Removing Plastic Chrome Covers on 17" Limited Wheels - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > Removing Plastic Chrome Covers on 17" Limited Wheels

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy Aluminum BumpersThe RuffStuff "I can't go to EJS" Sale!

Unread 07-24-2013, 09:13 PM   #1
tnadanzig

2007 WK 

Removing Plastic Chrome Covers on 17" Limited Wheels

I am not a huge fan of plastic chrome so I have been trying to slowly remove it from my Jeep. I have only seen one picture of a plastic chrome wheel cover removed from the wheel. I needed some new tires so I figured this was a good time to see how a stock chrome covered wheel will look without it. I did this awhile ago just haven't had much time to get the pics posted.
Test Wheel to figure out how to get this cover off.

Tools I used to get the covers off. I pounded them off from the back side hitting only the plastic.

What the front of the wheel looked like with the cover off.

Chrome Cover Removed

Wheel cleaned up. I used some catridge abrasives and abrasive wheels to remove all the foam adhesives.

Painted Machine Grey. Not a huge fan of the color so figuring to go black.

Done and painted black.

One issue with this setup is there is no way to have a center cap on the wheel unless it is custom. One gain was the overall weight dropped about 2 lbs per wheel once the cover and extra adhesive is removed.

2007 3.0L CRD WK LTD - Mine, Custom Spooling Tune - Stage 2 Performance DPF & EGR Delete, Custom Cold Air Intake , 3" Intercooler, Turbo Resonator Delete, DPF Delete Pipe, Devil's Own Methanol Injection, SM resistor plug, SRT8 rear springs, SRT8 rear sway bar; 255/70/17 Hankook ATM's, dechromed stock wheels
2003 F250 6.0L CCLB - Gearhead Tunes
tnadanzig is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-26-2013, 06:22 AM   #2
zc911

cool, i think i'll be doing the same, i HATE all the chrome on my overland (at least you dont have a chrome roof rack, and chrome door moulding)! When i went to see it before buying it i was very suprised that the chrome wheels where essentially hub cabs lol
zc911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-26-2013, 10:45 AM   #3
torqrise
2007 WK 

Those wheels are what I had originally. When I bought this Jeep new, I had the sales manager swap the wheels off his then new Commander (with my new tires transferred of course). There was no way I was going to drive home with those plastic covered wheels. They bring back memories of mid-eighties Fords that used similar 'polycast' wheels.
sunnyday.jpg  
torqrise is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-26-2013, 03:33 PM   #4
Omelet
Evil Overlord!

2005 WK 

Looks good! I had the same wheels on my Limited when I bought it. Luckily I was about to sell them for $450 and buy a full set of 17" JK Moabs and tires for $300 I personally like some chrome, but those wheels were a bit much.

HEMI Club Member #31 - - - JEEP Makes It, HEMI Shakes It!!!
Omelet is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-27-2013, 09:59 PM   #5
deweezy
2005 WK 

They look like the Laredo wheels
deweezy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-28-2013, 12:11 PM   #6
tnadanzig

2007 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by torqrise View Post
Those wheels are what I had originally. When I bought this Jeep new, I had the sales manager swap the wheels off his then new Commander (with my new tires transferred of course). There was no way I was going to drive home with those plastic covered wheels. They bring back memories of mid-eighties Fords that used similar 'polycast' wheels.
Ya, that would be nice. I didn't quite realize when I bought it that they were that cheesy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omelet View Post
Looks good! I had the same wheels on my Limited when I bought it. Luckily I was about to sell them for $450 and buy a full set of 17" JK Moabs and tires for $300 I personally like some chrome, but those wheels were a bit much.
Thanks, I wish I could of sold mine. Its crazy how much chrome is on these Jeeps. I looked at some Overlands and they were even worse. Its a Jeep it should have only a small amount of chrome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deweezy View Post
They look like the Laredo wheels
They do, except they have a ridge on the center of the spoke for adhesive to help hold the cover on.
2007 3.0L CRD WK LTD - Mine, Custom Spooling Tune - Stage 2 Performance DPF & EGR Delete, Custom Cold Air Intake , 3" Intercooler, Turbo Resonator Delete, DPF Delete Pipe, Devil's Own Methanol Injection, SM resistor plug, SRT8 rear springs, SRT8 rear sway bar; 255/70/17 Hankook ATM's, dechromed stock wheels
2003 F250 6.0L CCLB - Gearhead Tunes
tnadanzig is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.