Removing Plastic Chrome Covers on 17" Limited Wheels - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > Removing Plastic Chrome Covers on 17" Limited Wheels

50 in light bar /A pillar mount less than 500 at JeepHut.cFS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectThanksgiving holiday sale in effect @ oconeeoffroad.com

Unread 07-24-2013, 10:13 PM   #1
tnadanzig

2007 WK 

Removing Plastic Chrome Covers on 17" Limited Wheels

I am not a huge fan of plastic chrome so I have been trying to slowly remove it from my Jeep. I have only seen one picture of a plastic chrome wheel cover removed from the wheel. I needed some new tires so I figured this was a good time to see how a stock chrome covered wheel will look without it. I did this awhile ago just haven't had much time to get the pics posted.
Test Wheel to figure out how to get this cover off.

Tools I used to get the covers off. I pounded them off from the back side hitting only the plastic.

What the front of the wheel looked like with the cover off.

Chrome Cover Removed

Wheel cleaned up. I used some catridge abrasives and abrasive wheels to remove all the foam adhesives.

Painted Machine Grey. Not a huge fan of the color so figuring to go black.

Done and painted black.

One issue with this setup is there is no way to have a center cap on the wheel unless it is custom. One gain was the overall weight dropped about 2 lbs per wheel once the cover and extra adhesive is removed.

2007 3.0L CRD WK LTD - Stage 2 Custom Spooling Tune, Go Fast Parts
Pro-lite Build
2003 F250 6.0L CCLB - Gearhead Tunes
tnadanzig is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-26-2013, 07:22 AM   #2
zc911

cool, i think i'll be doing the same, i HATE all the chrome on my overland (at least you dont have a chrome roof rack, and chrome door moulding)! When i went to see it before buying it i was very suprised that the chrome wheels where essentially hub cabs lol
zc911 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-26-2013, 11:45 AM   #3
torqrise
2007 WK 

Those wheels are what I had originally. When I bought this Jeep new, I had the sales manager swap the wheels off his then new Commander (with my new tires transferred of course). There was no way I was going to drive home with those plastic covered wheels. They bring back memories of mid-eighties Fords that used similar 'polycast' wheels.
sunnyday.jpg  
torqrise is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-26-2013, 04:33 PM   #4
Omelet
Evil Overlord!

2005 WK 

Looks good! I had the same wheels on my Limited when I bought it. Luckily I was about to sell them for $450 and buy a full set of 17" JK Moabs and tires for $300 I personally like some chrome, but those wheels were a bit much.

HEMI Club Member #31 - - - JEEP Makes It, HEMI Shakes It!!!
Omelet is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-27-2013, 10:59 PM   #5
deweezy
2005 WK 

They look like the Laredo wheels
deweezy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-28-2013, 01:11 PM   #6
tnadanzig

2007 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by torqrise View Post
Those wheels are what I had originally. When I bought this Jeep new, I had the sales manager swap the wheels off his then new Commander (with my new tires transferred of course). There was no way I was going to drive home with those plastic covered wheels. They bring back memories of mid-eighties Fords that used similar 'polycast' wheels.
Ya, that would be nice. I didn't quite realize when I bought it that they were that cheesy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omelet View Post
Looks good! I had the same wheels on my Limited when I bought it. Luckily I was about to sell them for $450 and buy a full set of 17" JK Moabs and tires for $300 I personally like some chrome, but those wheels were a bit much.
Thanks, I wish I could of sold mine. Its crazy how much chrome is on these Jeeps. I looked at some Overlands and they were even worse. Its a Jeep it should have only a small amount of chrome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deweezy View Post
They look like the Laredo wheels
They do, except they have a ridge on the center of the spoke for adhesive to help hold the cover on.
2007 3.0L CRD WK LTD - Stage 2 Custom Spooling Tune, Go Fast Parts
Pro-lite Build
2003 F250 6.0L CCLB - Gearhead Tunes
tnadanzig is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.