REJ replacement - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 Old 08-21-2017, 02:57 AM Thread Starter
mronseth
2005 WK 

REJ replacement

Hi,

I have a 2005 Grand Cherokee (WH) and just the other day the factory REJ lcd screen died on me. Searching the forum I can see I am not the first to experience this.
So, I can either live with a black lcd, repair it, buy a new or get a non Alpine unit. Repairing means getting hold of a replacement PCB and doing all the fiddly bits to get it working again. Buying a new unit is totally out of the question.

Replacing seems to me to be the cheapest and easiest way out. Have been looking around a bit and came across this:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/CHRYSLER-JEE...Grand+Cherokee

Does anybody have any experience installing a non Alpine unit? Is it hard, easy, will the new unit work properly?

I don't have an entertainment system installed, nor do I have Boston or Sirius in my car.

Cheers,

-Morten

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 08-21-2017, 03:06 AM
kryton

Garage
There's a place in the uk that repairs them from 300. Used ones go for 400. You could buy the later version for extra features but make sure you buy a European head unit as the American ones won't work. Aftermarket are easy to install but if you want to retain steering wheel controls & it to work the factory amp (if you have one), you will need the correct harness & din plates which will come to about 100 but you can then fit any double din unit

Edit: are you 100% sure you don't have Boston? I thought all export models (wh) with nav came with Boston amp & speakers? I know there are a few odd spec ones out there but certainly worth double checking. There's 2 harness options, one for Boston with amp & one for non-amp so you will need to get the right one. Install for like-for-like is a 5 minute job, aftermarket is a couple of hours maximum

Edit again:
Bits you need for aftermarket are (if you have factory amp!):
Axxess CHTO-01 - Amplifier Interface Harness for Select 2005-2009 Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep Vehicles
Metra 99-6510 - Single DIN / Double DIN Installation Kit for Select 2005-2007 Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep Vehicles
Metra 40-CR10 - Antenna to Radio Adapter Cable for Select 2002-up Chrysler, Dodge, Ford, and Jeep Vehicles
Axxess ASWC-1 - Steering Wheel Control Adapter - Universal Steering Wheel Control Interface, Works with Nearly All Popular Aftermarket Receivers

Ensure you buy the correct harness. Ours being export are built in Austria. If you buy one of the other brands of harness, it is quite common for them to change the evic into German. Even if you change language back, it will revert to German again within a few seconds
post #3 of 12 Old 08-21-2017, 03:28 AM Thread Starter
mronseth
2005 WK 

Hi,

Thanks for info!
To be honest, I just assumed I don't have Boston as it doesn't say so anywhere. How can I tell?

Cheers,

-Morten

post #4 of 12 Old 08-21-2017, 03:28 AM
kryton

Garage
Here's the uk company
http://www.mapleaudio.co.uk

Might also be worth disconnecting the battery for 15 minutes to reset it. If it does come back on, you will need the radio code which should be in the front of your service book
post #5 of 12 Old 08-21-2017, 03:30 AM Thread Starter
mronseth
2005 WK 

Hmmm - won't resetting it wipe all channel-settings...?
post #6 of 12 Old 08-21-2017, 04:59 AM
kryton

Garage
Yep, will wipe everything. You could check your build sheet on the jeep website using your vin number but it's not 100% accurate or remove the r/n/s 1/4 panel in the boot to see if it's behind there
post #7 of 12 Old 08-21-2017, 05:25 AM Thread Starter
mronseth
2005 WK 

Just got build sheet from US help desk - seems I do have Boston audio :-)
post #8 of 12 Old 08-21-2017, 06:48 AM
kryton

Garage
Bonus. I thought you must have had. At least now if you go aftermarket, you have the correct shopping list above
post #9 of 12 Old 08-21-2017, 07:13 AM Thread Starter
mronseth
2005 WK 

Yes, thanks a bunch!
One small thing, though...the steering wheel control adapter has a mini-jack extension cable - what is it for? Is it needed in my case? Just curious.

Cheers,

-Morten
post #10 of 12 Old 08-21-2017, 08:31 AM
kryton

Garage
No worries, happy to help. Mini jack normally goes to the back of the aftermarket head unit iirc
post #11 of 12 Old Yesterday, 12:51 AM Thread Starter
mronseth
2005 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kryton View Post
No worries, happy to help. Mini jack normally goes to the back of the aftermarket head unit iirc
Would a unit like the JVC KW-V235DBT fit the bill? it has a built in amplifier, is that a problem?

Thanks!
post #12 of 12 Old Yesterday, 07:21 AM
kryton

Garage
Built in amp shouldn't cause a problem but you will still need to correct harness to run through the factory amp. I have an old jvc in mine & it integrates well (avx820)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.