Removing Cross Bars from factory rack '05 WK - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > Removing Cross Bars from factory rack '05 WK

Year End Clearance Sale! Save 20%Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineNEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!!

Unread 02-05-2010, 06:03 PM   #1
maybeitsjustme
2005 WK 

Removing Cross Bars from factory rack '05 WK

Hello all,

thanks in advance for the help on this topic..

I recently bought Yakima towers and cross bars from my Jeep and would like to replace the factory installed cross bars. My cross bars have a circular dial that spins to tighten them in place and slide them up and down the roof rack's rails. However, this doesnt seem to allow you to remove them from the rails all together (which is what i want to do).

Has anyone here figured out how to get the factory cross bars off of the rails on their Jeep? I dont want to break the things--any guidance would be greatly appreciated.

This is my small weekend project--Thanks in advance--i'll be checking back for help!!!

maybeitsjustme is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-05-2010, 06:23 PM   #2
steve06hemi
2006 WK 

there are 4 very small pins that have to come out to remove the crossbars. they are on the underside of those tightening dials you mentioned. you'll need something small enough to fit in the holes then drive them out.
2006 Grand Cherokee Limited-5.7L Hemi-Brute Force CAI-Magnaflow 22" Muffler-Diablosport Predator-SRT8 Rear Sway Bar-Bilsteins-Shorty Billet Antenna-Chrome Turn Signals-Chrome Tow Hooks-Roof Rack-SS Ultras Highs/Lows/Fogs-Commander Shift Knob-20% Tint
steve06hemi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-06-2010, 12:38 PM   #3
USN_BlackWK
FLY NAVY

2010 WK 

I got frustrated trying to get the pins out without scratching paint or damaging anything and just ended up removing the side rails with cross bars still installed together. I think it is 2 torx per corner under the plastic caps. Once removed you just have to fully unscrew the knobs and the cross rails come off
Borla-S
USN_BlackWK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-06-2010, 01:17 PM   #4
robpp

^^^^^ once removed like that, drill out the hole for the pin on both sides this way no matter what next time you can do it by removing the pins.

either that or get some more sealant in those torx bolt holes since they come like that from the factory. guess some white thread tape would do the trick too.
Rob 007 Laredo 4.7 FFV 27X; DeBadg'd; Zaino'd; SRT8 Grill, Pedals, Strut; ClearBra; WeatherTech; LED Reverse; HIR Hi/Lo; SS Fog; Stealth Turns; 15% Tint; Stubbie; Rear Spoiler; Magnaflow; V1; 22Elite Console/Visors; Body Kit; Color Match Everything; TintedTails; K&N 63; Front Skid; QuickOilDrainValve; BatteryTender; SuperChips 91; Bilstein; Billet Window Switches; Greasable Addco Sways; RamMedic Hood; Fastman TB; BWoody Links; Kicker Upgrade w/Single Sub; AVIC F90BT Hacked; NeffyWrap ABCD; Putco LEDs; Viper 20s w/255/50; R1 Slot/Dimple w/Hawk Pro Ceramic; Whistler Mod w/FlashTech Halos
robpp is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-07-2010, 11:09 AM   #5
maybeitsjustme
2005 WK 

Nice, thanks for all the great advice. As a few of you had mentioned, its next to impossible to pull those pins out from the cross bar hinges. I ended up pulling off the front half of the rails. It worked, but i managed to break some of the plastic clips on the bolt covers.

A little superglue fixed those and they are back in place--hopefully to stay. If not i guess i can always reorder that part. whatever.. the rack looks way cooler now with Yak towers, crossbars, and fairing. Also have the fatcat 6 on there.. i'll try and get a picture later.

thanks again for all the help--wouldn't have known where to start otherwise.

Cheers!
maybeitsjustme is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-25-2014, 11:16 AM   #6
lonnyda

Guys, removing the crossbars is a lot easier than you think. 10 minutes tops.
First from one rear side rail, remove the top plastic cap. I removed the passenger side rear. You can do this by slipping a flat blade screwdriver in between the front outside and the top cap. There are 3 small plastic loops that hook onto the bottom. Careful you don't break one. Once the cap is off, then using a Torx bit, remove the two screws that hold the rear rail onto the roof.

Remove all 4 black plastic knobs that hold the cross rails tight.

Lift up on the loose rail and the bottom clamp that the knobs screw into will fall out. They just need just a little more height than the rail provides before it is loosened to be able to drop off. They have a small hook to them that hooks over the pin others have said they drill out. When you have one side off, then lift the crossbar higher and the other side will drop off too.

Slide the front crossbar back, and repeat to remove it. Screw in the black knobs back into the crossbars so you don't loose any pieces and can then put them away.

Screw the two Torx back into the roof, snap back on the cap to complete the job.

Thats all there is to it!

Hope that helps out!
lonnyda is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.