Remove Rear View Mirror - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > Remove Rear View Mirror

Rubicon express discounts from oconee off-roadIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineBill Baird Motorsports DIY parts - NalinMFG.com

Unread 01-16-2008, 03:02 AM   #1
groupsix

Remove Rear View Mirror

Have a 2006 Grand Cherokee
Can someone tell me how to remove pass side exterior rear view mirror (the whole thing)?

Thanks!

groupsix is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-16-2008, 07:33 AM   #2
jeepgaffer
2006 WK 

You have to pull the entire inner door trim panel off first. It is held on by three screws and eight plastic clips. Check out http://www.wkjeeps.com/interior_trim.htm for info on how to remove it. Once you get it off, there are three small nuts that you have to loosen/remove to take off the mirror. There is actually four nuts that you'll see on the inside of the door opposite of the mirror, but only three are for the mirror...I THINK it is the bottom two and the very top one, but don't hold me to that!

Hope this helps!
Unread 01-18-2008, 10:22 PM   #3
group6

Outstanding! I had both panels off last summer, I think cause I was putting film on the front windows to match the factory tint. I even have some clips, but forget finding them. It's that simple- 3 screws and off it comes, eh?

Thanks for the info.
group6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-23-2008, 08:15 PM   #4
group6

Finally got to the job. Very easy. Backing in to the garage, I caught the mirror on the door frame. The back of the unit, the black curved shell, busted/popped off. It was still intact, though there were a few immediately unrecognizable pieces of plastic on the ground. I thought it was a seperate part, but when I called the dealer, I was told it wasnt- "Oh no, you cant fix those, you have to replace the whole thing" for $150. Ah, f___ that.

I took it off and got it inside so it would warm up. On closer inspection, it was completely intact except for these pieces. I mated the pieces to where they were from (the uneven breaks on pieces and shell matched). They lined up close enough that a liquid instant super glue worked. Now I had two, square, upside down 'U' shaped structures on the inside of the shell. Around the edge of the shell, there were small indentations about 1"-2" apart and tiny male 'nubs' on the other side of the seam where the 2 halves meet. Since I couldnt see inside when I put the two halves together (believe me I tried-small gooseneck LEDs and dentists mirror) I didnt know exactly how everything lined up and met. So I needed a glue that wasnt water thin like the super glue, something thick that would bridge any small gaps. On the dry run I realized the 'U's were the 'female' side of a hook assembly that partially held the two halves together at the outboard vertical edge of the mirror. I used JB Weld, just dabbed a tiny bit at each of the indentations. It all lined up perfectly. I wrapped 3 huge rubber band around the whole thing and drove around without a passenger side mirror...

...24 hours later- like new, impossible to tell it ever happened. Put that $150 to better use.
group6 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.