Removing Resonator - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > Removing Resonator

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsDisc Brake Kits from ECGS

Unread 08-17-2013, 01:27 PM   #1
hxdrummerxc
2008 WK 

Removing Resonator

So long story short, I want to remove my resonator.
I can't afford a catback system right now, and I have seen videos of the resonator removed and a flowmaster super 40 installed and it sounds great.

So yesterday I went on the hunt for some straight pipe to remove the reso. You can forget most auto stores (auto zone, oreilys etc). They only sell small pipes 12-18 inches, and because of how big the resonator is on this 5.7l, I need like over 3 feet of pipe.

So I checked a couple muffler shops. Some wont sell over counter at all, only installs. And one told me they would only sell 10ft at a time for $55. Finally I called NAPA auto parts and they only sell 10ft sections too, but they only charged $44. But NOBODY sold stainless steel at all.

Also I drove all the way to NAPA, only for the guy to ask me if it was 3 inch outer diameter or 3 inch inner diameter. I don't know, all I know is its 3 inch pipe. So I drove home and wasted my time. Now im gonna get the calipers out and measure if its 3 inch outer or inner.

Has anyone else done a reso delete? Were you able to find stainless pipe?

08' Limited 5.7L QTII | Hemi Club #76 | Saguaro Front Shackles | Blacked out front grille, Blacked out stock chrome wheels | Bwoody 4" Short Ram Velocity Intake | Flowmaster Super 44 & resonator delete | Superchips Vivid |
hxdrummerxc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-18-2013, 04:44 PM   #2
skibum555
2005 WK 

Do you want to remove the resonator or the muffler? The muffler is the bigger one under the middle of the car, if you remove the resonator its the little one towards the rear, I think you can just cut off the resonator at the weld and be good. Costs you free fifty. Lol.
MEMBER #105
skibum555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-18-2013, 05:58 PM   #3
hxdrummerxc
2008 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by skibum555 View Post
Do you want to remove the resonator or the muffler? The muffler is the bigger one under the middle of the car, if you remove the resonator its the little one towards the rear, I think you can just cut off the resonator at the weld and be good. Costs you free fifty. Lol.
Really!?!

I thought the resonator was the huge one in the middle. That is why I thought I needed so much pipe. I figured the muffler was the one right by the back. I would have screwed everything up.

Well there is a hole in my muffler then. I knew I had an exhaust leak, I went under and found a small hole in that big one that I thought was the reso. It might be a puncture hole from when I bottomed out trying to keep up with my brother's JK offroad.

Either way I want to replace the muffler with a flowmaster super 44, and remove the reso.
08' Limited 5.7L QTII | Hemi Club #76 | Saguaro Front Shackles | Blacked out front grille, Blacked out stock chrome wheels | Bwoody 4" Short Ram Velocity Intake | Flowmaster Super 44 & resonator delete | Superchips Vivid |
Unread 08-18-2013, 06:08 PM   #4
Anon155
2005 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by hxdrummerxc View Post
Really!?!

I thought the resonator was the huge one in the middle. That is why I thought I needed so much pipe. I figured the muffler was the one right by the back. I would have screwed everything up.

Well there is a hole in my muffler then. I knew I had an exhaust leak, I went under and found a small hole in that big one that I thought was the reso. It might be a puncture hole from when I bottomed out trying to keep up with my brother's JK offroad.

