Remove rear seat headrest - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > Remove rear seat headrest

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineThe Solution to Radius Arm Bind - Meet Lock-N-LoadFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options!

Unread 07-13-2009, 08:13 AM   #1
phaeton2000
2006 WK 

Remove rear seat headrest

I'm trying to get two forward facing child car seats in a 2006 Grand Cherokee. The problem I'm running into is the headrests on the back seat. They angle forward which hits the top of the car seat and causes it to lean forward also. I'd like to remove the headrests which looks like I need to remove the seat upholstery to get the brackets out of the seat. Has anyone done this before? Is removing the upholstery something that is simple to do or am I asking for trouble?

phaeton2000 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-13-2009, 01:27 PM   #2
DirtyFrank
2007 WK 

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showt...light=headrest
HEMI CLUB MEMBER #18
DirtyFrank is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-04-2013, 05:27 PM   #3
PReinie
1989 XJ Cherokee 

Here's a site which shows what to do. http://www.justanswer.com/jeep/3wiuy...-cherokee.html

The 80B6F0A7 drawing on that site is looking at the passenger-side rear of the seat, looking forward. (It looks like the front part of the seat/head rest.)

The place where Mark is showing the small flat blade being inserted, on my 2000 Grand Cherokee Laredo is a lower piece/section of the "ring". I can press it inward with a finger if I also press down on the padding/fabric.

Maybe because mine is a Laredo there is also a rather large wide knob on the lower side of the rear part of the head rest. It has triangle on it "pointing" up. If I move it up the top of the head rest will tip forward allowing the head rest to remain on the seat back and clear the tipped forward seat portion so the seat back lays flat.
PReinie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-04-2013, 09:43 PM   #4
Scottso699
2006 WK 

It has to be the dumbest design ever. I had to move my daughter to the middle when she graduated to a front facing seat! By the time my son came along we now have a different "family" car.

2006 WK Overland
2014 WK2 Limited
Scottso699 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-04-2013, 09:44 PM   #5
Scottso699
2006 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PReinie
Here's a site which shows what to do. http://www.justanswer.com/jeep/3wiuy...-cherokee.html

The 80B6F0A7 drawing on that site is looking at the passenger-side rear of the seat, looking forward. (It looks like the front part of the seat/head rest.)

The place where Mark is showing the small flat blade being inserted, on my 2000 Grand Cherokee Laredo is a lower piece/section of the "ring". I can press it inward with a finger if I also press down on the padding/fabric.

Maybe because mine is a Laredo there is also a rather large wide knob on the lower side of the rear part of the head rest. It has triangle on it "pointing" up. If I move it up the top of the head rest will tip forward allowing the head rest to remain on the seat back and clear the tipped forward seat portion so the seat back lays flat.
This is only for a WJ though - we need one for a WK.

2006 WK Overland
2014 WK2 Limited
Scottso699 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-05-2013, 03:25 AM   #6
Omelet
Evil Overlord!

2005 WK 

I thought I had some pics, but I can't find them right now.
However, if you look at the rear of the headrest where it is connected to the seat, you will see two discs. There is a small vertical slit in each disc that you can stick a standard screwdriver into and hit a detent. Apply a little pressure and pull up on the headrest. Do that to each and the headrests will come off. I hope that makes sence?!

I'll keep looking for those pics...

HEMI Club Member #31 - - - JEEP Makes It, HEMI Shakes It!!!
Omelet is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-05-2013, 03:32 AM   #7
Omelet
Evil Overlord!

2005 WK 

Oh I found one!!!

HEMI Club Member #31 - - - JEEP Makes It, HEMI Shakes It!!!
Omelet is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread Yesterday, 12:22 PM   #8
PReinie
1989 XJ Cherokee 

I found out that on my 2000GC the knob is moved a bit and it allows the headrest to tilt forward getting it enough out of the way to tilt the backrest forward and it slides past the seat when raised against the back of the front seats. It isn't obvious until you've done it once.
PReinie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.