Remote Start Stall - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > Remote Start Stall

Rough Country Deals at JeepHut.comEliminate Hood Flutter!!!Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 11-05-2012, 11:53 AM   #1
fingaz
2009 WK 

Remote Start Stall

When I click the Factory Remote Start the Jeep starts and after 7-10 seconds, the Jeep stalls out and the check engine light comes on. If I start the Jeep normally, I don't have a problem (but the check engine light is still on). Also, in the Info Center it says System OK... but obviously, something is out of whack.

I don't have a code reader and all the mechanic's/car dealers in my area are still out of power from Hurricane Sandy. When they open, I will get it scanned to see what the code is. I think I need to invest in a code scanner.

In the mean time, has anyone had a problem like this???

2009 3.7L Laredo Black | Two-Toned Leather | RER Nav/DVD/BA System | Viper alarm | HID's in the lows and fogs | Westin Brush Guard | Tinted Tails | Custom Blue LED Interior/Rear Hatch Lights | Rough Country 1.5" Spacers | General Grabber 255/70r17 -- Island Beach State Park 4x4 Mobile Sportsfishing Permit In -- To Do: Install Uniden CB, Rock lights
fingaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-07-2012, 06:42 AM   #2
btircuit

The same thing just happened with my JK... auto starts then stalls. I found how to check the DTC codes.

1. To check your Jeep JK Wrangler’s DTC codes, simply insert your key into the ignition, turn it to the ‘ON’ position but do not start the engine. Then, push the key into the ignition cylinder and while holding it in, turn it to the ‘OFF’ position and then back to the ‘ON’ position (3) times straight making sure to end with it in the ‘ON’ position. It is important to keep pushing in on the key to prevent it from catching at the different positions along the way.
2. If you do step #1 correctly, all your dash lights will illuminate and your odometer will show up as a series of (6) dashes. If your Jeep JK Wrangler has any logged in any DTC’s, they will be displayed soon after the dashes appear. Write down the DTC(s) and check it/them against the list to find out what they mean.
3. If your Jeep JK Wrangler has not logged in any DTC’s, the dashes on your odometer will be followed by the message ‘-done-’. Turn your key to the ‘OFF’ position and you will in fact be done.

SEE LINK FOR CODES AND SAVE THEM TO ADOBE!
http://project-jk.com/images/writeup...rror-codes.pdf
btircuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-07-2012, 08:11 AM   #3
fingaz
2009 WK 

btircuit: Thanks for the info. I have a Grand Cherokee (WK), but hopefully I can do it myself that way. The Pep-Boys by me JUST opened back up yesterday, but they were slammed and couldn't take me.

I was looking into purchasing a code reader myself, but this is MUCH better.

Thanks and I will report back on my finding.
2009 3.7L Laredo Black | Two-Toned Leather | RER Nav/DVD/BA System | Viper alarm | HID's in the lows and fogs | Westin Brush Guard | Tinted Tails | Custom Blue LED Interior/Rear Hatch Lights | Rough Country 1.5" Spacers | General Grabber 255/70r17 -- Island Beach State Park 4x4 Mobile Sportsfishing Permit In -- To Do: Install Uniden CB, Rock lights
Unread 11-07-2012, 09:27 AM   #4
modernblueWK

The remote start will not work with a dtc present. Maybe the dtc kicks on right after it starts and defeats the auto start. Clear the code.
Blue WK club #4
2013 HEMI Durango Awd Crew. All stock
modernblueWK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-07-2012, 11:45 AM   #5
fingaz
2009 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by modernblueWK View Post
The remote start will not work with a dtc present. Maybe the dtc kicks on right after it starts and defeats the auto start. Clear the code.
That's exactly what I was thinking. I actually started the car from right outside the drivers window looking into see what was going on. When the Jeep starts, all the light come on (just like every other car does), and then when everything finishes starting up, all the lights clear except the check engine light. So yeah... it prob starts, then the computer realized the check engine light is on and the car stops.

I still haven't gotten a lunch yet, so I haven't had a chance to go down to the garage and test to see if I can check the DTC code.
Unread 11-07-2012, 10:49 PM   #6
fingaz
2009 WK 

Update: I tried the trick for checking the codes. It didn't work for me, but I saw on other parts of the internet that it should work. I prob did something wrong.

Also, I have the fully electronic key, not the older metal key. Would that make a difference?
Unread 11-08-2012, 12:56 AM   #7
modernblueWK

Pull the neg battery cable to clear the code. Worth a try.

I have the all plastic key also. My remote start was acting up but it was the hood open switch.
Blue WK club #4
Unread 11-08-2012, 07:23 AM   #8
fingaz
2009 WK 

Another Update: Last night I tried to do the trick to check the codes and it didn't work. Nothing came up. Fast forward to this morning, I start the Jeep up and no check engine light. Did I do something to clear the code?

So I guess its fixed for now?? I still want to know what caused the code so I can fix it before it something else happens. hmm...
Unread 11-08-2012, 10:46 AM   #9
modernblueWK

Could be as simple as a gas cap
Blue WK club #4
Unread 11-08-2012, 12:59 PM   #10
fingaz
2009 WK 

Now that was another thing. During the Hurricane (of course I had to go out and check things out), I got an error message in the info center saying something about my gas cap. My park assist also went haywire, too. I was just thinking that all the wind and water was getting into everything.... and sure enough, the next day, I went out and the warning messages were gone.

Maybe this is an issue that was still there from the Hurricane. Either way, it is gone now. And hopefully the check engine light doesn't return.
Unread 11-09-2012, 05:39 AM   #11
phottomatt
2010 JK Wrangler 

Ha, after the hurricane I was getting the "lift gate open" light for 2 days till it dried out. And yes it is stalling after remote start due to the MIL light, RTFM, just kidding .
Quote from owners manual:

Remote start will also cancel if any of the following occur:
• If the engine stalls or RPM exceeds 2500
Any engine warning lamps come on
• The hood is opened
• The hazard switch is pressed
• The transmission is moved out of P (Park).

Quote from WKJeeps.com:

Remote Start button

Once the vehicle has started, the engine will run for 15 minutes. The parking lamps will remain illuminated to indicate that the vehicle has remote started and the engine is running. The lamps will turn off when the ignition is turned to RUN or the remote start is cancelled.

Remote start will cancel if any of the following occur:

If The Engine Stalls Or Rpm Exceeds 2500
Normal Time Out Run Mode (15 Minutes)
Customer Moves Ignition Into Run/start
Any Vehicle Door Ajar
Trunk/liftgate Ajar
Hood Ajar
Start Counter Reached
Low Rpm Shutdown
Key In Ignition
Brake Pressed
The Hazard Switch Is Pressed
Not In Park Or Neutral
Vehicle Speed High
VTA Alarm Triggered
Panic Mode Activated
Battery Voltage High
Battery Voltage Low
Loss Of Battery Voltage
MIL On
Low Oil Pressure
Coolant Temperature High
Crank No Start
RKE Off Message
Vehicle Not Configured
Hood Switch Not Installed Or Inoperative
No Automatic Transmission
Invalid Key
Ignition SNA (signal not available from other module)
Ignition Not In Lock
Vehicle In Shipping Mode
Vehicle Not Programmed

NOTE:

If an engine fault is present the vehicle will start and then shut down 10 seconds later.
The park lamps will turn on and remain on during Remote Start mode.
For security, power window and power sunroof operation (if equipped) are disabled when the vehicle is in the Remote Start mode.
The engine can be started two consecutive times (two 15 minute cycles) with the RKE transmitter. However, the ignition switch must be cycled to the ON position before you can repeat the start sequence for a third cycle.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.