Either way I want to replace the muffler with a flowmaster super 44, and remove the reso.
I have that exact setup on my Jeep. But be careful, with the reso removed the super 44 has pretty bad drone between the 2K-2.5K range. It also can get pretty bad with the MDS kicking on and off with high traffic driving. I'm used to it since my old dodge ram had a true dual 3" exhaust with 2 flowmaster 40's. But a lot of people do complain about it for every day driving. Just an FYI
05 Jeep Grand Cherokee: ORT 4X4; Khaki #55
Too many mod's to list...
Anon155 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-19-2013, 03:58 PM   #5
skibum555
2005 WK 

anyone deleted just the resonator and kept the stock muffler? i dont mind some drone but there is a limit.
Unread 08-19-2013, 04:39 PM   #6
Anon155
2005 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by skibum555 View Post
anyone deleted just the resonator and kept the stock muffler? i dont mind some drone but there is a limit.
Deleting the reso and keeping the stock muffler wouldn't do ya much good I'm afraid.....The stock muffler is very restrictive on air flow. It's like a choke collar for most vehicles. The whole point is to help reduce noise and pass certain states emissions tests. By removing the stock resonator, sure it will be a bit louder, but you still are keeping the choke hold on your engine. I would look into a magnaflow 22"-30" round muffler and keeping your stock resonator on. The magnaflow wouldn't give you the drone like the flowmaster would. Plus its made of stainless so it will last longer than the pipes its welded to. It would be a simple swap for most exhaust shops to do.
Unread 08-19-2013, 04:56 PM   #7
modernblueWK

I replaced the muffler with a magnaflow straight through design 7" round muffler. 13742

I left the resonator on. It drones on long climbs in 3-4th gear in the mountains. Removing the resonator would make it worse i think.
Blue WK club #4
modernblueWK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-19-2013, 05:11 PM   #8
skibum555
2005 WK 

Thanks guys I'm gonna go with the muffler swap and keep the reso. More money than just hacking off the stock reso. But well worth it I bet. Nooowwww , anyone know where to find a good used tuner ?
MEMBER #105
Unread 08-19-2013, 05:44 PM   #9
Anon155
2005 WK 

Check the classifieds section. You can usually find a Superchips flashpaq for around 2-250. They sell for about 3-330 new.
Unread 08-19-2013, 05:57 PM   #10
hxdrummerxc
2008 WK 

I still think im gonna go with the super 40 or super 44 and remove my reso.
I know there will be some drone, but I love it. I love that you can hear a car. I don't think it would bother me personally. Plus I usually have the radio cranked on highway drives.

The super 40 is a little less aggressive and is suppose to have less drone than the super 44. So im not sure if I should stick with the 44 or tone it down a little to the 40, since I will be removing the reso.

Did you take your stuff to a shop and have it all welded? I feel like clamping would be a pain in the *** and also not last long. But I fear a muffler shop will charge me an arm and a leg just to weld the parts that I already have. Its kind of funny, because I work for a welding supply company, and I know nothing about welding really. Just the gas types. I just fill the gases and load trucks lol. You would think that I would have access to a few people that weld, but not really.
Unread 08-19-2013, 07:36 PM   #11
Anon155
2005 WK 

Quote:
I still think im gonna go with the super 40 or super 44 and remove my reso.
I know there will be some drone, but I love it. I love that you can hear a car. I don't think it would bother me personally. Plus I usually have the radio cranked on highway drives.

The super 40 is a little less aggressive and is suppose to have less drone than the super 44. So im not sure if I should stick with the 44 or tone it down a little to the 40, since I will be removing the reso.

Did you take your stuff to a shop and have it all welded? I feel like clamping would be a pain in the *** and also not last long. But I fear a muffler shop will charge me an arm and a leg just to weld the parts that I already have. Its kind of funny, because I work for a welding supply company, and I know nothing about welding really. Just the gas types. I just fill the gases and load trucks lol. You would think that I would have access to a few people that weld, but not really.
I love the more aggressive sound of the super 44. I loved the 40's on my dodge ram, but I had a full 3" stainless true dual x-piped exhaust with custom long tube headers made especially for it. That was a whole different animal! . I would say stick with the super 44 if you don't care about the drone. I get a lot of compliments on mine.

