Removing plastic covers from 18" x 7.5" Aluminum Chrome Clad Wheels - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > Removing plastic covers from 18" x 7.5" Aluminum Chrome Clad Wheels

Smittybilt Hard Tops @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955XHD Heavy-Duty Hood Latches for JK and TJ available at OcoFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options!

Unread 01-27-2009, 08:46 AM   #16
Jeep Brian

PLus the chrome is stronger and easier to apply to plastic.

Hers: 14 Dodge Durango Citadel Hemi

68 Firebird 350 4 spd #'s matching
Jeep Brian is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-27-2009, 02:51 PM   #17
Marcus86GLHS

and mopar is using this manufacturing method on practically all their chrome-style wheels on all Chrysler/Dodge models, not just the Jeep brand. i prefer these to real chrome-over-steel alloy, and much better than polished/clear coated aluminum.

2002 Wrangler Sahara, black, 4.0L, 5-speed, Dana 44 rear axle with Trac Loc LSD, duel tan tops, Canyon wheels with Wrangler Silent Armors. 75,000 miles, 2nd owner.
Marcus86GLHS is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-27-2009, 03:47 PM   #18
GasMas
2008 WK 

They may be easy to make and easy to clean
but they still scream cheesy.

Kudos to Chrysler on the matching full size spare.

What do I have to do to get the spare tire pressure monitor to work?
or will it just magically take care of itself?

Once I get to 25 posts, I'll be putting up a bunch of pics,
cheesy wheel scratches included.

Kevin
GasMas is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-23-2009, 10:54 AM   #19
sdrouins

I want your wheels

Hi guys, If you dont like your 18" x 7.5" Aluminum Chrome Clad Wheels, I would like to buy it!

let me know if you're interested!
sdrouins is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-23-2009, 11:20 AM   #20
suzieque
2008 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by usernametaken View Post
I almost didn't buy ours when I got to the dealer and saw the chrome cladding... aka cheapo plastic junk.
Yup, the Overland had these wheels, I walked away when I saw these! I actually came back the next day and knelt down to see that the wheel is aluminum and not steel! I just assumed the Overland had plastic chrome hubcaps!
suzieque is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-24-2009, 06:50 AM   #21
Jeep Brian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasMas View Post

What do I have to do to get the spare tire pressure monitor to work?
or will it just magically take care of itself?

Kevin
You have to do nothing...if the spare is low it will show on the dash!

Hers: 14 Dodge Durango Citadel Hemi

68 Firebird 350 4 spd #'s matching
Jeep Brian is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-23-2011, 05:57 PM   #22
jeeperss

answer to chrome clad wheels jeep GC 2005/06/07

there is speculation as to chrome clad fury,bonding,rattling,plastics,reving repairing[pulling your hair out,lol
lets start with basics facts from begining,[not to not bore others who have their own 'fix',
First,there is an actual dull-[like flat primer paint] spoke wheel that the tire is mounted on,it even has a JEEP logo in center,but the clad hubcap doesnt,I'll get to that later.....[,yes I took mine off with NO tools-off or on] DONT DO THIS IN FREEZING TEMPS-will only result in breaking them!
Second,the lugnuts do NOT hold the hucap on-not-not
Third,they are/not bonded[silicone maybe?] and CAN be removedps,if they ever were 'bonded' they wouldnt be clacking,you know that noise!
Fourth,there are plastic 'tabs or 'lip''made into the hubcap,on each side of the of the 'spoke part' of the CAP about halfway up on the BACKside it 'snaps' over the metal spoke of the actual WHEEL..envision a plastic box that the lid lip snaps closed to the bottom half,as it is molded that way--same here,anyway,that your hands one on each side of any given spoke,GENTLY pull outward on these two tabs/lip edges an slightly towards you,not to far-just till you will feel it move/release,too hard and you will break the tabs off,go all around the wheel cap ONE by ONE repeating this,if you did this correctly when you get the last spoke the hubcap will drop off in your hands,hurray!
,now the style of cap design varies,so this info relates to most jeep models 05-06-07,][mine is 2007 GC laredo]
Fifth,you have it off-now what?If you like what you see,and some will,your done.,but before you toss it,turn it over and read the lettering on backside molded into it MADE IN TAIWAN-1MP-314X 17 thats right!@#$thats not an OEM part number
You CANT buy factory replacements[without buying a complete new wheel=345.00]because there not 'factory made',jeep cannot supply them individually, ,and they clack because the tab lips are broken from tire work or the bonding has worn down,ugh!
But today I replaced all 4 of mine,20 minutes/less,and they ROCK like brand new!And guess what-they are IDENTICAL to the factory covers,tab'lips,right down to the letters-literally!When you replace them-aagain-GENTLY pushing each spoke down evenly-one-by-one then once more around and you will hear and feel the lip/tabs snap into place-and no more noise!!
ps>NO I dont sell these or have any part/input whatsoever-Im just a 2 jeep owner/mechanic/perfectionista
They are called chrome clad SKINS,I researched and found 1000s of them online,I personally chose hubcapsplus.com 79.99 for set{4} includes shipping ,
PLEASE NOTE ,I bought mine from their ebay store for 52.72 set{4}free ship eBay Stores > THAT HUBCAP AND WHEEL COVER PLACE here the auction number 360308320136
I too been search,reading,even here for an answer,and I found mine,I hope this helps someone else have a quiet ride:0)
jeeperss is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-26-2011, 07:10 PM   #23
jas32

