them to a locksmith or dealer and just have one or both programmed. In my case, the dealer was actually cheaper than the locksmith. I was charged 45 bucks to program both keys and it was that price up to 8. If you have more than one dealer, call around because I was quoted 100 at another dealer.
imthehink is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.