Replace Mygig with aftermarket Android GPS - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 Old 08-13-2014, 08:35 AM Thread Starter
mdshelton123
2010 WK 

Replace Mygig with aftermarket Android GPS

Hi all,
New to this forum and hope someone can help please. I just bought my first Jeep, a 2010 WK (WH in Australia) Jeep Limited with the Mygig REP unit factory installed. I love this car! But I would like to replace the Mygig unit with an Android unit so that I can have Internet access, OBD2 diagnostics and all the other goodies Android has. But I cannot seem to find a unit that ticks all the boxes. Most of them tell me their devices fit my model WITHOUT satnav installed, as the connectors/pinouts are different from the vehicles with a stock radio.
Has anyone here succeeded in installing an aftermarket Android system in my model car? I have attached the photo of my car's dash.
Thanks in advance, Mark
jeepdash.jpg

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 08-14-2014, 08:01 AM
TimM
2007 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdshelton123 View Post
Hi all,
New to this forum and hope someone can help please. I just bought my first Jeep, a 2010 WK (WH in Australia) Jeep Limited with the Mygig REP unit factory installed. I love this car! But I would like to replace the Mygig unit with an Android unit so that I can have Internet access, OBD2 diagnostics and all the other goodies Android has. But I cannot seem to find a unit that ticks all the boxes. Most of them tell me their devices fit my model WITHOUT satnav installed, as the connectors/pinouts are different from the vehicles with a stock radio.
Has anyone here succeeded in installing an aftermarket Android system in my model car? I have attached the photo of my car's dash.
Thanks in advance, Mark
Hi Mark,

Saw your thread without a response and thought I would add a comment even though I don't have a complete answer. To give some context to my comments I should say that I am an Aussie presently doing some extended touring here in the USA. I own a 2007 Grand back in Sydney and just before I left for the US, I had the Jeep factory unit replaced with with an Alpine unit. My dashboard is the earlier one to yours and is slightly different but I think the electronics are similar.

Just wanted to let you know that the Alpine unit works with Android and also with the steering wheel controls and reversing camera. The Kenwood unit should also do the trick. Not sure about the OBD2 stuff. One issue you may face is that the Mygig unit looks to be a different shape to the standard Double DIN setup. Cutting your existing dashboard, I'm assuming, is not an option! You can get the Alpine unit in 7" and 8" sizes and there are also some 9" sizes so you may be able to get one that fits. If I was you I would take the Grand to a reputable audio place and talk it over with them. It will not be cheap but in my opinion you are better paying for a good quality unit and having it professionally installed.

Hope you get some further input from others on this forum. They are a a great source of info. If I can be of further help just let me know. Tim
post #3 of 19 Old 08-14-2014, 08:07 AM
B2LL2F

Another Aussie here, mine is an 07 but my thinking is you can fit whatever stereo you want- 1 din or 2 din , you just need the right connectors (amazon or eBay) and maybe a dash kit to make it fit the odd sizes jeep uses.
post #4 of 19 Old 08-14-2014, 10:55 AM
murderedoutGC
2015 WK 

came across this and thought it may be what you are looking for:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Android-DVD-...ht_4725wt_1145

2016 GC Overland High Altitude White on black
post #5 of 19 Old 08-14-2014, 11:59 AM
modette
2005 WK 

You can always use Crutchfield to find what fits as a resource
http://www.crutchfield.com
post #6 of 19 Old 08-14-2014, 01:52 PM
murderedoutGC
2015 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by modette View Post
You can always use Crutchfield to find what fits as a resource
http://www.crutchfield.com
I usually go there for general stuff but for mods and such cf isn't going to help you much.

post #7 of 19 Old 08-14-2014, 03:19 PM
modette
2005 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by murderedoutGC View Post
I usually go there for general stuff but for mods and such cf isn't going to help you much.
Maybe I missed something what mod?

I saw this " would like to replace the Mygig unit with an Android unit"

Which means just finding a receive that ticks all his boxes or close to it.
post #8 of 19 Old 08-14-2014, 03:34 PM
murderedoutGC
2015 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by modette View Post
Maybe I missed something what mod?

I saw this " would like to replace the Mygig unit with an Android unit"

Which means just finding a receive that ticks all his boxes or close to it.
it was just a general statement.

post #9 of 19 Old 04-12-2015, 04:53 PM
WH-HEMI

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdshelton123 View Post
Hi all,
Thanks in advance, Mark
Attachment 1540290
How did you go with this unit mate?

I have an 05 Grand and the large bezel, was thinking to get the Android based unit off eBay (http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Android-C...item4d279ec0ef) but the size of the unit (205.5Wx94.5H in mm) and the new bezel in my Jeep are different sizes. The bezel has a frame in it also, which measures 211Wx131H. Without the frame it's 188Wx107H.

Also, the 05-06 have the older canbus.

Has anyone successfully installed one of these without gaps?

Can someone please give me the measurements of the opening from an 08-10 model in milimetres?? Thank you.

2005 WH Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.7 HEMI
post #10 of 19 Old 01-14-2016, 12:37 PM
JeeperBY
2008 WK 

Hello everyone. I have Jeep Grand Cherokee WH 3.0CRD Overland with a factory installed amplifier and Mygig REZ(faulty) entertainment center. I'm looking for an android based entertainment center with support of steering wheel control, rear view camera and factory installed amplifier. Has anyone solved this problem on ebay or aliexpress?
post #11 of 19 Old 01-15-2016, 10:32 PM
atarijedi
2008 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeeperBY View Post
Hello everyone. I have Jeep Grand Cherokee WH 3.0CRD Overland with a factory installed amplifier and Mygig REZ(faulty) entertainment center. I'm looking for an android based entertainment center with support of steering wheel control, rear view camera and factory installed amplifier. Has anyone solved this problem on ebay or aliexpress?
The Eonon GA5177F should work.
post #12 of 19 Old 01-17-2016, 10:26 AM
JeeperBY
2008 WK 

Are you sure?
EVIC language does not change from English to Hungarian on WH 2008 with Boston premium audio?

Last edited by JeeperBY; 01-17-2016 at 10:36 AM.
post #13 of 19 Old 01-17-2016, 11:33 AM
scootter82
2009 WK 

If you're handy, look into installing a Nexus 7 2013. They fit in most all double din units. You can get a joycon for the steering wheel controls. I'll be doing this soon to my car to replace the horrible factory gps. No more paying for updated maps!

OME HD, JBA UCA, Rear Adj TB, Catch Can, K&N CAI, Gibson CB, MM TB, Flaspaq, Full LED swap
post #14 of 19 Old 01-17-2016, 11:59 AM
JeeperBY
2008 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by scootter82 View Post
If you're handy, look into installing a Nexus 7 2013. They fit in most all double din units. You can get a joycon for the steering wheel controls. I'll be doing this soon to my car to replace the horrible factory gps. No more paying for updated maps!
I almost agree with you! But I want to listen music through the good acoustics.
post #15 of 19 Old 01-17-2016, 06:03 PM
scootter82
2009 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeeperBY View Post
I almost agree with you! But I want to listen music through the good acoustics.
There is a USB audio adapter called a dac that connects to the tablet. It produces better audio than the headphones. Then that connects to a tiny clarion equalizer. So then you just connect the jeeps audio wireing harness to the equalizer.

OME HD, JBA UCA, Rear Adj TB, Catch Can, K&N CAI, Gibson CB, MM TB, Flaspaq, Full LED swap

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.