The shop shouldn't charge you very much to weld it all up. Go to a small shop, they'll usually work with you on price. You'll only be charged for labor and new piping from the muffler on back. My guess on cost would be 30-50 bucks for that. When I had my exhaust done, it cost me only 120 and that included the muffler and stainless 4" tip. You won't need stainless tubing, the flowmaster mufflers aren't stainless anyway. So that will save you some cash as well.
Unread 08-21-2013, 04:02 AM   #12
hxdrummerxc
2008 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anon155 View Post
I love the more aggressive sound of the super 44. I loved the 40's on my dodge ram, but I had a full 3" stainless true dual x-piped exhaust with custom long tube headers made especially for it. That was a whole different animal! . I would say stick with the super 44 if you don't care about the drone. I get a lot of compliments on mine.

The shop shouldn't charge you very much to weld it all up. Go to a small shop, they'll usually work with you on price. You'll only be charged for labor and new piping from the muffler on back. My guess on cost would be 30-50 bucks for that. When I had my exhaust done, it cost me only 120 and that included the muffler and stainless 4" tip. You won't need stainless tubing, the flowmaster mufflers aren't stainless anyway. So that will save you some cash as well.
Ok, super 44 it is!
well I finally got a small bonus from work. Time to finally drop some money on my car. Gonna order the muffler tomorrow, and maybe a tip. Then possibly intake, and tuner. We shall see.

Now im a little confused what to go with. Its 3in diameter right?
Now is that Center/center, OC/C (offcenter-center), or OC/OC (offcenter-offcenter)?

Also you paid the shop for everything? Muffler/tip and labor included for $120? Im thinking about buying the muffler and tip and then leaving the extra piping and welding up to the shop. BUT, I really hope they don't give me a hard time about not buying the parts from them, do these places install exhausts if you DIDN'T buy it from them?
Unread 08-21-2013, 06:52 AM   #13
skibum555
2005 WK 

I would ask the shop of your choice to give you a ballpark price and they can get close on price for parts , some shops don't like people bringing in parts. But they will moat likely take whatever money you want to spent with them...:$
MEMBER #105
Unread 08-21-2013, 10:36 AM   #14
Anon155
2005 WK 

Quote:
Ok, super 44 it is!
well I finally got a small bonus from work. Time to finally drop some money on my car. Gonna order the muffler tomorrow, and maybe a tip. Then possibly intake, and tuner. We shall see.

Now im a little confused what to go with. Its 3in diameter right?
Now is that Center/center, OC/C (offcenter-center), or OC/OC (offcenter-offcenter)?

Also you paid the shop for everything? Muffler/tip and labor included for $120? Im thinking about buying the muffler and tip and then leaving the extra piping and welding up to the shop. BUT, I really hope they don't give me a hard time about not buying the parts from them, do these places install exhausts if you DIDN'T buy it from them?
It's always been taboo to bring parts from an outside source (online, etc) and have them do just the labor on it. Most smaller shops will work on prices the best they can to help match them. But at the end of the day, they still have to make a living, and usually can't compete with the online stores prices. 99% of the exhaust shops I know will work for just labor costs. Which is fine, but I would definitely call or walk into the shops around town and see what they can do for ya. It NEVER hurts to ask, and you may get a better price than what it would have been for online parts + labor.

The factory piping if I remember right is actually 2.5". I went with the off-center to center muffler. I had all the piping from the flange joint back redone. I went with all new 3". I paid for everything at the shop. He's a small town local guy and has always done good work for me. He even showed me how everything looked before he welded it up. Make sure you have them keep everything as high as possible if you wheel your jeep. I'd even look into notching your rear bumper with a dremmel to have a more finished look with the tail pipe. The muffler was 70 bucks, and the tail pipe was 15-20 bucks, and the new piping and his labor was 30. I got a hell of a deal I know, but I had brought him lots of business over the years.

Here's a pic:
photo-3.jpg
Unread 08-24-2013, 01:03 PM   #15
hxdrummerxc
2008 WK 

Well, I had mine installed today. Cost me a little more $200 total.
I personally love the sound. Its not too loud at all to me.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.