Removing Roof Cross Bars - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > Removing Roof Cross Bars

CurrieSavvy Billet LED Tail LightsStainless Steel Door Hinge Pins

Unread 10-27-2007, 05:12 PM   #1
sost1sg
2012 JK Wrangler 

Removing Roof Cross Bars

I have a 2007 Grand Cherokee that came with factory installed cross bars. I recently purchased a Yakima Low Rider system with Yakima Cross Bars. I want to remove the factory cross bars, but cannot get them off. I've loosened the wheel on each side only to find them still firmly attached. Anyone know how?

sost1sg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-27-2007, 05:53 PM   #2
T-Rated

You have to pull the little hollow pins that go in the end pieces. They're pounded in during installation.

Jeep: 2006 Midnight Blue Grand Cherokee Limited 4.7L Bells Whistles
Mods: Tow Hooks Mopar & 4xGuard Skid Plates & Rock Rails Flowmaster 70 255/65R17 REVO's
T-Rated is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-27-2007, 05:58 PM   #3
sost1sg
2012 JK Wrangler 

I know what you're talking about, but I can't get at them. They're too far into the housing. I guess the factory pounder was a little heavy handed on my model.
Unread 10-27-2007, 07:10 PM   #4
PolarisCobra

Pop the plastic caps off the front of the side rails. There are two torx screws unerneath. Remove them, pop the rails up, and you can remove the crossbars. Then replace the screws, and pop the caps back on.

Did mind today...
Unread 10-28-2007, 11:01 AM   #5
sost1sg
2012 JK Wrangler 

Thanks PolarisCobra -- That worked perfectly. Got them off this morning.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.