All manufacturers (not just Chrysler) have converted over to (plastic) chrome clad wheels specifically because of warranty issues and a lot of customer complaints. For a few years manufacturers actually used real chrome plating directly on the aluminum wheel. This typically lasted only a few years depending on where you lived. In the North where road crews use salt during the winter, it takes only a year or two before the chrome starts flaking off and/or corrosion starts. Eventually irregardless on where you live and how religiously you care for your wheels, the flaking and corrosion will happen, ending up with crappy looking wheels.

For some reason, chrome wheels are quite popular particularly on high end models and is a good money maker for the manufacturers. No amount of clearcoat protection can prevent the flaking and corrosion from happening and the only solution is to the problem is to use plastic. In reality, in most cases, if you do not tap the wheel, you can never tell if it is plastic or metal.

The plastic piece is actually bonded in certain areas to the aluminum part of the wheel (I guess to make sure it does not separate). It is not designed to be taken apart.
jas32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-27-2011, 03:06 AM   #24
Marcus86GLHS

JEEPERSS that is a very interesting write up, i wish you included pix. what year and style wheel are you refering to? i checked the chrome-clad wheels on my 2008 and i cannot see the tabs you refer to, maybe they are there but i cannot locate any.

2002 Wrangler Sahara, black, 4.0L, 5-speed, Dana 44 rear axle with Trac Loc LSD, duel tan tops, Canyon wheels with Wrangler Silent Armors. 75,000 miles, 2nd owner.
Unread 03-27-2011, 10:31 AM   #25
Marcus86GLHS

"......it even has a JEEP logo in center,but the clad hubcap doesnt,......."

i have a 2008 and the chrome clad "hubcap" does have the "Jeep" name on the centers. i also re-checked and confirmed there are no tabs that hold the cover to the wheel, it has to be bonded to the wheel as previously mentioned.

Unread 03-27-2011, 10:52 AM   #26
Budasac
2005 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus86GLHS View Post
JEEPERSS that is a very interesting write up, i wish you included pix. what year and style wheel are you refering to? i checked the chrome-clad wheels on my 2008 and i cannot see the tabs you refer to, maybe they are there but i cannot locate any.
Jeeperrss is refering to aftermarket "skins". They are not the same as what you guys are discussing. And they suck. They loosen up and they ruin the paint on your wheels after a while.
If you have the chrome clad and don't like them, I would suggest a CL listing for a trade. Lot's of guys out there would love to "upgrade" to the chrome wheels.
skins.jpg  
Budasac is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-27-2011, 11:26 AM   #27
Marcus86GLHS

"......Jeeperrss is refering to aftermarket "skins................"

that makes sense, thanx. is the pix above aftermarket?

Unread 03-27-2011, 11:29 AM   #28
Budasac
2005 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus86GLHS View Post
"......Jeeperrss is refering to aftermarket "skins................"

that makes sense, thanx. is the pix above aftermarket?
Yes. That is a "skin". They look all right. But like I said, they ruin you're wheels. They wear small grooves into the paint on each side of the spokes. If your wheels are shot and you want a cheap fix, this is the way to go. I ended up painting my rims.
Budasac is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-27-2011, 06:35 PM   #29
BAD68GTO
2006 WK 

Buy my 06 WK Limited 17" rims and tires for $500 cash, rims are very nice and tires are okay. The TPS are removed. Southern NJ near Philly and I will not seperate them. PM me if interested and they are straight and I will not take less $ fellow Jeepers as $500 is a very good deal. I had the crome clad wheels on my 08 and they were HORRIBLE even falling off from wheeling.
06-wk-stock-rims.jpg  
2005 Viper, Vert, DLM SE #27/50, Paxton (w/intercooler) 946 RWHP
2000 Viper GTS, 10 LB Roe+GG heads/intake+Solid Roller, near 800 RWHP on pump gas+WM
1968 GTO 467 CID Fully Ported, Roller, 5-speed
2000 E350 Van with a ZILLION miles
2009 Votes thanks to ACORN
If a conservative is down-and-out, they think about how to better their situation.
A liberal wonders who is going to take care of them.
BAD68GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-27-2011, 07:12 PM   #30
cherrybomb05
2010 JK Wrangler 

Too bad you're not closer gary, did you ever wheel with that set of wheels/tires?
cherrybomb05 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.