Removing plastic covers from 18" x 7.5" Aluminum Chrome Clad Wheels - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > Removing plastic covers from 18" x 7.5" Aluminum Chrome Clad Wheels

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineGrizzly Lockers available at Rockridge4wd.comThe ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! Brough

Unread 03-28-2011, 10:12 AM   #31
BlueSteelJP
2005 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasMas View Post
I have these wheels and they are an embarrassment.
I have a huge scratch on one of mine.
If it was real chrome there would have been little damage.

No wonder Chrysler is in the crapper.

Any tips on repairing the scratch?

Kevin
Mine is a 2005 and they still look fantastic. Here in New England-real chrome is a pita to take care of cause they constantly need cleaning and protection otherwise the road salt destroys them. Chrome clad wheels are easier and more resiliant-I will never buy another chrome wheel again.

Blue WK Club Member #10

2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited, 5.7 Liter Hemi no Mods So Far.
BlueSteelJP is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-28-2011, 10:35 AM   #32
CoreyZ
2012 JK Wrangler 

If you get scratches... bondo and paint em. Its hella easy to make these look any way you want. Including chrome again if you so desire!
Colorado Jeep Club member #217
CoreyZ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-28-2011, 03:52 PM   #33
Marcus86GLHS

"......Here in New England-real chrome is a pita to take care of cause they constantly need cleaning and protection otherwise the road salt destroys them........"

+1 to that. the plastic chrome clad wheel covers definately have certain advantages.

2002 Wrangler Sahara, black, 4.0L, 5-speed, Dana 44 rear axle with Trac Loc LSD, duel tan tops, Canyon wheels with Wrangler Silent Armors. 75,000 miles, 2nd owner.
Marcus86GLHS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-28-2011, 05:05 PM   #34
BAD68GTO
2006 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherrybomb05 View Post
Too bad you're not closer gary, did you ever wheel with that set of wheels/tires?
I wheeled 1 day with them when the Jeep was stock, trust me, they look EXCELLENT. I can even ship them if you have a Fedex or UPS account, hell I think $1500 would ship them, but not 100% sure. I bought my black Viper from Woodhouse in Blair, Nebraska right over the phone and they shipped it here-terrific folks!
2005 Viper, Vert, DLM SE #27/50, Paxton (w/intercooler) 946 RWHP
2000 Viper GTS, 10 LB Roe+GG heads/intake+Solid Roller, near 800 RWHP on pump gas+WM
1968 GTO 467 CID Fully Ported, Roller, 5-speed
2000 E350 Van with a ZILLION miles
2009 Votes thanks to ACORN
If a conservative is down-and-out, they think about how to better their situation.
A liberal wonders who is going to take care of them.
BAD68GTO is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-28-2011, 05:24 PM   #35
mailforjon
2005 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus86GLHS View Post
"......Here in New England-real chrome is a pita to take care of cause they constantly need cleaning and protection otherwise the road salt destroys them........"

+1 to that. the plastic chrome clad wheel covers definately have certain advantages.
+2. i've been through a few boston winters now and the chrome clad wheels still look new when i clean them. cant say the same for my neighbors aftermarket chrome wheels.

-2005 WK 5.7 Limited [DD]
-1999 WJ 4.7 Limited [SOLD]
-1998 ZJ 5.9 Limited [SOLD]
-1996 ZJ 5.2 Laredo [SOLD]
-1994 ZJ 4.0 Laredo [SOLD]
-1993 XJ 2.5 [SOLD]
mailforjon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-28-2011, 06:58 PM   #36
HurriJeff
2013 WK 

I have inspected mine pretty closely and I couldn't find any tabs holding the plastic to the alum wheel, on the contrary I can clearly see what looks like polyurethane foam all around the alum, between the plastic when I look at the wheel when its off. Pretty sure the factory wheels on my 05' are glued on with some kind of glue. I would love to see Jeepers photos of that whole process.
HEMI CLUB MEMBER #10
Previous Jeeps:
1998 ZJ Special Edition 2wd- Traded
1991 XJ 2.8 2wd Sold
HurriJeff is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-19-2012, 09:25 PM   #37
donDavide
2007 WK 

I would like to ditch my 17" chrome clads, I just want black. I was trying to figure out if it came off so I caould paint them. I also just put new tires on 9 months ago so I do not know what to do.
donDavide is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-19-2012, 09:27 PM   #38
donDavide
2007 WK 

And I have a co-worker call the cheap and cheesy, made fun of the wheels, I told hin there stock, not some Manny Moe and Jack specials
donDavide is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-20-2012, 11:12 AM   #39
okcmedic
2006 WK 

I'm going to try plastidip on mine.
okcmedic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-20-2012, 07:05 PM   #40
Zlartibartfast
2007 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by okcmedic View Post
I'm going to try plastidip on mine.
How'd that come out? I was thinking about the same thing...
Zlartibartfast is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-19-2013, 09:35 PM   #41
micajustin
1970 CJ5 

Chrome clad rims should all be recalled. Mine have the "cheap aluminum foil" that covers the "plastic (ffs)" peeling off. I have 35k miles on them. I will never let anyone I know buy a vehicle with plastic wheel covers unless I hate them. I replaced them with Rubicon rims.
micajustin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.